“Such a Treat!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Heathman Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Heathman Hotel to your Saves list
The Heathman Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1001 SW Broadway @ Salmon, Portland, OR 97205 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
10% off with AAA
Ranked #3 of 132 hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Fillmore, California
“Such a Treat!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Had so much fun staying at the Heathman Hotel. The staff made us feel so welcome and went out of their way to make sure we were comfortable and had everything for our stay. Drinks in the lounge were fun and a wonderful start for our visit. Just exploring this amazing building was adventure, it is so beautiful and interesting! We had room service for breakfast and it was awesome. The fresh press coffee service was a special surprise and we enjoyed it very much. We had just a day and a half to explore downtown so it was great to be within walking distance of so many wonderful Portland places. The Picnic House right across the street served a tasty dinner. It seemed every aspect of our stay was just a little superior to all my other travels, I'm spoiled for life!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
HeathmanMGR, Guest Relations Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear Beth M,

Thank you for the spectacular review! I will share it with the whole team. I am happy to hear that you had a chance to explore so many great things about the Heathman and about Portland. We were also pleased to hear you mention the Tea Court lounge and that you were able to enjoy a cocktail in that comfortable setting! We just changed our coffee over to a local company and pleased to hear you enjoyed that as well!

970 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

We stayed at The Heathman for a few nights back in May.

As far as the physical hotel is concerned, we had nothing to complain about. The hotel is centrally located and close to shopping and restaurants. The room itself was clean,comfortable and well-appointed, but did have a very tiny bathroom, as other reviewrs have pointed out. But I can deal with that.

The hotel itself is worth 4 stars.

Unfortunately, the service didn't live up to the quality of the physical hotel. From a lost reservation (despite a confirmation) and resulting downgrade due to a lack of availablity, to an argument with the concierge about a service that was confirmed in an email but denied upon arrival and terrible, terrible, SLOW service in the restaurant, we we're less than impressed. The final straw was discovering my car, parked on the street, with the doors left UNLOCKED, despite having paid $30/night for parking/valet.

I don't know. The hotel was busy, so maybe we had a bad weekend, or just a string of bad luck. I'm not sure. I'm not completely opposed to trying the hotel again, as it has been kept in quite nice shape, but I wouldn't necessarily jump at the chance to stay here again, either.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear AshleyEve,

Thank you for your review and for taking the time to express your experience at the Heathman. We apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced during your stay. A member of our Guest Service Relations team would be happy to speak with you and would encourage you to contact us with your phone number or email address.
We look forward to hearing from you and we look forward to working with you personally in ensuring the next time around is wonderful.
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

From the Beefeater doorman to the tasteful decor, it's a great hotel. First thing we noticed is there are small check-in desks separated from each other, so you have some privacy. Check-in was quick and easy. Front desk personnel really know their stuff, from pubs to area attractions to fine dining to riding the light rail.

The rooms were very tastefully appointed and the free bottled water was appreciated (as was the high-end in-room tea and French press coffee.) L'Occitane toiletries were great, plenty of towels and nice robes and slippers. Couldn't ask for a nicer room (well, a nicer view would have been good, but not much can be done about that.)

Breakfast was included, and was good but not spectacular. Dinner at the restaurant was, again, good but not great. However, the drinks in the bar were really nice.

Overall, an excellent hotel and a good but not great restaurant. Old school service in a modern appointed hotel. Great location just two blocks from the Red and Blue light rail lines. No pool or spa (and it's $25.00 to get a day pass to the Hilton next door.)

Booked through Amex and got breakfast comp'd, $100.00 additional food/beverage credit, late check-out and $228.00/night for a Symphony Suite.

Tip: If you're not 6' 8" tall, be sure to get a chair to check the safe for valuables before you leave since it's bolted to the top shelf of the closet!

Room Tip: Upper floor, get one facing the street.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear FamilyGuyLA

What a great review – thank you for taking the time to write about your experience. It is very important to us to make sure that every aspect of a guest’s stay is smooth and comfortable. We are pleased you enjoyed the separate “Pods” we have in lieu of a Front Desk. This does offer a bit more of a one on one experience for the guests and our knowledgeable and friendly Personal Concierge.

I apologize that the restaurant fell below expectations; we would welcome you back for Brunch, for another try, as we are renowned for our special dishes offered that time. We are glad that you were able to use the $100 credit from booking through American Express. That really is a great deal!

Thank you again for your time and feedback. We hope to welcome you back again soon!
Encinitas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

The hotel was very nice, with great service. The staff was friendly and helpful in answering all of our questions. The hotel was close to the TriMet station at Pioneer Square which made it easy to get to from the airport. The room was clean and we had plenty of room.

Room Tip: Our room was a little dark as it faced an alley.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear kg55_13

We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Heathman Hotel. We strive to deliver the highest in customer service and are glad that you were able to experience this standard! The Hotel is lucky to be so close to the TriMet MAX, it really makes getting around town easier!

