“Third Time is the Charm” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Heathman Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Heathman Hotel to your Saves list
The Heathman Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1001 SW Broadway @ Salmon, Portland, OR 97205 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
10% off with AAA
Ranked #4 of 133 hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
San Diego, California
“Third Time is the Charm”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

We stayed in another type of room, the largest suite. We will go back to the other suite which can be closed off. There was a magnifying mirror 2-1/2 feet off the ground with no possible way to use it. I moved a table and chair to use as a cosmetic table into the bathroom. Worked great. The bed was comfortable, the service was the best. The drink lounge is the best and the music was wonderful. A great way to end an evening. We'll definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Select the suite that can be closed off the bedroom area.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
HeathmanMGR, Guest Relations Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear CrownPacificGroup,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. I am happy to hear you had a nice stay with us. I will have someone look at the placement of the mirror in the suite you stayed in; we want it convenient for everyone. Thank you for bringing it to our attention. We look forward to seeing you the next time you are in Portland.

984 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
Oregon City, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

We were impressed from the time we pulled up and were greeted so nicely and catered to, the staff was so friendly and accommodating, rooms were just beautiful, cozy and so elegant! The entire hotel was just beautiful and within walking distance to our show. We will definitely be back back and next time for a longer stay!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
HeathmanMGR, Guest Relations Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear RaquelChavez,

It was so kind of you to submit such a lovely review. I am so happy to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to seeing you again soon, and for a longer stay. Next time hopefully you can enjoy the wine reception in the evening or listen to some great jazz music in our Tea Court Lounge. Thank you for your comments.

Paradise Valley, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Beautiful, excellent service of hotel staff. Valet staff are ALWAYS smiling. Nicely decorated rooms. Very perfectly situated in the downtown area. Convenient to the Pearl and Alphabet districts and to the trendy 23rd Street area. Only things to not make our stay perfect was no a/c vents in bedroom or bathroom and the not so perfect restaurant service. We had a beautiful King Suite. Sitting room was only area to have a/c. It sometimes blew out cold air. Most of the time cool air. Restaurants are beautiful and serve gorgeously presented, yummy food but always seem to be short staffed. All in all, it was a wonderful hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has a/c in actual bedroom if reserving a suite.
Dear Benee H,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your room and the staff while you were here. I will pass on your comments to the appropriate managers about the restaurant appearing short staffed. I am sorry for this inconvenience. I am happy to know that you did enjoy your meal though. The food is fabulous. Engineering is looking into the issues you mentioned with the air conditioning as we speak. Thank you again for sharing your comments; we love to hear our guest’s feedback. We look forward to having you as our guest again in the near future.

Santa Monica, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

This hotel was great for my business trip. The hotel was in a great location, had great service and great rooms. The room was a bit tight, but the bathroom was huge (they could've used some of the additional space in the room. Love the L'Occitane bath products. The free internet was a huge bonus! The library was cool - wish I had time to sit up there and browse with a glass of wine (free wine hour from 5pm-6pm). If I have to go up there again, I'll definitely choose the Heathman!

Room Tip: I believe corner rooms are a bit larger
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
earth
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

Having stayed at Heathman before, I was expecting another great experience. Overall, this second time around was not bad, and borderline very good. If I could give a 3.5 out of 5, I would. Not quite a 4 though.

First, let me preface by saying I booked two rooms via the Amex Fine Hotels and Resorts program. Perhaps because I had very good experiences at other Amex FHR properties, I expected too much. Let me elaborate.

One of the rooms I booked was a "deluxe room." I didn't expect the deluxe room to be awesome by any means, but then I didn't think it would face a brick wall either. Especially in light of Amex FHR's promise of upgrade at check-in if available. Granted, maybe they couldn't upgrade us to a better room category, but not even a better located room? Ok, fine, at least my own "executive king" room was fine. So I won't be too bothered by this. And the fact that no upgrade was available? Well, I had two rooms for four nights each, so perhaps they couldn't upgrade. OK. I'll live with that.

A second aspect of the program was free continental breakfast for two, We had four in our party, so we had breakfast each day, and I just charged it to my room. Little did I expect that unless I split the bill each morning I do not get the breakfast for both rooms. And speaking to the front desk later didn't resolve this. The response I got was that's too bad. Not a lot of money here, mind you. After all, I am spending over $2000 for my stay, but this kind of redtape bureaucracy really goes against any measure of customer service, in my mind. And it's not reversible? I didn't even want to argue. Chalk it up to experience. I just won't do this again.

The hotel has doormen who so nicely opened doors for guests. Great. Well, one of them was really very good. He not only held the door open, but said things like "welcome back." Great stuff. I didn't get his name, unfortunately. But everyone else? They didn't even look at you as you walked by. Sure, they did hold the door open, but I would have thought they were there more to greet customers than to be door-opening machines. For a hotel that says where service is still an art, or some such marketing slogan, this is rather disappointing.

