“Service Perfection” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Heathman Hotel

You added The Heathman Hotel to your Saves list
The Heathman Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1001 SW Broadway @ Salmon, Portland, OR 97205 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
10% off with AAA
Ranked #4 of 133 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
“Service Perfection”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

Location in downtown, arts, waterfront, shopping is perfection. All levels of service are great. I arrived with no bags (airline delay) and was 100% taken care of by all staff. This was a business trip and I stayed on a company rate, but there was no drop in service and I felt like I was their only guest.

Food is very good. Drinks are great and the bartenders will chit chat with you, everyone at was great.

Room was very nice, and as I spend more time in hotel than at home, I know of what I speak. The bed was better than the Temperpedic Ergo I have at home. Plenty of plush towels. Turn down service, is great, they re-fresh your room as well.

The Heathman will be my go to hotel in Portland Always!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
HeathmanMGR, Guest Relations Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear Buckles TX,

It is wonderful to hear you felt so taken care of while you were at the Heathman. That is our goal with every guest. Thank you for the kind words and for taking the time to submit a review. We appreciate it. We look forward to seeing you in the near future.

Linda Reagan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
Saratoga, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

Great downtown location with easy MAX line access to and from PDX. I booked through AMEX Centurion Fine Hotels program and appreciate the bonus F&B credit. Here's my quick summary:

Arrival: A+ for Front Desk (F from Bell staff - more later) We arrived late morning and certainly understood that room wasn't ready. Front desk shared with us that they were preparing room on 10th floor for us. Great...we should have a nice city view! I received a call early afternoon telling me room was ready!

Check-in: 'C' Different front desk agent presents key to room on 6th floor (Rm 617). He reviewed our AMEX amenities and mentioned that VOSS water is in the room for us. OK?! I guess we were receiving a water updgrade?! I got a good laugh from that. Hey, What happened to 10th floor? Oh well, how much difference could 4 floors make?

Room: 'C' We arrived to our room and opened the door to a well appointed, clean, nice sized room. A nice gift of balloons/candy were there to congratulate us on our anniversary. Here's the disappointing part...the room was as darks as a cave with a view of a wall, yes...a wall. Yes, there was a nice mural, but still a wall. By the way, no VOSS water. Why would agents set high expectations regarding room location and then not deliver? Why didn't I complain? Well, I spend my whole life negotiating and this was my VACATION. I was not looking to place myself in a blood-pressure raising discussion.

Restaurant: 'C-' Love the idea of complimentary Cont. Breakfast. Tried on Saturday, but Dining Room was packed! They offered a seat in the bar. We sat there for over 5 minutes without being welcomed, so we left and ate elsewhere. Tried again Sunday. We received a nice window table, placed our order and waited....and waited! After 50 minutes, server asks "what did you order again"? Yes, she was apologetic. We placed our order again, and enjoyed a well cooked breakfast. Server rightfully 'comp'd" the whole meal. I watched the manager run food to tables and work the room as a good manager should, but she FAILED by not addressing us. F&B managers should always reach out to tables where there are service issues. After being disappointed 2 days in a row, we ate breakfast elsewhere the remainder of our stay. On Monday night, we cautiously tried the restaurant for dinner. We ate in the quiet room by the fireplace and had a much better experience this time....thankfully!

Housekeeping 'A' They were timely and clean! Well done. I was happy to 'tip' them each day!

Now, I realize that this will be considered 'nit-picking' by most, but I have never been ignored by bellman/beefeater staff before on such a consistent basis. These guys need training! In our 5 day stay, we were greeted only once! Never a 'good morning', 'enjoy your day', 'welcome back'...nothing! Usually the Beefeater was chatting with the Bell Staff. FYI...Mandarin Oriental are Pro's at this!

Would I go back? I would consider it based on location and value. I would lower my service expectations and probably leave much happier.

Room Tip: Be warned of wall-facing dark rooms!
Dear edjsaratoga

Thank you for your review and for taking the time to express your experience at the Heathman. We apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced during your stay. A member of our Guest Service Relations team would be happy to speak with you and would encourage you to contact us with your phone number or email address.
We look forward to hearing from you and we look forward to working with you personally in ensuring the next time around is wonderful.

