“I like this hotel but...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Portland Airport (I-205)

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Portland Airport (I-205) to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Portland Airport (I-205)
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8439 NE Columbia Boulevard, Portland, OR 97220   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #67 of 132 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersBronze level
oregon
“I like this hotel but...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

I stay at this hotel when I go to to Portland for business. It is conveniently located for me and they have a restaurant and bar. The new renovations are nice and the food is always very good. Trina, in the bar area provides great customer service. My only complaint on this trip is that I had booked the king mini suite, payed the additional price (about $40) for the room. When I arrived I was told that I was being upgraded to the club floor and would have access to the club room. When I got to my room, it was very small had two queen beds. The "club room" had a cooler with some bottled water and a basket of granola bars. Not worth the $40. I went down to the front desk to question why I had been given a standard room when I paid for the nicer room and they told me that I had been upgraded by being moved to the 8th floor. I would rather have had the room that I booked. Over all the stay was fine but I would probably stay elsewhere next time since I can not be sure that I will get the king room that I paid for.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
charles_holt, General Manager at Holiday Inn Portland Airport (I-205), responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Thank you for your review and for being a regular guest of the Holiday Inn Portland Airport! We are very pleased to hear that you are enjoying our new renovations, service and food. I was disappointed to hear of the unfortunate mix-up with your room. You are correct that an 8th floor room is not an upgrade from one of our suites. Additionally, by paying for one of our suites, you would automatically gain access to our Club Lounge. I have reached out to your directly to gain more information and provide you compensation for our unfortunate error.

I hope that you will contact me and provide us with another opportunity to earn your patronage at the Holiday Inn Portland Airport.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014 via mobile

I like staying here when I fly out of Portland. They have a decent park and fly rate. The staff is excellent. I always get my platinum upgrade. The rooms are nice. The bed is very comfortable. It wasn't too long ago that they remodeled the hotel. It was looking dated but now it is very nice

Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for you kind review of the Holiday Inn Portland Airport! We appreciate your acknowledgement of our excellent staff and appreciate your loyalty!
Bend, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

Nydia is the reason we will be returning to this property. She is an amazing person and was incredibly helpful and friendly and kind. We were a little on the fence about our experience there when we spoke to her upon check-out. Not only did she refund us the price of our breakfast after hearing us talk about how bad it was, but we stayed behind to chat with her for quite some time. This girl deserves a raise! A person like her is an asset to any hospitality team, and I should know because I work in the Luxury Hospitality Industry. Keep up the amzing customer service Nydia, and keep on being an awesome person. And, management, the breakfast food needs a lot of work. my croissant was grey. GREY! and soggy. Yuck. And the carpets need help. The most charming thing about our stay was Nydia.

Room Tip: Our room was right next to the airport Max rail, so be sure to ask for a room away from that area.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your recognition of one of our finest long term staff members! Nydia is definitely an asset to our team. We are sorry to hear about your disappointing breakfast experience and will utilize your comments for additional training and to improve upon our service and overall breakfast experience.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

I checked on July 6th and checked out July 8th.
Pros
-Excellent airport transportation
-Staff was very helpful and confident.
-Food at the restaurant was great
-Cascade parkway is basically a shop-til-you-drop facility (no sales tax) and is minutes away. Plenty of food as well.
-Clean
-Wifi was good

Cons
-2nd floor smelled different (funny) every time we walked through.
-no mini fridge in my room
-breakfast was not complimentary
-A/C smelled like B-O/humid/sweaty air

Upon check in I was greeted by a young redhead. She was extremely nice and helpful. She thanked me for being an IHG rewards member and inquired if I had AAA to save some money. (which i do have AAA and i did save money! Thank You!) I asked for a quiet room close to the ground floor, because I had a lot of stuff. I didn't hear a thing all night.
One thing we noticed is that the hotel was full of teenage girls competing in what appeared to be a regional basketball tournament. (More on that to come)

