“Great location but rooms and upkeep were not exceptional” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Heathman Hotel

You added The Heathman Hotel to your Saves list
The Heathman Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1001 SW Broadway @ Salmon, Portland, OR 97205 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #7 of 133 Hotels in Portland
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersGold level
Plano, Texas
“Great location but rooms and upkeep were not exceptional”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

You would expect luxury at an expensive boutique hotel but we had a few blips. We had 2 rooms, one for grandparents and one for parents with a 5 year old. The sofa bed for the child was broken and was repaired 2 days later. The grandparents had to call twice for soap and shampoo. Beware that pets are also allowed as the first night our "neighbors" were talking loudly, playing the TV at 3 am and the dog was barking. The drapery also was hanging off the hooks. You would think housekeeping would notice these things on change of rooms.

We booked this hotel for a few days after staying in Cannon Beach so we also would have liked a small refrigerator for some of the food and fruit as a previous reviewer commented..but we did remove the liquor and snack items temporarily.

The location is what sold us originally on this hotel and it is well situated. Not sure whether other hotels in the area would offer better value.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
HeathmanMGR, Guest Relations Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
Dear Hondo3700,
I am so sorry to hear that you did not enjoy every aspect of your stay with us. It is unacceptable and not up to Heathman standards that your pull out sofa did not operate properly and you had to call for soap and shampoo. I have passed on your comments to the appropriate staff members and we are looking into ways to improve on these items immediately. We hope that you decide to stay with us again on your next visit to Portland. I can personally assure you that you will have a more positive experience and we will provide an extra refrigerator in your room prior to arrival. Please feel free to call me to discuss these matters personally. Thank you for providing your feedback.

Linda Reagan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

We were really pleased with our recent stay. We chose a Renaissance King room, which other hotels would probably class as a Junior Suite. It was large and had a separate living room area and bedroom area. They were not separated by a door or other partition, and there was only 1 TV, but otherwise it was similar to a suite. Also, it had 2 full bathrooms - 1 large and 1 small - both modern with nice fixtures. At first, my husband and I thought we would share the large bathroom and use the small one as an extra - but I liked having my own bathroom so much I just used the small one and let him have the big one.

The Renaissance King room is just slightly more expensive than the standard rooms, and is substantially cheaper than their specialty suites. It's an excellent value, and if I stay here again it will be the type of room I pick.

The hotel location is very convenient for walking around the city and going to the main tourist sites. The only problem we ran into is that the hotel staff gave us incorrect directions a couple of times. Your GPS is more reliable.

The restaurant food and service was excellent. The room had a French press coffee maker, an electric kettle and good coffee and tea choices, with real half and half rather than powdered creamer. Overall, an excellent hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Copygirlboston,

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review. I have to agree that the Renaissance Suite is a great suite with the two bathrooms. I have stayed in one of the suites myself and loved having my own bathroom. I am thrilled you had an opportunity to visit our exceptional restaurant during your stay. It is one of the best in the city. We would love for you to be our guests on your next visit to Portland. We hope to see you soon. Thank you again for taking the time to write such a great review.

Kind regards,

Kirkland, Washington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

I loved staying in this hotel. It felt luxurious and plush, while still maintaining a charming, eclectic Portland vibe. The location is perfect - walking distance to all kinds of great restaurants, shopping, and bars - and the staff is incredibly accommodating. My girlfriends and I came from Seattle to Portland last weekend for my bachelorette party and had an amazing time staying at the Heathman. The staff ensured that we had a block of rooms together, one of which was the Fine Art Suite. We enjoyed its beautiful, spacious lounge, which was perfect for getting ready together and enjoying a bottle of champagne before a night out on the town. The little details made it feel especially swanky - turn down service in the evening, a french press coffee pot with Peets coffee for the morning - we felt like VIPs! It's a classy, charming hotel, but doesn't feel pretentious in the least. I could just as easily come with family or my fiance as with a gaggle of girls. Overall, it was a fantastic experience staying at this hotel, and I will undoubtedly be back!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Amy C,

