“very rude at the desk” 2 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Motel   |   7101 NE 82nd Ave., Portland, OR 97220   |
Ranked #75 of 133 Hotels in Portland
“very rude at the desk”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2010

I arrived for a 2 night stay. The woman at the desk was quite rude from the beginning. They put me in a room at the back of hotel, in a hallway lined with bins of dirty laundry, next to laundry room. I am 70 yrs old. This was so far from everything and almost a scary spot, no one else was there. I asked for something closer and the desk people were downright rude. They finally condescended to put me in a handicapped room which looked like it had been used before. I was so tired by then from hauling myself and luggage around i didn't pursue it. The room was across from the conference rooms and fairly noisy at times. I will never stay there again. The Red Lion across the river is much better.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Temple Terrace, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2010

Having stayed at this Red Lion previously, we were disappointed with the small, dark room on this trip. Expected airport noise, but not walls and ceiling thin enough to hear people walking, using the bathroom, opening and closing doors. Checkin clerk did not inform me that there was a charge for use of the internet and printing of boarding passes. Red Lion has the most comfortable beds and once I shut out all the people noises, slept soundlessly.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Portland OR
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2010

Stayed for one night for the sole purpose of being close to the airport for an early morning flight. Went through Priceline wanting a 3-star hotel, got the Red Lion. I was okay with that as I have visited other Red Lion hotels that met my expectations. However, the Red Lion at PDX is very old and resembles a motel, not a hotel (and certainly not a 3-star hotel). It is only 2 stories and has no elevator. Unfortunately, they had no rooms available on the ground floor and had to carry 75lbs of luggage up the stairs. Looking at the website, I was under the impression that the restaurant & sports bar were located inside the hotel. It was not. Not that big of a deal, but just another one of those things that gave it a "motel" feel. Service at the sports bar wasn't that great, but the food was pretty good. The room however, was 3-star. Very clean with nice decor and an extremely comfortable bed. Slept great and heard very little airport noise. Free WiFi was appreciated. Shuttle was very prompt and had us on our way to PDX 5 minutes ahead of schedule. Paid $53 (bid + fees) and feel like I overpaid by about $20. However, it served its purpose.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
NYC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2010

Unfortunately, arriving late last night, we got the last room available. the linens were dirty, and the staff explained that they had no spares left, and no available room to switch to.

Their good intentions were evident, but sadly I can't recommend this hotel based on the fact it was not clean.

Timing is everything, and it appears we arrived at the wrong time at the wrong hotel. The staff was very helpful in obtaining a refund from Priceline. Priceline showed themselves to be very hard to deal with. It was hard to get through to complain about the room; they promised a call back from a supervisor who never called. Only a call the next day received an adequate response, after going through a supervisor. The staff at Red Lion were instrumental in helping obtain a refund.
Buyer beware.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2010

Room was adequate, with comfortable beds. And the price was very reasonable. But for a holiday to Portland, staying near the airport was tedious. Every day was a long haul to and from downtown attractions. Shuttle drivers were all pleasant, but desk girls were very unfriendly. Food service in the restaurant was amateur, food itself quite good. Had to go to bar to order food for takeout, outside the restaurant's limited hours. Room was not well-cleaned (there was a dirty towel in the closet when we first arrived)

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Yankton, South Dakota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2010

The staff at this hotel checked me into a room next to a room being renovated. This meant every morning I was awakened at 830 AM to pounding, drilling and shaking coming from the wall next to the bed. It was loud to the point where I could get no sleep or even hear the television. When I asked why I had been given this room they advised me the hotel was full! So rather than take one less reservation and leave room empty or give it to someone with an early check out, the hotel opted to sell the room and charge for this misery I had to endure for 4 DAYS! I was unable to get a refund or even moved to a different room until my 4th and final day of the reservation. The last day I didn't need to move as I was checking out early the next day. When I reported these problems to the desk no manager would come speak with me or come to my room to apologize or explain. Not even a phone call. Very unprofessional!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Redmond,WA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2010

They call this a 3 star hotel from Hotwire ? I wonder if they ever bother to check these place out - There is no comparison to the Sheraton or the Radison - this is more of a hotel - No elevator to the second level.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
jpatel503, Public Relations Manager at Red Lion Hotel Portland Airport, responded to this review, June 3, 2010
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I am sorry to find that you do not consider us a 3 star hotel. We are considered a 3 star hotel based on the follow amenities: Newly Renovated rooms with Pillow Top Mattress, Granite Counter tops, large desks, microwave and refrigerators in all guest rooms, a swimming pool as well as having a full service restaurant one site and a lounge facility. The other hotels that you mentioned would be considered 3.5 star hotels. Yes we are a older facility however we have been completed renovated and feel that we offer a 3 star value and amazing service. I agree with you and wished we had an elevator however we don’t at this time so I would recommend that if any prefers a room on the ground floor to put that in the comments field and our team will do what they can to block a room on the first floor. Safe Travels. Red Lion Hotels.

Been to Red Lion Hotel Portland Airport? Share your experiences!