On the first night, I ordered a quesadilla and a salad (the one with spinach and fruit and nuts) from the bar to go. A very energetic bartender/server Trina took my order and asked for my name. As my party and I waited for the food, we noticed these large groups of bratty teenagers interacting with the staff disrespectfully. In fact, based on the attitudes of the parents, you could barely tell who the adults were. One mother( i assume) sat herself at the far end on the restaurant by herself without a menu and was glued to her phone the whole time. As about 7 minutes passed, the woman started becoming visibly frustrated that she hadn't been waited on. As the busy server was tending to his tables, she interrupted him and complained that she had been there for 20 minutes(face palm). I really have to hand it to the staff here, they handled the situation and attitudes of these folks like pros.
The quesadilla was on par and the salad was really good. My one contention would be that the quesadilla only came with sour cream and salsa...you don't need to be a food junkie to know that guacamole should be standard, at least a small spoonful.

The second night, i went out for drinks on Alberta St. then made my way back, i stopped at the railside pub (worth a try, see my review) which is not far from the hotel. As i returned to hotel, i stopped to order a pizza. Despite cutting off an inch of hair and saving half an inch of beard off early that day. Trina remembered my name with out hesitation...that was great.

The cafe was very convenient in the morning as i prefer espresso over drip coffee. Don't let the lack of complimentary breakfast deter you from staying here. For a group of 3-4, its almost cheaper to take a taxi to the Cameo Cafe on 82nd and Sandy. Plus, the food there is huge and delicious.

Check out was a breeze and the ride to the airport took a couple minutes. Easy. Comfortable. Will definitely be returning.

Room Tip: If you want a view go high, if you want quiet sleep go low
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at the Holiday Inn Portland Airport. We are pleased to offer complimentary airport transportation 24 hours a day and are glad that your found the service to be excellent in quality. Additionally, we appreciate your kind recognition of our helpful and courteous staff and great food in the restaurant. While you found our hotel to be clean, we are sorry to hear that you thought the 2nd floor smelled "funny". No one wants humid or stale air; so with the extreme heat and humidity experienced lately, your comments will be used to facilitate additional training to ensure we are doing a better job of maintaining our AC units.
Eugene, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

We wanted to leave our car at a park-and-fly hotel near the Portland Airport, so I called several who billed themselves this way. Four-out-of-five said, "You can leave your car here if we have room in our parking lot." Not the for-sure response I was looking for. The Holiday Inn on Columbia Blvd said that they would be glad to have us spend the night, leave our car, and have a ride to the airport (5 minutes) on their 3-times-per hour no-charge shuttle. Everything worked perfectly including the pickup-and-return.
This hotel has recently had a major face lift. The rooms are pleasant, reasonably priced, and the restaurant in the lobby is busy and attractive. We were very pleased and will definitely be back.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Oregon Coast, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

We finally found the perfect hotel for us when flying out of the Portland, Oregon airport! We stumbled on this Holiday Inn in the spring, and have been back since for a recent trip. The location is great for getting to the airport easily using the hotel shuttle, parking your own vehicle up to 30 days, and a place to eat on site. Not the most amazing atmosphere for a restaurant but there is a full bar with drinks we enjoyed (a great vodka martini), and the bar staff friendly. And yes, the food is really very good. Return shuttle when you land is a breeze.

Room Tip: We have stayed twice, different locations within the hotel and found both rooms really quiet...no ov...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

We stayed here on the last night of our trip since it was close to the airport. We were upgraded to a suite on check in. We had a bedroom, living room and small bar area. It was very clean but nothing particularly special.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Portland Airport (I-205), responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Dear NewName123,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. I am pleased that our location worked for your needs and that you found our rooms clean. It is always motivating on our end to receive such feedback from our valued guests like you.

Thank you for your time and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Best Regards,

John O
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Portland Airport (I-205)? Share your experiences!