“A very basic motel” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #79 of 133 Hotels in Portland
Toronto, ON Canada
“A very basic motel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2010

This lodge provides nothing more than a comfortable bed and a roof over the head. Breakfast is adequate but with very limited choice. But contrary to another reviewer wrote earlier, it DOES have an elevator for higher floors.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2009

I stayed here about a week in summer 2008 and returned for 11 days in summer 2009. I would return again for sure. One must look at what you pay and what you get in order to make a fair review. I prefer a fair price and good value over the Ritz anytime.

This Econo Lodge has very nice beds. Rooms are of decent size and come with micro wave and fridge. Local calls are free, the air conditioner works great, and it has a pay laundry on the bottom floor with one washer and one dryer which was always open anytime I needed it. Free wireless internet too!! My rooms never had a coffee maker but I can go to the lobby as often as I want. My rooms there never smelled.

I like the location across from Parkrose transit center/MAX train line. You can hop on and be in the airport in just a few minutes. Get a daily or weekly pass and go all over! Parking can be hard downtown Portland. This is great. If you lean the bus routes you have many more options!

The breakfast is basic, coffee, OJ bananas, apples, donuts, breads to toast. Its out by 6am. to about 9am. There are only three floors and maybe 39 or so rooms total is all.
Try for the top floor to avoid noises over you.

The sauna jacuzzi isnt open all the time. To me thats not important. Its off the front desk. If thats important to you call ahead and ask if it is open and its hours. Its nothing fancy.

Hotel is Indian owned like almost all in this category but he has turned over mgmt to a Hispanic women and her staff and he wont be seen. She does a great job running the hotel and keeping watch over it. Maybe thats why another reviewer had trouble with her teens milling about. Its not a large property and they can keep a good eye on it.

I was totally pleased for what I paid. And if you have read this far heres a bonus on this and any Choice Hotel...Go to www.choicehotels.com On header line click OFFERS and PROGRAMS. Then right colum almost to bottom click Special Rate ID. Enter 00801847
then click YES. It will give you 20% off this and all others in the Choice Hotel brands. Its a great deal! You can not find similar value for your money in Portland if you use this! If you stay downtown Portland you will pay a TON more and most likely have to pay a hefty charge to park too. So for me, this place is great!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Phoenix, AZ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2009

I should start with all the things that this motel promised but did not have or did not work. The lights next to the beds did not work. There was only one small night stand in between the beds that could only be used on one side. The blow dryer did not work. There was not a coffee pot in the room and I was told that only a few of the rooms had one. There was no iron at all. The heat stopped working halfway through my stay. The hot tub hours are from 6 AM to 10 AM in the morning, this was confirmed by me in the office. My children who are teenagers were continuously harassed by the management. Then I was accused of having underage drinking and parties in my room which was not true at all. The manager was nasty and continued to harass me the entire time I was there. We were quiet and followed the rules but because on of my children's friends had words with her she decided that all kinds of things were going on. I will never stay in any Econo Lodge again for the rest of my life.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Boise
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2009

Where do I begin? Don't plan on getting a good nights sleep. First of all we started getting phone calls at about 11:30 p.m. from unknown persons trying to get a hold of the front desk to inquire about hotel pricing and ammenities. After repeated calls we tried to reach the front desk to make them aware of the connection problem but we could not get a hold of anyone. We eventually just unplugged the phone. To make a bad situation worse, the walls are paper thin and the seal on the door needs to be replaced. You could see a large crack of light come through so the street noise in addition to the paper thin walls did not lend to a good nights sleep.
The room was a non smoking room but the comforter had cigarette burns on it and the bathtub had burn marks. One of our towels did not look laundered. I don't know what was on the towel for certain, but lets just say it looked like it could be fecal matter.
After little sleep we finally called it quits when the sun rose and everyone in the neighboring rooms were showering. The walls were rumbling as if a train was coming through the walls. We gave in and decided the noise was to loud to bear any longer. We decided to shower and be on our way. To simple of a solution I guess, because now there was no hot water to be had. Only a luke warm shower at 7:30 am.
This is by far the worst experience we have had in many years. Stay anywhere but here.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
ok
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2008

I stayed at this hotel just to sleep so I could catch an early morning flight. It was clean and the bed was comfortable.The staff was nice. The cons were the alarm clock didn't work, and the room had that typical motel smell. I would reccomend this hotel for a place to sleep when you have a early morning flight.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2008

This was the nicest Econo Lodge I've ever stayed in. My room had furniture that was of high quality for an Econo Lodge. There was a mini fridge, a hair dryer, and even a telephone in the bathroom, near the toilet! The room had a queen or king sized bed, plus a small sofa in a small area near the front door. I heard noise from next door when people arrived, but the noise was typical of hotels in this cost category. The walk-in rate for this room was almost $20 lower than for other low-budget nearby rooms I checked on hotels.com. I slept through the continental breakfast, but the set up didn't look very impressive. There were two hot tubs, which I didn't use, but the desk made sure I was aware of them.

• Liked — Value and a high quality room for a low price ... and VERY near the airport.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2005

We reserved a non-smoking room, but they were all out. The room we were given had cigarette burns in the bedding. The toilet and window were broken and the room stunk(obviously though, because we aren't smokers). We did not receive a room change or refund, but certainly did not stay there. Do yourself a favor and spend $30 more for a nice place.

• Stayed October 2005

Been to Econo Lodge at Port of Portland? Share your experiences!