“Clean room, friendly staff!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Heathman Hotel

You added The Heathman Hotel to your Saves list
The Heathman Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1001 SW Broadway @ Salmon, Portland, OR 97205 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #7 of 133 Hotels in Portland
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersGold level
Westwood, New Jersey
“Clean room, friendly staff!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

We stayed at the Heathman while visiting family. The room was very small but very clean, everything worked, the bed was comfy and the HVAC worked properly and quietly. We ate breakfast in the restaurant and it was very good. The staff at both the hotel and restaurant were very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Our room was very small and there almost wasn't room to fit our suitcases anywhere. But we were...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Krissy S, Online Content Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Dear Terry B,

It means a great deal to us that you took the time to review your experience at the Heathman Portland and shared it with us, and our online audience. Additionally, we couldn't be more pleased with your review! Thank you! Do come back again soon and stay awhile more!

All the best,
Krissy S.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

This was my second stay at The Heathman and I am happy to say that I left wanting more. My mother had just turned 75 and we planned a Spring Break trip together to Portland. Our room was wonderful, views of two of Portland's city streets, the concierge service was gracious and very helpful, and the atmosphere elegant, but approachable.
We took advantage of the library and the evening jazz which was a lovely end to a day's explorations. Both of us loved the central downtown Portland location. Since we were attending a performance at the Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall, we were able to spend a day sightseeing, change our clothes quickly, and walk next door for the show. There was a special birthday greeting for my mom which she thoroughly appreciated. She kept saying how relaxing this vacation was, and that is just what both of us needed. Thank you for this special Portland stay with my mom!!

Room Tip: Corner rooms have great views. Executive kings have good space.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Krissy S, Online Content Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Dear bbbolt,

Well, we want you to come back soon! So pleased you had such a gorgeous and accommodating stay, it sounds just perfect for your mother's special day!
Thank you for mentioning our library and the evening jazz, as you can appreciate both of them at the same time if you join us on certain evenings. All that said, they are both wonderful separate as well!
Glad we could be a part of this celebration and could offer you just what you needed for your time in Portland.

Take care,
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

Stayed at the Heathman for a night last week. Excellent hotel. Room, service and restaurant are great. Also, nice high class touches, like Warhol prints when you step off every elevator. This is the perfect place to stay in downtown Portland. Recommended highly.

Room Tip: Junior suite is very nicely appointed.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear Jeffrey M.,

We so appreciate you taking the time to record your experience at Heathman Portland! It was also pleasing to hear that you enjoyed the Warhol prints! We just re-framed all of those priceless wonders and we are glad they caught your attention!
Glad you also enjoyed the restaurant and service - what a stay, we must say! Come back and visit us again soon!

All the best,
Lebanon, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

This visit to the Heathman was my daughter's Christmas present to me - tickets to a musical, a weekend at a lovely hotel, and dinner at the hotel restaurant for me and a friend of my choice. Despite having our musical cancelled our stay was delightful. The staff took very good care of us and made us feel like royalty, even after we checked out and left our luggage in their care while we explored some of Portland.

The only negative was a problem in the restaurant. We had eaten brunch earlier and had been impressed by the quality of the food, but my entree at dinner left a lot to be desired. I understand that portion size is exchanged for quality flavors created by the chef, but my wild snapper was pretty much inedible. There was a large portion of a gristle-like substance that couldn't be cut or chewed. Unfortunately, our waiter never came back to check on us so I could call the problem to his attention.

That was the ONLY problem with our stay. I felt pampered and appreciated. We had some chocolates from Cacao in the room when I we arrived, which we enjoyed with our French Press prepared coffee. Sitting on the chaise in our room, eating chocolate, and sipping excellent coffee made our weekend seem absolutely decadent! We loved it!

Room Tip: I don't have enough experience to give tips, but I will mention that getting an inside room is a...
Green Features: Sorry; I didn't pay attention. I'm sure they do an excellent jobs of conserving water and other resources, though. I noticed that they had the policy of asking guests to consider not getting their towels washed every day, but I hadn't realized that the toiletries were biodegradable.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Krissy S, Online Content Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Dear Gretchen D.,

I'm so pleased your enjoyed your stay with us and what a daughter to gift you such a Christmas present! That sounds absolutely splendid, although I am sorry to hear that your show was cancelled, I'm glad you still had a great stay.
I am sorry to hear about your experience in the restaurant and hope that didn't shadow your overall experience. It sounds like the entree could have been remedied, if the service would have checked back on you. I will relay this to the restaurant manager.
All that said, it sounds like you had a wonderful getaway and we are glad we could help make it a memorable time.
Looking forward to welcoming you back soon.
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

I had an excellent stay. I received very personalized service in a beautiful hotel that is centrally located. The hotel staff is environmentally conscious and very kind. I feel the service exceeded my expectations.

Green Features: Green practices Green Seal Certified Recycles Energy-efficient lightbulbs ENERGY STAR guest room appliances Efficient ventilation system ENERGY STAR kitchen appliances
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Max19782014,

Thank you for taking this time to express and record your experience from the Heathman Portland. We really appreciate hearing the unique visitor stories and love reading about it all!
Additionally, we are so pleased you took in and enjoyed our "Green" features! We have been green seal certified for 3+ years and take great pride in continuing the tradition.
Hoping to welcome you back again soon!

Take care,
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

The location of the Heathman is excellent. I felt I was close to everything I wanted to see! Not too far from the airport or water or lots of restaurants. The rooms were kind of old (faded colors) and the lamps were kind of cheap, but the chocolate shop and restaurant next door give this place such a classy vibe, I was able to overlook these minor flaws. Service was very nice--they kept replenishing complimentary water bottles in the room and made up our room on request whenever we left. The doormen were friendly and polite. Also, free wifi. I love hotels like this where they are not trying to nickle and dime you. Overall, a great find--I was very pleased. I stayed for four nights in a queen.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the elevator are quieter (obviously)
Green Features: I noticed signs to reuse towels, but otherwise did not notice.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

HeathmanMGR, Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Dear IrisF998,

Thank you for taking time to fill out a survey concerning your stay. We are a historic hotel and do work hard to keep our value up to standards. Your opinion is greatly appreciated and we hope to see you again soon!

Jamicia Williams
Directof of Guest Services
Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

This is more like a 2 1/2 star but obviously no half-stars available... We stayed for 1 night in February. The hotel itself is nice, well located and the staff is very friendly. We ended up getting upgraded to a king bed even though it wasn't available when we made our booking.
The major downside was the room was unbearably noisy. We could hear every sound coming from our neighbors: talking, music, phone ringing, TV, etc. I was trying to watch the Olympics at night and I could hear what was playing on their TV just as loud as what was playing on my own.
There was also a ton of noise from the hall, so I'm not sure if we were in a bad location or if maybe the rooms just have horrible sound insulation. But if we go back to Portland I would most definitely stay at a different location because the noise issue made it difficult to sleep, in addition to just being annoying and constantly making you think that the neighbors can hear everything coming from your room as well...

I did enjoy the french press and local ground coffee in the room.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for a room that's nowhere near the elevator.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear jesseix,

Thank you for choosing the Heathman Hotel during your visit to Portland in February. I read your review concerning the noise level during your stay and I apologize that we did not take initiative to move you rooms or do something to compensate for you being disturbed throughout your stay with us. Our goal is to provide outrageous service on every level and again, I apologize that this did not happen. I would love to speak with you directly concerning the noise issue, please feel free to contact me at your convenience.

Jamicia Williams
Director of Guest Services

Been to The Heathman Hotel? Share your experiences!