“Old Charm, Updated Surroundings” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Heathman Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Heathman Hotel to your Saves list
The Heathman Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1001 SW Broadway @ Salmon, Portland, OR 97205 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
10% off with AAA
Ranked #3 of 132 hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Houston, Texas
“Old Charm, Updated Surroundings”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Wow, where to begin with our stay at The Heathman! I had read the other reviews before we checked in but I have to say if there were 10 stars available I would probably have rated this place as a 10!

We opted for one of their Symphony Suites and absolutely LOVED this one bedroom suite. It was so amazingly comfortable that we actually spent a lot of time in the suite when not visiting friends. Every change we had we changed into our PJs and laid around just relaxing. The windows opened in the living room and the bedroom so we had some really nice, fresh air coming in at all times and we slept like a baby!

The housekeepers are superb and ensured we always had what we needed. The bath towels are huge and thirsty. I'm mentioning them because they were one of the items that stood out as far as the suite is concerned. Also, they provide a beautiful french press and hot water kettle along with freshly ground coffee so you can press your own coffee...very tasty! They kept that restocked each of the 4 days we were at the hotel.

There is also a well stocked bar. When we checked in they gave us a little card that paid for the first $10 spent in the bar. Basically enough for one drink but it was a really nice gesture. We bought our own sparkling and still water to keep on hand.

The bed was so comfortable that I didn't want to get out of it. We slept a LOT while we were there and enjoyed every minute of it.

The coffee shop adjacent/hooked to the hotel was divine! They made the usual espresso drinks and sold a HUGE amount of high end chocolates...many I have never seen before. We bought several pieces along with some fresh caramels (which I'm still picking out of my teeth but they were so good). The restaurant in the hotel was SUPER pricey but we had breakfast there one morning and really enjoyed it.

There are plenty of places to eat around the hotel as well as a Nordstrom's, a Banana Republic, movie theater and other things to do.

I HIGHLY recommend this hotel. The rates are more than worth what you get in return. I/We can't WAIT to return!!

Room Tip: Opted for a Symphony Suite
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
HeathmanMGR, Guest Relations Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear ScottyHouston,

I want to thank you, first and foremost, for your feedback and comments on your experience at The Heathman. We appreciate hearing back from our guests and want you to know that we have shared your comments with the whole staff. The photos you posted were great as well. I am so happy to hear you had such a fabulous stay with us and will be coming again next time you are in Portland. We look forward to seeing you soon.

Warm regards,

928 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Not one of Portland's hip hotels, the Heathman has a greeter at the door dressed as, what is it, an English royal guard?? We had a great deal on a suite, so we went. My previous impression that the rooms are rather small and dark stays. On the other hand, we had two rooms, elegant and comfortable, spotless and a great bed. Service was efficient and friendly. We hotel hop in this frequent destination(Portland) and will stay here again. We choose among hotels on the www.travelportland.com site. Free parking and simple breakfast is always included, a huge benefit. Parking at the Heathman is $32/night.

Green Features: I think every hotel in Portland, OR is into environmentally friendly. It's Portland!
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

We stayed in another type of room, the largest suite. We will go back to the other suite which can be closed off. There was a magnifying mirror 2-1/2 feet off the ground with no possible way to use it. I moved a table and chair to use as a cosmetic table into the bathroom. Worked great. The bed was comfortable, the service was the best. The drink lounge is the best and the music was wonderful. A great way to end an evening. We'll definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Select the suite that can be closed off the bedroom area.
Dear CrownPacificGroup,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. I am happy to hear you had a nice stay with us. I will have someone look at the placement of the mirror in the suite you stayed in; we want it convenient for everyone. Thank you for bringing it to our attention. We look forward to seeing you the next time you are in Portland.

Oregon City, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

We were impressed from the time we pulled up and were greeted so nicely and catered to, the staff was so friendly and accommodating, rooms were just beautiful, cozy and so elegant! The entire hotel was just beautiful and within walking distance to our show. We will definitely be back back and next time for a longer stay!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
HeathmanMGR, Guest Relations Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear RaquelChavez,

It was so kind of you to submit such a lovely review. I am so happy to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to seeing you again soon, and for a longer stay. Next time hopefully you can enjoy the wine reception in the evening or listen to some great jazz music in our Tea Court Lounge. Thank you for your comments.

