“Great location, very comfortable” 4 of 5 stars

Save with Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #30 of 133 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Fremont, California, United States
“Great location, very comfortable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Summary: This hotel is conveniently located on the light rail line and next to shopping, the bed is comfortable, the rooms are quiet, and the view is nice. I would stay here again.

I flew here for an American Orchid Society members’ meeting. The host society put on a show/sale in a big room attached to the parking garage, as well as having presentations, meetings, and catered events at the hotel.

A few hundred feet from baggage claim at the Portland Airport I got onto the Red line of the MAX (light rail) system and arrived a half block from the hotel’s front door about half an hour latter. If you have time on your trip, you can take the light rail to many sites of interest, including the zoo.

The front desk staff were friendly and helpful - as they were throughout my stay. The staff in the restaurants were also very nice. The cleaning staff were also very nice and one lady has been there for 20 years - I had an elevator ride with them when they were going to their lunch break. The catering wait staff were varied - some very sullen and unhappy.

My room was on the 9th floor and included a balcony. I arrived on a sunny day and had a view of Mt. Hood, through a deciduous tree, Mt. St. Helens, and Mt. Adams from the balcony. There was a block sized park across the street showing it’s fall colors. Macy’s at the Lloyd Center was also visible a half block away.

My bed at home has memory foam and I often get a stiff back when sleeping on a regular mattress while traveling. The bed here was just as comfortable as my bed at home. The pillows were great - fluffy down/feather pillows that were very soft, yet offered good support. There was a feather/down blanket that didn’t quite keep me warm enough. There was another blanket available in a package with more bedding in the closet, but I didn’t feel like tackling it. I could have turned the heat up, but it just goes against my habits to have the heat high at night.

Although my room was directly across the hall from the elevators, there was no noise issue.

The ventilation in the bathroom was excellent - no condensation on the mirror. The shower was a nice size, but there was only a curved soap holder - no place to put your shampoo, etc. except on the floor of the shower. I found the hair dryer when I was packing to check out - in a bag in the closet.

For some reason the main restaurant was closed for dinner Friday and Saturday nights during my stay. I at in the bar twice, which is open to the lobby, and the food was fine, the staff very good. The bartender there made the best hot buttered rum I’ve ever had.

The meeting rooms were fine - seats not debilitating, temp. cool but not like a meat locker. There was always water with glasses available and Portland has excellent water.

The catering, however, was not something that could be considered a selling point for holding meetings at the hotel. Opening night party: ran out of meat at the buffet, when they finally brought more there were no plates, the wine I bought at the bar ($6.50 + tip) was undrinkable - just had to set it on the dirty plate tray, the dessert had obviously come from the freezer recently. Breakfast meeting - plain and uninteresting tepid scrambled eggs and potatoes. Lunch meeting - absolutely tasteless sandwiches in the box lunch, learned that at a previous lunch the bread had been extremely stale. Hospitality room on the final day - no milk or cream for the coffee, not even an empty container.

All-in-all it was a nice venue, the catering is only a minor part of the whole experience.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Stayed here for a conference. The hotel offers amazing city or mountain views. Rooms are predicatably furnished. Only complaint- the water pressure is so weak that it is unrealistic to expect a guest to have a satisfying shower or wash up at the sink. The hotel is Portland's first green hotel so they retrofitted the faucets to be low flow. Kudos for going green but come on guys, I have to get the soap off of my body. I have to stay in the shower twice as long thus using the same amount of water just to get soap off! The water is also soft which compounds the problem! Soft water takes even longer to remove soap! It was so agitating that I cannot recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: High floors have amazing city or mountain views. Skip mountain view in rainy season (such as Novemb...
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

