“A Surprise for Me!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of RiverPlace Hotel, a Kimpton Hotel

Save Saved
You added RiverPlace Hotel, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
RiverPlace Hotel, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1510 SW Harbor Way, Portland, OR 97201 (Formerly RiverPlace Hotel, A Larkspur Collection Hotel) (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save Up To 20%
Ranked #1 of 132 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersSilver level
“A Surprise for Me!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014 via mobile

My fiancé surprised me with a weekend here on my birthday. We live in the area but got 'away' for the 4th of July weekend. When he told me, I called Kimpton immediately, as I had a 20% off discount in my email from Kimpton sent to me that day. The woman from RiverPlace apologized, that being a holiday weekend those dates were blocked out from the deal.

It didn't matter.

They knew it was my birthday weekend and they knew it was our anniversary month. When we arrived our room had been upgraded, and a bottle of champagne and two red velvet cupcakes with candles were waiting for us with a handwritten card when we got to our room.

As if that was not enough.

The celebrations and extras were many! Fourth of July presented a table of beautiful treats for families and couples alike. The hour wine and beer is served, so is popcorn. Oh yes, and chocolate chip cookies too! The second evening the hour was hosted outside, and my fiancé tried his first s'more.

The services absolutely fantastic, and it was such a busy weekend with the blues festival going on at the river's park. We met so many nice people and everyone seemed very happy with their stays!

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Ryan K, General Manager at RiverPlace Hotel, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
What an exciting time to be staying with us. Not only were you celebrating your birthday and anniversary but you and your husband got to enjoy all of the 4th of July events that happen in and around the hotel. So glad you loved the experience.

Ryan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (379)
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

We stayed at the Riverplace Hotel based on the overwhelming number of 5 star TripAdvisor reviews. This was our first trip to Portland so I don't have another local hotel for a direct comparison. My rating is based on my experience from other 5 star properties and the associated value.

We stayed at the Riverplace for 3 nights.

The hotel has many good things to offer: 1) great location on the river; there are plenty of places to eat within a few feet of the hotel and downtown is just a short walk away; 2) excellent hotel staff - both at the front desk and guys working the front door; everyone was always friendly and helpful; 3) free bicycles available to tour the city - bikes were generally in good condition, tires could use some air but otherwise fairly nice bikes. 4) clean rooms - always a big plus in my book.

Based on the above, I would have rated the hotel 4 stars. The offsetting factors that lowered my overall rating were the following: 1) there is nothing grand about the hotel - the lobby is average and the hotel rooms are average, there was really nothing to differentiate it as a 5 star property; 2) the hotel and rooms are a bit dated and tired looking - the bed was comfortable but the furnishings were bulky and didn't fit the room. 3) room was above average on the noise level - you could hear people talking as they were walking along the river way below and there was noticeable traffic noise from the bridge across the river.

Other things that I consider a nuisance and distraction: 1) no free wifi unless you are a kimpton member otherwise it's 12.95 a day; 2) valet parking is $31/day - service to retrieve the car was a bit slow - friendly but slow - I didn't expect to park for free but it seemed a bit much for the city.

Based on everything above and when you consider that we paid +$400 night overall(excluding food) - I was expecting more from this hotel. I have been fortunate to stay in other 5 star properties in different countries over the years, unfortunately the Riverplace just didn't meet my expectations of a 5 star property - it's a nice place but value-wise, it's only 3 stars.

I would definitely try a different hotel if I make it back to Portland.

Room Tip: Riverview rooms have a great view but you can hear the street noise from below and traffic noise fro...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Ryan K, General Manager at RiverPlace Hotel, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Thank you so much for your review and feedback. I am so sorry that we did not meet your expectations. To be honest I do not consider our hotel a 5 star property. I feel we certainly provide 5 star standards of service but when I think of 5 star hotels I think of marble everywhere, huge chandeliers, and valets with white gloves. That is really not who we are or what we are trying to be. I feel the RiverPlace offers a style of service that compliments the friendly Portland culture and the comfortable setting of our hotel and location. I hope this helps other readers of your review and those looking to chose a hotel in Portland a better understanding of what to expect. Thank you again for staying with us and providing your feedback on your experience.

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

In researching a place to stay in PDX, "great service"" was the key phrase that came up on almost every TA review of RiverPlace. Well, it turns out to be accurate and hard earned. The service really was superb. Nice doorman, helpful check in folks, free use of the hotel bikes and just friendly folks made this a lovely stay.