Paradise Valley, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Beautiful, excellent service of hotel staff. Valet staff are ALWAYS smiling. Nicely decorated rooms. Very perfectly situated in the downtown area. Convenient to the Pearl and Alphabet districts and to the trendy 23rd Street area. Only things to not make our stay perfect was no a/c vents in bedroom or bathroom and the not so perfect restaurant service. We had a beautiful King Suite. Sitting room was only area to have a/c. It sometimes blew out cold air. Most of the time cool air. Restaurants are beautiful and serve gorgeously presented, yummy food but always seem to be short staffed. All in all, it was a wonderful hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has a/c in actual bedroom if reserving a suite.
Dear Benee H,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your room and the staff while you were here. I will pass on your comments to the appropriate managers about the restaurant appearing short staffed. I am sorry for this inconvenience. I am happy to know that you did enjoy your meal though. The food is fabulous. Engineering is looking into the issues you mentioned with the air conditioning as we speak. Thank you again for sharing your comments; we love to hear our guest’s feedback. We look forward to having you as our guest again in the near future.

Santa Monica, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

This hotel was great for my business trip. The hotel was in a great location, had great service and great rooms. The room was a bit tight, but the bathroom was huge (they could've used some of the additional space in the room. Love the L'Occitane bath products. The free internet was a huge bonus! The library was cool - wish I had time to sit up there and browse with a glass of wine (free wine hour from 5pm-6pm). If I have to go up there again, I'll definitely choose the Heathman!

Room Tip: I believe corner rooms are a bit larger
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
earth
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

Having stayed at Heathman before, I was expecting another great experience. Overall, this second time around was not bad, and borderline very good. If I could give a 3.5 out of 5, I would. Not quite a 4 though.

First, let me preface by saying I booked two rooms via the Amex Fine Hotels and Resorts program. Perhaps because I had very good experiences at other Amex FHR properties, I expected too much. Let me elaborate.

One of the rooms I booked was a "deluxe room." I didn't expect the deluxe room to be awesome by any means, but then I didn't think it would face a brick wall either. Especially in light of Amex FHR's promise of upgrade at check-in if available. Granted, maybe they couldn't upgrade us to a better room category, but not even a better located room? Ok, fine, at least my own "executive king" room was fine. So I won't be too bothered by this. And the fact that no upgrade was available? Well, I had two rooms for four nights each, so perhaps they couldn't upgrade. OK. I'll live with that.

A second aspect of the program was free continental breakfast for two, We had four in our party, so we had breakfast each day, and I just charged it to my room. Little did I expect that unless I split the bill each morning I do not get the breakfast for both rooms. And speaking to the front desk later didn't resolve this. The response I got was that's too bad. Not a lot of money here, mind you. After all, I am spending over $2000 for my stay, but this kind of redtape bureaucracy really goes against any measure of customer service, in my mind. And it's not reversible? I didn't even want to argue. Chalk it up to experience. I just won't do this again.

The hotel has doormen who so nicely opened doors for guests. Great. Well, one of them was really very good. He not only held the door open, but said things like "welcome back." Great stuff. I didn't get his name, unfortunately. But everyone else? They didn't even look at you as you walked by. Sure, they did hold the door open, but I would have thought they were there more to greet customers than to be door-opening machines. For a hotel that says where service is still an art, or some such marketing slogan, this is rather disappointing.

As I said, we had breakfast everyday at the hotel. Overall, breakfast was okay. The wait staff at breakfast, from hostess on to waiters/waitresses were all professional and courteous. Food not very consistent, but hey, it's breakfast. No complaints (other than the idiotic breakfast billing [--]).

We also had dinner at the restaurant. Now that was quite negative. The host maitre d' was unfriendly, actually borderline rude. I really don't think a smile would kill the guy. And it's not as though we were dressed in sport shorts and flip flops either. Food was okay at best, and some of our dishes really didn't thrill. For the prices they charge, the dinner was not up to snuff. I would not eat there if I were to return.

The hotel has french press coffee in the room. They used to use Peets coffee, which was very good. This new brand they use is not quite as good. The teas though are excellent.

The Executive King room I had was very good. A corner room, and spacious. Bed was comfortable enough, though not quite the quality of a fairmont or westin bed. The bathroom was small. Its closet size include a washbasin, a toilet, and the shower/tub combo. Not crazy small, but I really expected more space for the price of the room. Large closet for clothes though, and a large counter and basin outside the shower room.

Overall, it was a good stay. But based on this experience, it's unlikely I will return to the Heathman unless I find some extraordinary rate.