“RiverPlace Hotel is by far the best hotel I've ever stayed.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of RiverPlace Hotel, a Kimpton Hotel

You added RiverPlace Hotel, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
RiverPlace Hotel, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1510 SW Harbor Way, Portland, OR 97201 (Formerly RiverPlace Hotel, A Larkspur Collection Hotel) (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save Up To 35%
Ranked #1 of 133 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Pasadena, California
“RiverPlace Hotel is by far the best hotel I've ever stayed.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Having stayed ay many hotels, and many of them being Kimpton, throughout my young life, this was the best stay I've ever had. My girlfriend, pup and I all really loved visiting Portland a lot, but this stay made it even more home-y for us. We are visiting different cities as possible places to live in the next few years, and this about did it for us. All of the staff was not only nice and friendly, but very helpful and knowledgeable. We were always greeted as we walked by the front desk and it was always with a smile. The rooms we stayed in were all neat and clean, which is how it should be, but often times it doesn't end up that way. I say rooms because we originally planned to stay 4 nights in our King Executive Suite, but decided a day or two before we were to check out that we wanted to extend our stay. Maya helped us and tried to get us to stay in the same room we were currently in, but kindly explained that she would do her best because there were other guests that were gonna occupy the King Exec Suite the day we were supposed to check out. She worked with us on getting a room on the same floor since we all find it a hassle to have to move rooms for one night. Like the King Exec Suite, the King Deluxe room was just as neat and clean. The views on the river side are all very nice. John helped us out a lot the first few nights we were there and he was great as well.

Overall, the stay here is comfortable and very clean. I love the coffee in the morning as well. I'd say the only downside of a hotel in any downtown, in general, is the lack of a self parking garage. Luckily, there was plenty of street parking available and even the Valet attendent, told me that it would be the cheaper route for us since we were staying so long. Thus, we tipped him on our way out. He also gave us great tips for places to go in the city and surrounding neighborhoods. I forget his name, but he had a dark, stubbly beard, young, dark complexion and very knowledgeable of the city. Also, when we got back home, we realized that we left our dog's bath towel in the second room we stayed at, so I called and spoke to Maya. She transferred me to lost and found, but they didn't answer so I left a message. Nick returned my call the next day and told me he was checking on it and that he would let me know if he had found it or out. He called me back and let me know he didn't find it, but would still keep searching. Well, the day after that he found it and he is shipping it out to me. I love that they were able to find it!

If you're looking for a place to stay in Portland, RiverPlace is the place. They can not only give you a nice stay, but great suggestions on where to grab some good eats. I will definitely be back and staying with you all. Thanks again!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (402)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

We stayed in Portland at the RiverPlace hotel over the Easter weekend for 3 nights. We were weighting up whether to stay in the city center or just outside and the RiverPlace was just about perfect.
Its at the bottom of a park that stretched along the river, so that it was only a 10-15 minute walk along the park to get into the city center, and maybe 20 minutes to walk to the NBA game at the rose center. (there was also a great 5km loop using the bridges from the hotel)
We stayed in a newly refurbed room, and although we had an issue with a late check-in, this was dealt with very well by the staff. We enjoyed the hotel bar and restaurant - the patio for the bar in particular was a great spot getting the sun for a good portion of the day.
As for Portland itself, we caught an NBA game, went over to the Pearl district, which had a lot of character bars, restaurants and shops and made it up to the Japanese gardens overlooking the city. Stop by some of the food trucks as you wander round the city and don't hesitate to ask any of the hotel staff for suggestions - we got some of our best ones from them. Enjoy!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Ryan K, General Manager at RiverPlace Hotel, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Glad that you enjoyed our location. If you ask me we are in a perfect spot. Quiet area with great views of the river and bridges but yet just a few minute walk from the city center. Also glad you caught a NBA game while you were in town. Go Blazers!
Bend
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Love this Hotel, Love Kimpton.
We stayed here on Valentines Day, but a trip for business meeting next day. We arrived late
and tired. They immediately gave us each a glass of wine. They had desserts and candy on
the welcome table, and they were so kind. I felt like we were in someone's guest house rather
than a hotel. I feel this way most often at Kimpton. Yea.. They so set a standard for Hip, we
can relate to You service. We borrowed their bikes the next day for a ride along the river and
over the bridge and back (they are on the river). They found helmets and bikes to fit us.
Complimentary. . . and Happy TO DO SO. All this before recent remodel. Cannot wait to return to see this. Thank you.

