“Dirty and Disappointing” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #66 of 133 Hotels in Portland
San Francisco, California
“Dirty and Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I ended up here through a priceline bid. Hugely disappointed by the quality and cleanliness of the room. Housekeeping left a lot to be desired. Definitely expect more from a "4 Star" hotel. It was an unusual 104 degree day in Portland and after checking in I threw my bags down and headed to the pool. It wasn't until I hopped in the shower that I realized how dirty the room was. Mid way through my shower, I noticed long black hairs were all over the tub rim, shower curtain and tiles. It was pretty disgusting. After getting out I paid closer attention to the rest of the room. The toilet had not been cleaned and stains from the previous user surrounded the bowl. The desk in room had not been wiped down either and the comforter was nicely stained as well. On my way to dinner I mentioned to the front desk that housekeeping had done a poor job. They were nice enough to switch me to a new room, which wasn't much better. Would not stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Westminster, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

Recent business trip brought us to this Sheraton. Have stayed a numerous Sheratons before but this one was not up to par. The lobby and common areas are great.

Our room however was facing one of the run ways. Course you have two runways one on each side of the hotel so I imagine there is not a room that you do not hear the planes. Thank god they do not have many flights at night. They start about 6:30 and go til about 11, or at least that was the last I heard.
This room we could hear the people talking next door. It was almost like we were in their room with them. The carpets were dirty and the bathroom was very bad. Clean but definitely needed a updates look. Luckily we were not in it much. Definitely need to renovate this room 350 at least.

We were also there when there was a reunion and wedding going on and two days of no sleep because of the loud and inconsiderate guests was not a plus. We finally had to call security after the 2 nd night.

If you want something close to the airport for a conference it is good. Just check out the room really well before you accept it. We were just to tired of travel to do so, so put up with the noise for the short two days we were there.

Restaurant was good. If you want other choices you need a car or take the light rail to town, nothing within walking distance. Staff wonderful and helpful like the other Sheratons I have stayed at, but would not stay there again.

Vancouver, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

Great staff. Can I say that again? Great staff. The desk folks, the cleaning folks, the staff in the Club Lounge were all so pleasant and nice. Great internet (now free in all rooms for all folks, despite what their website said on the day we headed there). Gym nice. Club level was among the best we ran into in our many stays. A large hotel near an airport. But done well given the building and the location.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

Big comfy clean room.

I have a devil of a time getting the cardkey to work. I haven't swiped it eight times to no avail, then son does it and it takes. Yes, I'm doing it right.

I had a horrible shower. Got the water the right temp, soaped up, pulled the lever to get the shower out of the top instead of the spigot, and it was ice cold! I let it run and run and run, switched it all the way to one side, then the other, waiting a long time between each time I moved it. Then I figured I was too stupid. Turned the whole thing off, and started over. The water ran fine, quick and warm from the spigot, but ice cold from the shower. Fortunately, the bathtub didn't drain so I could rinse off by taking a bath, but was unable to wash my hair. And getting out of the bathtub is tough for me. I'm too old!

I complained and came back later in the day. The water was out of the tub, I turned it on and found hot water from the shower so I took one. But it ran ice on and off throughout the shower, so now I wonder if it is just insufficient hot water for the hotel and it was worse when everyone was bathing in the morning. At least my hair is clean!

Front desk and staff are all pretty ho-hum. They didn't care about the shower dilemma, although, as I said, it was fixed. Still, no apology or concern. Lukewarm and apathetic.

Room layout is a bit crazy. Bring an extension cord since there aren't many accessible outlets.I had to unplug the clock to plug in a CPAP machine. I can't figure out how to turn some of the lights on. Light switch for the room is way into the room, not by the door, and hard to find in the dark. To close the curtains, you have to scootch in behind the desk and it is pretty tight and awkward.

I like the free water bottle and a nice little fridge. Big television and there is an N64 controller but I don't know if there are games or if it costs money. Restaurant had great food. Very healthy and fresh.

I would stay here again if I had to, but I certainly wouldn't choose it.