We were exploring PDX for the first time and like the first time in any new, exciting city, its a bit daunting to get situated and to formulate a plan of attack. RP's location turned out to be ideal to explore both sides of the river, from Hawthorne to Nob Hill on bikes and even over to Hood River via car. If you know you want to be in a specific area of town, a more provincial choice may win out, but for a non-committal (central) choice, RP was ideal.

We had some meals (a breakfast and a lunch) in the restaurant - the food was good and again, the service was friendly and helpful. We even had to get some laundry done after I face planted in some mud and the service was, well...you get the idea.

For a few ideas on exploring PDX, the two neighborhoods I mention above both warrant several hours of shopping and hanging out. It is a good place to ride a bike once you figure out how the roads that are set up for bikes (not all are, but you can get anywhere on good bike routes). I rate some other places separately if you are interested in the specifics of some of our favorite places.

Boise, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

This is one of my favorite hotels in P-town..... I have stayed here at least a dozen times. Located right on the water, this hotel is situated on the edge of town, overlooking the river. The quality of service is unparalleled; the entire staff seem to truly love what they do.
If you get a chance, go out the back doors and walk along the river, it's so beautiful.
Inside, the rooms are spectacularly decorated and offer supreme comfort. I really like the yoga equipment they provide in the rooms ^_^
I do not own a dog, but I am an animal lover, so knowing this place is pet friendly warms my heart.

Stayed June 2014
San Jose
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Stayed here with by husband for one night on the first of our Oregon road trip. Unfortunately we spent less than half a day here due to a last minute flight cancellation by United and being given a beater car (bad brakes, headlight out, etc.) by Avis that we had to return. We arrived late and were greeted at the door by the valet parker. Check in was smooth and we were upgraded to a River view one bedroom suite. This would be ideal if you are staying for a while. It had all the bells and whistles. Kitchen, dishwasher, laundry, fireplace, small balcony on the marina and a very comfortable bedroom. The view of the marina from our particular suite was blocked by trees, so no real view. Also this is located in a private residential wing that can only be accessed by going out of the hotel and it was a bit of a hoof with the suitcases. There were a few places on a couple of the walls in the bathroom and hallway that had been damaged and needed some repair but they weren't deal breakers and in comparison with the rest of the suite were very minor. We had breakfast in the morning at the hotel restaurant (Three Degrees Restaurant). Nice comfortable place with a good view of the river and the river walk outside. Food was excellent and the service was as well. Would definitely recommend this hotel/restaurant and commend the staff for their fine service. Just as an update on United and Avis. United finally refunded the outbound portion of our tickets after many phone calls and mailing of receipts. We were able to book a Virgin America flight to Portland. Avis gave us a nice Prius at a discounted price.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Ryan K, General Manager at RiverPlace Hotel, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Sorry to hear about you getting delayed and cutting your time at the RiverPlace short. Those darn airlines! Glad to hear they are taking care of you. Thanks for the review and your very kind words about our staff at both the restaurant and hotel. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Not only was this hotel in a great location, it offered the best AUTHENTIC service I have ever had. Not stuffy or pretentious, but genuine friendliness. We actually came back a week later just to catch our plane after a week's touring in Oregon. They welcomed us to stay for the day and even held a package for us. This is the only place I would stay in Portland.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
I always wondered why hotel managers would train their employees to be stuffy and pretentious. Who wants that kind of service!? I love staying at smaller hotels where the staff becomes like family and friends. From the sound of things we nailed it. Thanks for the awesome review!

Renton, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Let's face it: Kimpton Hotels know how to provide superior customer service and fun and funky amenities. And RiverPlace is one of Kimpton's best hotels. The staff is AMAZING. We arrived a few minutes after the manager's cocktail reception ended and Ellie, at the front desk, went and got us a couple of glass of wine anyway. She also sent a complimentary goldfish to our room so we could have a pet for the night.

We ended up with an awesome room overlooking the courtyard on the second floor and the street. The bed was tastefully put in front of the big windows in the corner, and the mattress and pillows were so very comfortable. The Etro bath amenities were nice, as was the bathroom scale, big windows with shutters, yoga equipment and umbrella in the closet, and the plush robes.

I love seeing the dogs in the hotel with their guests. Everyone from staff to guest seemed so happy. I'd stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Isn't Ellie wonderful! Sorry you missed our wine hour but so glad to hear you still got to enjoy some vino before heading up to the room. Also i'm excited that you found our amenities we offer fun and unique it's what we strive to do!

See you soon,

Ryan

Been to RiverPlace Hotel, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!