All the best,

Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Very nice staff/front desk. Only stayed a couple nights. Something was broken with the air conditioning. When I mentioned to front desk, they knocked off one night pay for valet and said they would get someone to look at it. So they try to be accomodating. Jazz music plays in the bar area. Restaurant is fancy smashy.

Room Tip: Our room on 10th floor in the corner was unusually small.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
HeathmanMGR, Guest Relations Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear SwarlsBarkley –

Thank you for taking the time to submit your comments. We apologize for any inconvenience of behalf of the air conditioning unit – we do hope the issue was promptly solved and was not a bother for the remainder of your stay. Glad to hear you enjoyed our Restaurant and Tea Court Lounge – we are pleased you were able to take advantage of the award winning food and relaxing atmosphere. We are so happy you were able to visit and hope you will return again soon!

All the best!
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I expected the Heathman to be a nice hotel and it is, but what really set it apart is the outstanding customer service. I had read that "every staff member is considered a concierge" and thought, Yeah, whatever. But my first morning there I had a problem with the shower, and when I asked at the front desk, the man I was speaking to immediately came up to my room with me to take a look. That's customer service! I only had breakfast in the restaurant, but it was excellent (I recommend the chorizo scramble) and I loved that I got coffee and orange juice as soon as I sat down. The room was a little small, but charming, and the location in downtown Portland is close to everything.

Green Features: I loved that there was a separate wastebasket for recyclables. Very handy.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
HeathmanMGR, Guest Relations Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Dear Kathleen G,
Thank you for taking the time to submit your comments. I am so pleased to know that you enjoyed the staff service while you were here. We have a dynamite team that truly loves our guests. I will make sure they all see your great comments. We look forward to having your as our guest in the near future.
PS: I also think the chorizo scramble is awesome.
Best regards,
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

A repeat visit to the Heathman was once again a good experience. The hotel has character, which you really have to have on a pleasure trip to Portland. Hotels with "character" sometimes lack comfort and efficiency, and a good restaurant. The Heathman is not one of those hotels. It is very comfortable and the service is first rate. I particularly enjoy the fact that all members of staff will attend personally to any request you make of them; they do not pass you off to someone else. Each staff member accepts "concierge" responsibilities, so no long waits for the concierge desk to clear.

Dear RNPSHP,

It is so great to hear how much you enjoyed the concierge team here at the Heathman. We take great pride in training all of our employees as concierges. We want every guest to be able to reach out to any staff member and feel well taken care of. Thank you for your kind comments. I will pass them on to the Heathman team. I am happy to hear you felt comfortable while you were our guest. We want every guest to leave here feeling relaxed. Thank you for taking the time to submit such a lovely review. We look forward to seeing you the next time you are in Portland.

Lawrenceville, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Been to Portland numerous times on business and stayed at the usual national chains. This was a very different hotel in every way and was so much nicer. Such a charming place with a lot of history and a great downtown location. The rooms were very comfortable, the service excellent, and really enjoyed the wine tasting in the hotel library which itself was an interesting experience with all first edition books by authors who have stayed at the Heathman. I can't wait till the next time in Portland.

Dear Qdog56,

I am so happy to hear that you had a chance to spend some time in our library. We are very proud of the collection we have and feel honored to have had so many great authors as our guests. It is wonderful to know that you will be visiting us again when you return to Portland. We look forward to seeing you soon. Thank you for taking the time to share your comments.

Kind regards,

Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

It's so nice to return and have the experience equal the last stay. Rooms are small, but very well done. Restaurant is outstanding, and service was fantastic as usual . The place to stay in Portland. Be sure to utilize the restaurant when staying.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear jamminneapolis,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your comments. I am so happy to hear you enjoyed the hotel and service so much. Please feel free to contact the hotel directly the next time you are planning a trip to Portland. We have many different room styles and sizes available. I am sure we can find one that you will love. We look forward to seeing you soon.

Best regards,

Linda Reagan

Been to The Heathman Hotel? Share your experiences!