Room Tip: River side, but really street side is pleasant as well. Court yard not my favorite
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
We love this review! I also love the fact that we treated you like family rather than a customer. See you next time!
Lakewood, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

The staff was wonderful and we had no problems with them, but certain issues we ran into during our stay were as follows:

- drain in the tub was broken
- upon our arrival, the sheets on our bed were dirty with dark red and brown stains
- there was a musky smell
- the midnight snack we ordered from room service was sub par
- the valet was very distant and aloof
- the hor d'oeuvres that were served during the wine tasting were created by the chef and were amazingly bad tasting (I think it was a smoked salmon won ton type of food, they were stale and possibly undercooked), they even managed to mess up chocolate chip cookies.
- when we went to the bar, the staff were very unpleasant and didn't feel the need to help us, so after 20 minutes, we went back to the room.

amongst some other things that I can't recall at the moment because I can't find my list from when I was there in February. That was our first big trip that we have ever taken since I have been in the military and it was somewhat of a let down, however, we are excited to stay in the hotel again because of it's great location downtown and are giving it another shot. I hope that a lot of these things will be fixed for our stay that is coming up soon.

Room Tip: get a room that shows you downtown so you can see the lights. the mucky river view isn't worth...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
I cannot apologize enough that you experienced so many issues throughout your stay. Sounds like we dropped the ball big-time. I will share your feedback with my Executive Team today and we will address each one of these issues. Please call the hotel directly at 503-228-3233 and ask for Ryan the next time you do choose to stay with us and we will make this right. Thanks for your providing your feedback.
Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I do not know if this hotel was always a Kimpton, butL it sure very cool now with all the updates. Great service, and I always feel comfy in a Kimpton property. I loved walking the waterfront and watching the rowers! Walking distance to about everything downtown!

Room Tip: I like the water view rooms!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

I actually think this is one of my favorite hotels ever. The furnishings are beautiful and the setting is gorgeous.

There are many little touches that set the RiverPlace above and beyond. For example, one night there was a large, friendly dog behind the registration desk. When I asked about him, the staff said its owners were out and they were keeping an eye on the dog. Being a "dog person" I thought that was just great.

Special recognition goes to Maya at the front desk; she was particularly friendly and made us very comfortable. One night there were freshly baked cookies at the front desk. We were leaving for dinner and she made sure she put some away for when we got back. Those are just little touches you may not get elsewhere.

There is a very nice gratis wine hour in the late afternoon and a very cozy wine bar--well stocked with local wines.

The location on the river was perfect. All-in-all a lovely stay.

Room Tip: Originally had a double without a view but the views were so pretty we upgraded to a River- front ro...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Ryan K, General Manager at RiverPlace Hotel, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Thank you for your mention of Maya! She is such a rockstar. I will be sure to share your comments not only with Maya but with the entire staff. Thanks for taking the time to write a review.
Wilton, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

This is an excellent hotel and you will not be disappointed. The rooms are clean and decorated with very up to date furnishings and the beds are comfortable. The shower is super. The light between the two beds was bulky and awkward, but maybe that's the new look...not practical if you're trying to talk with the person in the other bed. The front desk folks are VERY helpful and nice. One even gave me the three stamps I needed to mail postcards. Their advice about the city was accurate. We used this hotel as a base to explore the downtown area and picked up a nearby tram easily for $1.00. All day rate was $5.00. Valet parking the car was $31/night which I thought was high, but this is a nice hotel and in San Francisco it would have cost $40 for a self park. The view of the Willamette River is calming and a treat to look out to over and over. Lots of folks use the walking path along the waters edge below and so did we. I especially enjoyed watching the rowing groups. I was also VERY pleased to see dogs here and there including an absolutely adorable golden retriever pup behind the front desk. It was a great vacation experience and clearly an example of you get what you pay for..

Room Tip: Upgrading to river side is worth it at this hotel if you have time to enjoy the view.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Very nice review. Sounds like the only thing we need to work on is that new lamp placement. We will find a better location for it. Thanks for the well detailed feedback.

Been to RiverPlace Hotel, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!