I am so happy to hear you had such a great weekend. It sounds like tons of fun. I am also glad you had a chance to experience one of our new signature suites. We have four of them and I hope on your next visit you can stay in one of the other suites. They all have a specific theme. They are all fantastic. Hopefully we can assist you in making this an annual girls weekend for you and your friends. We hope to see you soon. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Warm regards,

Arnold, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

We were looking for a boutique hotel but in a location close to everything in Portland. The Heathman fits the ticket. Within easy walking distance of all the shops and restaraunts in downtown. The room is well appointed but I would have liked a minifridge for some of the fruit and stuff I bought at the farmer's market. You have to pay for a boutique hotel, but it just didn't feel like there was enough at the hotel to justify the expense. The "gym" is two ellipticals, two treadmills and a place for sit ups. Not as good as some others I have stayed in...

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Steveinarnold,

Thank you for providing your feedback. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and the location. Portland is such a great walkable city with so much to see and do. On your next visit you can request an extra mini refrigerator in your room; we will be more than happy to assist you with this. It is hard to resist getting the farm fresh fruits and vegetables at the farmers market. We just recently finished a remodel of our fitness room and have all new equipment with some new pieces in there. Although cozy, our fitness room has all the basics needed for a full workout and a few extras as well. I hope you had a chance to visit our library and wine reception in the evenings, or maybe the live Jazz. We have so much to offer here at the Heathman Hotel. Please feel free to contact me for a list of events and amenities.
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

My daughter and I stayed at the Heathman after a large family trip to the Oregon Coast. I was a little worried about taking a child (12 year old) but it was wonderful. The staff was very friendly and welcoming. The Doorman is fabulous. We were within walking distance or near public transportation to everything we wanted to do. We looked in on the bar with the band on Thursday night and it looked very inviting, but it just wasn't the right fit for this visit.

The art in the hotel was gorgeous. The rooms are small but very well appointed.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
HeathmanMGR, Guest Relations Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
Dear Akhaustin,
Thank you for taking the time to record your positive comments regarding your recent visit to the Heathman. Your kind words were much appreciated!
We always make sure to help accommodate our guests to best reflect their needs for each particular visit. We are pleased to see that we were able to help you experience what makes the Heathman, and Portland, such a great place to visit – no matter your age!
It is always a pleasure to read our guest’s reviews and we hope you will be returning to stay with us in the near future!
Warm regards,

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

Totally satisfactory. Good central city location--nice urban neighborhood. Surprisingly tasty fare in the hotel restaurant--the breakfast salmon hash is mouth-watering. The room was a little on the small side for our family of four, but this is not unusual in traditional downtown hotels. Helpful staff, particularly the doormen.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear Andlovingit,
We are so pleased that your stay exceeded all expectations in all aspects of your stay and we most certainly look forward to welcoming you back soon! We are particularly pleased that you were able to experience our Salmon Hash – it has received top awards!
If you do plan to return to the Heathman, we would be happy to help you find a room that fits your needs best. Please feel free to contact me directly the next time you plan to come to Portland.
Kind regards,

Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

Just got back from 3 great nights at this charming downtown hotel. The Heathman does classic without being stuffy. I love the main entrance, the cozy and low lit lobby, great sitting areas. I booked the symphony suite as a treat to myself and it was like having a small studio apartment in NYC's Chelsea with wonderful staff; walking distance from great spots, shopping, and a quick cab to everyplace else. With 24 hour room service. Top notch people, very friendly staff. Fantastic hotel restaurant and bar. Will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
HeathmanMGR, Guest Relations Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Dear Barbie892,
You are so kind. Thank you for the great review. I am so happy to hear you had such a great stay with us. We can’t wait to have you as our guest again. See you soon!
Linda Reagan

Been to The Heathman Hotel? Share your experiences!