Room Tip: Be prepared to walk far to get to any of them. The handicapped ones are farthest away. Go figure!
Auburn, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

We got a good deal through name-you-own price on priceline so we weren't expecting the Ritz Carlton. However, from the Sheraton name I would've expected more. The rooms seemed to be retrofitted with new fixtures and appliances but wallpaper was peeling off, the lighting in bathroom was terrible and there was a very small three fold mirror on the complete opposite end from the electrical outlet. Good thing the hair dryer cord was long. The beds were somewhat comfortable, decent for an overnight stay. Earplugs were offered since the property is located facing the PDX runway but our pack seemed to be pre-opened. Not a bad place to stay for the money we paid and only needing it overnight, but overall surprised by the lack of quality in the rooms for it being a Sheraton. However, this is typically what we've noticed when we've done the name-your-own price.

At the Portland airport with many rooms that overlook the runway. Noise didn't seem to be a problem for us but could for others. Earplugs were offered, although our pack seemed to be somewhat opened. Good shopping and dining near by at Cascade Station and conveniently located near I-205 freeway, also 5 minutes from Washington border. Light rail also within one mile.

Room Tip: Rooms on northside face runway and could be louder.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Tacoma, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

We stayed here twice within the week of Aug 12-19. The only reason both times, was because this was the 3.5 star hotel that hotwire stuck us with. As you probably know with hotwire you don't know the actual property you will be staying at until you submit your payment.
First the pros: the lobby, bar and restaurant are are all very nice. Free wifi in the rooms (although very slow, don't bother streaming netflix.) the restaurant did a good job with our breakfast and we slept great both nights...very comfortable beds. They also had a nice 42" flat screen LG TV.
As commented on by other guests, the rooms seem old, it's definitely an older hotel. They are doing some minor renovations, new carpet in the hallways etc...however both rooms we stayed in had stains on the carpet. (rooms 506 and 530) The ceilings are old popcorn style ceilings, and many spots were water stained. Same issue in both rooms. The finish on the doors was peeling in some parts. There were just a lot of little details that I didn't like. If you're picky and little cosmetic things like that bother you, I would choose a newer hotel.
The service and the staff were just fine, they were all friendly and prompt when I had a question or problem. My daughter loved watching the planes land and take off. The hotel is about 100 yards from the runway, although the sound didn't bother us at all, but if you enjoy plane watching you can request a runway view.
If I ever stay in the PDX area again, I would not willingly choose this hotel. But I like to gamble with hotwire so who knows.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Hillsboro, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

Check in was fairly quick about 5 mins top. The bar last call was about 12:45am and the bartender was funny and really good at mixing drinks. The chef came out to visit and he has been there for the last 25 years. The food was EXCELLENT. Cool thing about the chef was his 2nd job was as a vet. Pretty awesome if I must say so myself. As you walk into the hotel there are public computers you can use to get on the internet free of charge. The rooms were updated and were beautiful. they had complementary ear plugs in case you needed them. I didn't use them and I still got a good nights rest. The bed was comfy and lots of pillows to go around. The comp soap they gave in the rooms had a great fresh scent. Bathrooms weren't huge but they worked well. One of the nifty things about this hotel is the pool area was open 24 hrs I think that's AWESOME. Also from this hotel you could catch the hotel shuttle and have it drop you off at the sister hotel aloft in cascade station. Cascade station has all the major shops and restaurants nice place to visit. When you are done in that area just go back to aloft and ask for a shuttle back to the sheraton and they'll gladly take you back. They also have a small lottery poker room for those who enjoy such things. Breakfast was great. The server named lani was awesome. I was about to order one thing and she steered me to the salmon egg benedict. I actually do not like runny eggs but this was a winner I LOVED it! Overall a great place to stay!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
SheratonPDX-GM, General Manager at Sheraton Portland Airport Hotel, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Dear Evalady,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us from your recent visit to our property. I'm so pleased your experience with our Chef and Lani were memorable and hope this will keep you coming back to the property again and again. I look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Warm regards,

Glen Lewis

Been to Sheraton Portland Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!