As I said, we had breakfast everyday at the hotel. Overall, breakfast was okay. The wait staff at breakfast, from hostess on to waiters/waitresses were all professional and courteous. Food not very consistent, but hey, it's breakfast. No complaints (other than the idiotic breakfast billing [--]).

We also had dinner at the restaurant. Now that was quite negative. The host maitre d' was unfriendly, actually borderline rude. I really don't think a smile would kill the guy. And it's not as though we were dressed in sport shorts and flip flops either. Food was okay at best, and some of our dishes really didn't thrill. For the prices they charge, the dinner was not up to snuff. I would not eat there if I were to return.

The hotel has french press coffee in the room. They used to use Peets coffee, which was very good. This new brand they use is not quite as good. The teas though are excellent.

The Executive King room I had was very good. A corner room, and spacious. Bed was comfortable enough, though not quite the quality of a fairmont or westin bed. The bathroom was small. Its closet size include a washbasin, a toilet, and the shower/tub combo. Not crazy small, but I really expected more space for the price of the room. Large closet for clothes though, and a large counter and basin outside the shower room.

Overall, it was a good stay. But based on this experience, it's unlikely I will return to the Heathman unless I find some extraordinary rate.

Honolulu, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

We loved this downtown Portland hotel for its old world charm and modern conveniences. Crystal chandeliers, original artworks, and fantastic book collection show its sophistication and good taste. Great location close to Pioneer Square, easy access to public transportation, with shopping and restaurants nearby make this an excellent choice for travelers wanting an inner city experience. Staff was friendly and most accommodating all our requests. They engaged us in conversation and helped us with our requests for info or reservations. Concierge staff was helpful with trip planning prior to our arrival and had good follow up after we arrived on property. Beds and rooms were quite lovely and well appointed. We took advantage of advance booking and payment and saved a few bucks through their online package options. They have a great website, too. Loved the fireplace room and appreciated the doorman's presence. Dined at Higgins just down the street for an excellent meal. Also enjoyed Portland Art Museum and Farmer's Market, both within easy walking distance. Check out the Goodwill Store just around the corner--this is an upscale boutique with great prices on gently used treasures. And don't miss Huber's for the Spanish Coffees! Enjoy tea in the afternoons (make reservations) and jazz at night in front of the fireplace in the gorgeous lobby.

Room Tip: 605 is a corner deluxe king with windows on two sides, so bright and airy. Located at the end of the...
Green Features: Great sustainable practices. They are trying to be green in many aspects of the hotel operations. Very impressed!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
HeathmanMGR, Guest Relations Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Dear TripTalkHawaii,

What a lovely review, thank you for taking the time to submit one. We really appreciate hearing the feedback from our guests. It is great to hear how much you enjoyed the artwork around the hotel. We have a great collection from many fabulous and talented artists. Sounds like you had a busy itinerary while you were here. I am so happy that you had such a nice time. Hopefully you will be able to come back to Portland soon and see more of our great city and let us pamper you.

Best wishes,

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

The Heathman is a perfectly located hotel for sight seeing, but that is only one reason to stay here. The warmth, service and beautifully decorated rooms are more reasons to stay. i felt like I had stopped back in another era more gracious than this one. We had a gorgeous suite - the Renaissance Room - not that large, but on a quiet corner with two bathrooms. Divine. The furnishings were gorgeous, the bed very comfy. This is an intimate hotel, but due to its age you have to be careful which room you book. Some can be noisy. Get a corner suite and you will be happy. Our car was always delivered promptly when we called for it, umbrellas were always handed to us, water offered, and this was only to go 5 blocks. Great service. Eclectic group of people stay here. Everything from dowagers to rock stars. Being surrounded as the hotel is by the Performing Arts Center, I am sure they must get their share of stars.
We would certainly stay here again when in Portland. They have a wonderful jazz singer, Linda Lee Michelet on one Saturday a month. And the food is delicious - pricey but worth it. For those of you who read "Fifty Shades of Gray" do not look for Christian's suite here as it does not exist. Brought the hotel a lot of business though. :-))

Room Tip: Corner suite - Renaissance room. We had 502. Any of the "02" rooms would work. You will...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Jean H,

Thank you for your kind comments. I am thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed the hotel and the staff. We have a great staff here and they truly love our guests. I am glad you enjoyed the jazz performance as well. Thank you for pointing out what great guests we have staying with us. It is the best part of our day. I look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Portland.

Warm regards,

Linda Reagan

Been to The Heathman Hotel? Share your experiences!