My stay here was very uneventful. The rooms were adequately appointed with all of the standard stuff. It was a comfortable temperature and not too loud.. It also had a lovely view from the balcony. For my purposes the location was ideal,. Unfortunately, besides the expected, there was nothing particularly remarkable about this hotel. The service was passable but a little indifferent and the room was far too expensive for the amenities provided. Finally, the hotel charged for Internet service, which I'm sure is chain policy, but disappointing nonetheless. Such an easy thing to provide to make your guests happy, especially considering almost all hotels offer it these days.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I just stayed at this hotel for a conference. I thought the room was very nice. I loved the bedding, including feather pillows and a down duvet. I thought the bathroom was nice too. I only found the blow dryer on packing up; it is in the closet! The people at the front desk were very friendly and helpful. I thought the food at the convention was surprisingly good. My only complaint was that my room was noisy. It was a room that had inside doors so you could connect two rooms. I could hear every word that the people in the next room were saying. The fitness center is very good with lots of choices for a workout.

Room Tip: Make sure you do not have a connected room.
Kitchener, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We recently stayed at the DoubleTree by Hilton in Portland’s Lloyd District for a conference and then a training event. I’m going to separate the reviews into our personal stay experience, and the conference experience.

The Personal Experience
The hotel is very conveniently located to Portland’s TriMet MAX light rail station at Lloyd Center. The ride from Portland’s PDX Airport to the Lloyd Center stop on the MAX Red Line takes about 20 minutes and is a straight shot without any transfers or other complications. The MAX station at the airport is located on the lower level near the baggage claim area. A 2.5 hour adult ticket on the MAX costs $2.50 and is well worth the price. You can also get an all-day adult pass for $5.00. Lower prices are offered for 'Honored Persons' and 'Youth'. MAX runs about every 15 minutes. http://trimet.org/max/.

The hotel front desk staff were great, and our check-in was painless. The warm DoubleTree oatmeal cookies that we got with our room keys made it that much better. Our room was just OK. The room was quite large, with two queen beds, a desk, and a chest of drawers with a surprisingly small flatscreen TV. There was also a single armchair and ottoman. There was no other comfortable seating area in the room. There was a small balcony looking away from Lloyd Center Park toward the surrounding hills. I think the weather seals on the door must have been missing or damaged, because a fair amount of noise seemed to come through the window from outside. The window side of the room was also cool and a bit drafty. The room’s ventilation was otherwise lacking.

The HVAC system had independent control, always a good feature, but the built-in unit is the ceiling was noisy, with a fairly loud vibration when starting up or shutting down. The rattle was loud enough that we turned the system off at night.

The bedding was nice enough, but there were only feather pillows, with no other pillows available in the room. The bed had a down comforter that was nice feature. The bed itself was not very comfortable, and we both woke up sore every morning.

The bathroom was only OK, not what I expect from a hotel at the level of the DoubleTree. The bathroom was fitted with a single sink, with a tub and a telephone-style shower. The bathtub faucet valve was damaged, and the temperature adjustment worked backward to the way it was marked. For some this could be a safety issue. The towel rack for fresh towels was badly damaged. It was mounted inside the bathtub surround, and it looked like someone had grabbed it to prevent a fall and nearly torn the top shelf off the wall brackets. The other surprising thing missing from the bathroom was a hairdryer. The ventilation in the bathroom was not adequate, shown by the fogging of the walkout doors on the opposite side of the room after we had showered. This left the room feeling damp, combined with the drafty walkout to make the room feel chilly and damp. The room came with a iron and ironing board. Overall, the room looked and felt like it hadn’t been renovated for too long.

We had Room Service the first night. The service was great, and the wait staff very friendly. The food was OK, but not great. We had many better meals away from the hotel. Our biggest complaint with the menu was the lack of variety. Almost every dish was either heavy on butter or cheese, leaving few choices for anyone health conscious.

We had breakfast in the main hotel dining room, called the Multnomah Grill. The breakfast buffet is quite large, with a dull selection of hot foods including scrambled eggs, potatoes, and bacon or sausages. The usual biscuits and white gravy also available. A nice addition was Bob’s Red Mill oatmeal. On the cold side, there was a variety of cold cereals, wildberry smoothies, three flavours of yogurt, cottage cheese, breads and pastries. So, a big buffet, just nothing particularly imaginative. The service from the staff in the dining room was excellent, very attentive. The single best aspect of the dining room was the availability of breakfast starting at 5:00 a.m. Few other hotels that I’ve stayed in offer breakfast that early.

