“decent hotel, but not Marriott quality” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Purely Portland Package
Ranked #47 of 133 Hotels in Portland
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“decent hotel, but not Marriott quality”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We stayed at the Marriott waterfront with our son and one of his friends. The staff was very professional and the lobby area was nice. The rooms were subpar for a Marriott in my experience. The carpeting was old and somewhat dirty. The bathroom was tiny. They were doing some renovations on some upper floors and hopefully they are giving the property a much-needed update.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Autumn D, Front Office Manager at Portland Marriott Downtown Waterfront, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback about your stay with us. We are very happy to hear that the staff service you experienced was very good, as we pride ourselves on our team. We appreciate your comments and will use this information to make improvements in our room amenities. We look forward to having you stay with us again in the future once our guest room renovation is completed in the Spring of 2015, where you will find a brand new guest room and new amenities in the room.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
Vancouver, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We wanted to stay downtown and give the kids an opportunity to swim and enjoy downtown. We chose the waterfront Marriott as we had stayed there many years ago and loved the views. The view, once again, did not disappoint. We were on the 9th floor and the sunrise against the water with Mt.Hood in the backdrop was breathtaking. This hotel has been remodeled in the past couple of years and has an "upscale" feel to it now. We had dinner in the Bistro and it was very good, and the service was better than expected. We were there for two nights and each morning we started with breakfast which was also very good. Full omelette bar and fresh Belgian waffles, as well as the usual buffett. The service, again, was very good at breakfast. Definitely request high floor, waterfront side, both for the view and to minimize the road noise. The only downfall were the beds, not very comfortable; however, a scheduled March remodel of the guest rooms will likely address this.

Stayed December 2014
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

First, let me say that the bellmen and valet's were absolutely above reproach - service with a smile in gale force winds and freezing cold.

But...I requested an upper floor riverview King Room (noted preference of "large" room) and I was given a lower floor double - which I made no fuss about at check-in at the front desk. I had a ton of luggage and the valet had his cart loaded and waiting. I figured I might be happy in the room provided...I was not! There was just barely room for the two beds and one nightstand! It was a freakin' closet with two beds. I revolted and the valet called the front desk - after some obvious push back they agreed to move me to a single King (like I requested and reserved). I asked the valet to check on what an upgrade to a suite would cost, thinking that would be what I'd have to do to get some space...the answer from the front desk was a very curt $150 on top of being over charged already. Needless, to say I didn't go for that option. We moved to that single King room and it was far larger than the closet they tried to push us into; it would even have been acceptable with two beds.

Never again in a Marriott...
Nef

Room Tip: Demand a large room.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
Autumn D, Front Office Manager at Portland Marriott Downtown Waterfront, responded to this review, 1 week ago
We are incredibly sorry that your experience was less than pleasurable when staying with us. We will use your feedback as a coaching and training moment for our team. I would really enjoy speaking to you further about your stay, if you would like to reach out to me.
Thank you for taking the time to rate our hotel and sharing your experience.

Autumn Davis
Hotel: 503-226-7600
Cannon Beach
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I've stayed here many times and consistent is the best way to describe the experience.

Nice clean rooms, great staff, good food, and very conveniently located. There's a waterfront park across the, and any kind of cuisine you could possibly want nearby.

Parking is convenient only when using valet do be prepared to pay for it.

I keep coming back and will continue to do so. I recommend as a good, solid, and consistent hotel.

Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Long Beach, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Came here for a conference. The hotel is in a nice location next to the river, but there's nothing much around it. We had to walk or take cabs to more interesting places. The people working at the hotel were very nice. There was a problem with my closet, and it was fixed pretty quickly. I guess they're going to renovate the rooms, and they do need to do that. My internet was free because I was at a conference, but when will American hotels stop charging for internet. I'm giving this hotel a big ding because of that, even though mine was free. There are remarkably few food options in the hotel. The breakfast buffet is nice, but generic. The wait staff, however, were seriously nice people.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that faces the river
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
William S, Guest Relations Manager at Portland Marriott Downtown Waterfront, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. I'm glad our team was able to take care of your closet quickly - the staff does a great job and I will be sure to pass this on. It is time for a remodel and our renovations have just begun. We can't wait to show off our new product next year. Yes, there is a charge for wifi in the room however we do have complimentary internet in the lobby for our guest's convenience. We hope when our renovations have been completed that you'll come back to stay with us - we are away from the center of the city but within walking distance and many of our guests prefer the calmness of the area and being away from the noise of the light-rail and hustle and bustle of downtown.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This hotel has it all the staff is great the food is great. We stay here a couple of times a year when visiting my son. The hotel us starting a remodel can't wait to see it completed very nice now though. The staff is very friendly. Looking forward to staying here again soon

• Stayed December 2014
Corvallis, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Marriott promotes itself as a progressive brand, but this experience felt more exploitive. We found a "bargain" deal for $119+tax on TripAdvisor after our Groupon "deal" ($21 more) fell through. The room sells for almost $200, it would have been highway robbery at that rate!

We were greeted with a card from Maria Shriver advising us Marriott pays their room attendant less than a livable wage and won't we leave some extra green for them... They had already collected $35 to park the car for a night and wanted another $10 for "basic" internet access -- premium is more.

The room was clean and comfortable enough, if you ignore the used candy wrapper on the room chair. Room was a little cramped and we paid $20 for a movie in the room.

What happened to Marriott? Why are you nickle and diming your patrons?

Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
William S, Guest Relations Manager at Portland Marriott Downtown Waterfront, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. Unfortunately parking in the downtown area is at a premium with limited space, however you can rest assured that you car is kept in a secure location, out of the weather and always available to the front entrance for your convenience. We're sorry our hotel did not meet your expectations and we appreciate your feedback. If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to give me a call.

William S/Senior Rooms Operation Manager

Been to Portland Marriott Downtown Waterfront? Share your experiences!