We hope to welcome you back again soon!
vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

We loved the Heathman. We stayed there for a week in May. The weather was cool, rainy and cloudy for the most part, but despite that, we had a great time. We stayed in a Symphony Suite, which was spacious and quiet. We were given delicious ground coffee fresh everyday and a french press so it was great to have an early morning coffee. The service was seamless, from the concierge, to room service, to the on-site restaurant. Everyone at the hotel, and in Portland for that matter, was so laid back and friendly. The location was great...a few blocks from all sorts of wonderful restaurants (Higgins is about two blocks away, plus great sushi one block away, and two great seafood restaurants just blocks away). Tourist Information was close by, the symphony was next door, and a block of food carts was a few blocks away. The food at the Heathman Hotel restaurant was very good, and we had breakfast there every day. The waiter we had was very helpful and friendly, and even took some items off our bill as "his treat" when we were leaving. This is a first!! The Heathman is a quiet hotel, and very comfortable. In the late afternoon, during the week they offer local wine tastings in their library. We would definitely return there next time we go to Portland. Not one thing to complain about.

Room Tip: We liked our symphony suite as it had two rooms separated by a sliding door and was very comfortable...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
HeathmanMGR, Guest Relations Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear MarissaVancouver,

Thank you for the spectacular review. I will share it with the whole team. I am happy to hear that you had a chance to explore so many great things about the Heathman and about Portland. Sorry to hear about the weather while you were here. I believe the best month of the whole year for weather in Portland is September. Maybe you can plan a return visit and come enjoy the truly wonderful weather that we do have this time of year. Thank you again for taking the time to submit your comments. We hope to see you soon.

Kind regards,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

Location in downtown, arts, waterfront, shopping is perfection. All levels of service are great. I arrived with no bags (airline delay) and was 100% taken care of by all staff. This was a business trip and I stayed on a company rate, but there was no drop in service and I felt like I was their only guest.

Food is very good. Drinks are great and the bartenders will chit chat with you, everyone at was great.

Room was very nice, and as I spend more time in hotel than at home, I know of what I speak. The bed was better than the Temperpedic Ergo I have at home. Plenty of plush towels. Turn down service, is great, they re-fresh your room as well.

The Heathman will be my go to hotel in Portland Always!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Buckles TX,

It is wonderful to hear you felt so taken care of while you were at the Heathman. That is our goal with every guest. Thank you for the kind words and for taking the time to submit a review. We appreciate it. We look forward to seeing you in the near future.

Saratoga, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

Great downtown location with easy MAX line access to and from PDX. I booked through AMEX Centurion Fine Hotels program and appreciate the bonus F&B credit. Here's my quick summary:

Arrival: A+ for Front Desk (F from Bell staff - more later) We arrived late morning and certainly understood that room wasn't ready. Front desk shared with us that they were preparing room on 10th floor for us. Great...we should have a nice city view! I received a call early afternoon telling me room was ready!

Check-in: 'C' Different front desk agent presents key to room on 6th floor (Rm 617). He reviewed our AMEX amenities and mentioned that VOSS water is in the room for us. OK?! I guess we were receiving a water updgrade?! I got a good laugh from that. Hey, What happened to 10th floor? Oh well, how much difference could 4 floors make?

Room: 'C' We arrived to our room and opened the door to a well appointed, clean, nice sized room. A nice gift of balloons/candy were there to congratulate us on our anniversary. Here's the disappointing part...the room was as darks as a cave with a view of a wall, yes...a wall. Yes, there was a nice mural, but still a wall. By the way, no VOSS water. Why would agents set high expectations regarding room location and then not deliver? Why didn't I complain? Well, I spend my whole life negotiating and this was my VACATION. I was not looking to place myself in a blood-pressure raising discussion.

Restaurant: 'C-' Love the idea of complimentary Cont. Breakfast. Tried on Saturday, but Dining Room was packed! They offered a seat in the bar. We sat there for over 5 minutes without being welcomed, so we left and ate elsewhere. Tried again Sunday. We received a nice window table, placed our order and waited....and waited! After 50 minutes, server asks "what did you order again"? Yes, she was apologetic. We placed our order again, and enjoyed a well cooked breakfast. Server rightfully 'comp'd" the whole meal. I watched the manager run food to tables and work the room as a good manager should, but she FAILED by not addressing us. F&B managers should always reach out to tables where there are service issues. After being disappointed 2 days in a row, we ate breakfast elsewhere the remainder of our stay. On Monday night, we cautiously tried the restaurant for dinner. We ate in the quiet room by the fireplace and had a much better experience this time....thankfully!

Housekeeping 'A' They were timely and clean! Well done. I was happy to 'tip' them each day!

Now, I realize that this will be considered 'nit-picking' by most, but I have never been ignored by bellman/beefeater staff before on such a consistent basis. These guys need training! In our 5 day stay, we were greeted only once! Never a 'good morning', 'enjoy your day', 'welcome back'...nothing! Usually the Beefeater was chatting with the Bell Staff. FYI...Mandarin Oriental are Pro's at this!

Would I go back? I would consider it based on location and value. I would lower my service expectations and probably leave much happier.

Room Tip: Be warned of wall-facing dark rooms!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear edjsaratoga

All the best,

Linda Reagan

Been to The Heathman Hotel? Share your experiences!