The hotel bar / lounge is called ‘Gather’. The food selections are the same as those in the Room Service menu, a subset of the Multnomah Grill menu. Gather also has some draught beers as well as the usual bottled beers and cocktails. The atmosphere is comfortable and inviting. They also have a private room at the back for private functions.

The hotel is one of DoubleTree's 'Green Hotels', and seeks to use sustainable approaches to the business.

The hotel is located across the street from Lloyd Park, a beautiful space during the day. Also next to the hotel is the Lloyd Center Mall, offering plenty of shopping for most. There is an active restaurant area a short walk from the hotel as well. I recommend Milo's City Café and the Blossoming Lotus (see separate reviews for these restaurants).

Overall, I’d give the hotel an ‘ok but not great’ rating from a personal stay perspective.

The Conference Perspective
The DoubleTree by Hilton Portland hotel was chosen for our conference by our local organizing team, and it was a good choice! The hotel has a large ballroom, the Lloyd Center Ballroom, plus a maximum of seven breakout rooms separated by air walls for flexibility in arrangements. The breakout rooms can be configured into two other ballrooms as desired. There is an Executive Meeting suite, but our event did not use this area or the second level meeting rooms. See the floor plans for more details: http://www.doubletreegreen.com/media/docs/floorplans/06_DTFloorplanCapacityChart.pdf

For breakout sessions, the rooms were a good size, and there wasn’t much sound bleed-through between rooms. Although we had a podium and microphone in each room, many of our presenters chose not to use the fixed mic. This probably helped the sound levels between rooms.

The lobby area is large and well suited to having a few small table-top booths, and it also includes a permanent reception/registration desk area close to the entry doors. We used the Lloyd Center Ballroom as our Exhibit Hall and Plenary meeting hall. We also served breaks and lunch to our attendees in this hall.

The Banquets Staff at the hotel did a great job for us, keeping the rooms tidy and serving the food on time. The staff was quiet and efficient at all times. Special requests were handled quickly and easily. The food costs were more reasonable than many of the hotels that we have used, allowing us to generate a better surplus than in previous years.

Our Sales person did an excellent job, working hard to get us a great deal on the room block, the space and the food. Overall, a job well done.

The food was good for this type of event. We served sweets and breads with coffee, tea, soft drinks and water at breaks, and boxed lunches. The boxed lunches are priced on par with similar hotels, but overpriced in terms of what is provided in my opinion. Considering the service that comes with these meals, this is not really an issue.

Overall, I’d give this Conference Center a ‘GREAT’ rating!

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the side away from the MAX to reduce the noise from the trains.
tacoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

This hotel tries to be classy. But Saturday night, 200 homeless people spent the night on the room floors. 30 of them woke me up at a quarter to 5 am and refused to be quiet. They were drinking beer and smoking by the elevators. They didn't clear the building till 7 or 8 am. So, I lost sleep. I wonder how safe this hotel is, or how often this happens. I didn't like being woken up that early.

If you buy the breakfast vouchers, they are worth it. The breakfast is good. The rooms are small, but well decorated. It is a bit pricey, though, for the room. No indoor pool; only outdoor. The hotel store charges more for things than they are worth.

Room Tip: Get high up because of the noisy train below!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

The hotel is conveniently located near the Lloyd Center, and some great restaurants, but it definitely needs a face lift. The beds were comfortable, and the room was pretty clean - with a couple of exceptions. Our bathroom had mold/mildew on the shower curtain and on the caulking around the tub. Also, the whole room just seemed kinda worn around the edges. On the plus side, the room was quite large and had a nice balcony overlooking the park across the street. If you stay here, be prepared to spend $9-$18 on parking per night as well as paying for Wi-Fi if you're not a HHonors Silver or higher member.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Portland? Share your experiences!