“An absolutely fabulous staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of RiverPlace Hotel, a Kimpton Hotel

You added RiverPlace Hotel, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
RiverPlace Hotel, a Kimpton Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1510 SW Harbor Way, Portland, OR 97201 (Formerly RiverPlace Hotel, A Larkspur Collection Hotel) (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Direct: Get 10% Off!
Ranked #1 of 133 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Phoenix, Arizona
“An absolutely fabulous staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

I have stayed at the RiverPlace multiple times over the past few years. Each and every time that my wife and I had the pleasure of staying there the staff was exceptional. However, those past experiences could not have prepared me for the truly remarkable and extraordinary treatment that we received on this last trip in July, 2012 during a very busy time for the hotel. My wife, terminally ill with cancer, was hospitalized at OHSU and I stayed at RiverPlace.. Her condition made it impossible to know when I could move her to our summer home in Cannon Beach. Mr. Kunzer made it clear that whatever I and my family needed would be taken care of. I know they turned away people who had booked my room and that of my daughter. Never once was there any pressure or indication from Ryan, or any staff, that my problem was causing them a problem. Yet, I know it did. They worked with me daily until we could discharge my wife to Hospice care. I have traveled a lot and stayed at some of the finest hotels in the world. None would have treated my in this kind, empathetic, and sensitive way. I will be back to Portland this coming summer and will be back to RiverPlace, a place I am proud to call "home" for that is how they make you feel - from the doorman,the reception desk, to housekeeping, to a fantastic manager. Thank you all. Robert H. Tamis, MD

Room Tip: all the rooms are excellent, but I prefer the ones that look out on the river. They are all quiet.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Ryan K, General Manager at RiverPlace Hotel, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Dr. Tamis I am moved by your kind words. Thank you for sharing your experience. We look forward to your return visit next summer. I hope you have a great holiday.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (467)
Tifton, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I travel frequently for business and pleasure. Our recent stay at the River Place was one of the best hotel experiences I have ever had. We were on our honeymoon and had booked a room in our price range; to our surprise and delight we were upgraded upon arrival. The manager left a personal note card in our room, a bottle of wine, and box of chocolates. We felt so special! The room had an incredible view and all of the special touches in the room were beyond those of similar hotels in this price range. All of the staff we encountered from valets to desk clerks to servers in the restaurant were friendly and helpful. Although the weather was typical Portland wet and dreary, the staff was warm and welcoming. This was my first experience with a Kimpton property and I will seek them out in other places and make a point to stay there when we return to Portland. The hotel is conveniently located to downtown, the Saturday market, and other Portland attractions. We highly recommend the River Place!

Room Tip: The river front rooms are wonderful - even when it is raining, there is a great view of waterfront a...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Ryan K, General Manager at RiverPlace Hotel, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Thanks for recommending us to your friends and family! Sorry that we couldn’t do much about the weather but from the sound of things our staff made your Honeymoon stay a fantastic one. Thanks for staying at the RiverPlace over such a special occasion.
South Wales, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

What a pleasure to stay in this hotel. Good location; excellent restaurant; very comfortable bed and room; most friendly, courteous and efficient staff; free wine tasting with nibbles; and all for a most acceptable price.

This has to be one of the best hotels in the USA my wife and I have ever stayed in !!!!

Thank you.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
We just love being on our guest top list of hotels. What an honor! Thanks for visiting us and the city of roses.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

This was honestly the best hotel experience I've had, and I travel a lot! I spent two weeks here on a business trip and needed a pet friendly hotel near my office. The location was perfect and the service was outstanding. The front desk staff and managers pet-sat my dog every day for two weeks while I was at work! They treated him like their own and totally spoiled him, giving him treats, taking him for walks, putting a bed out for him, and playing with him all day. When I'd get him at the end of the day he'd be exhausted from playing all day and was so happy. One of the staff even knit a toy for him! When I showed up the second week, there was a welcome basket for us and they even blew up a picture of him and all signed it! I can't thank them enough for making my work trip less stressful and it felt like I was coming home to friends at the end of the day. And better yet, they told other Kimpton hotels in other cities that I work in that my dog was coming and last week in Philly they also had a note and welcome basket for us! If you have a pet, this is definitely the best place to stay in Portland...and even if you don't, the staff are so friendly and helpful it is a pleasure to stay here!

Room Tip: It's nice to have a room on the courtyard floor so you can have easy access to it.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
I couldn’t be more proud of our staff! I will personally thank Yumiko for knitting your dog a toy and give a big hug to the front desk staff for putting so much love and effort into dog sitting. Thanks for sharing your experience!
Bow, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

What a wonderful place to stay! Convenient location for the Rose Quarter (which is why I was there) -- a very short drive to the parking lot at the Rose Quarter, and back. Walkable to many areas in downtown. Friendly, very accomodating staff. Wine hour and free coffee in the mornings, and a great restaurant in the hotel also. And pet friendly! The staff made sure that our two rooms were right next door to each other. They remembered the reason we were coming and asked us about it. The rooms were very clean and beautiful, and an extremely comfortable bed! Would definitely go back!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Ryan K, General Manager at RiverPlace Hotel, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Great to hear you enjoyed the overall experience of the RiverPlace. I bet you were here to see the Boss at the Rose Garden. So jealous. Would love to have you the next time he is in town if not sooner.
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

My wife and I had a wonderful experience celebrating her birthday. All the employees we encountered could not have been nicer or more accommodating, which made for a relaxing and enjoyable time. The room was top-notch (even got a free upgrade!) as was the dinner and breakfast at Three Degrees. We had planned to go somewhere else for breakfast, but the dinner experience the night before was so good that we wanted to try the breakfast as well. We were not disappointed! Cannot wait for our next visit.

Room Tip: Loved the river view room.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Amazing comments and feedback. Thank you so much!
Healdsburg, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

My husband and I had a wonderful two night stay here! I would highly recommend it. The service was fantastic and the complimentary Internet, wine/beer hour and coffee in the morning was fantastic. It is walkable to down town or you can use public transit.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple