“Ant infestation, pet hair, meth addicts in the lobby” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #79 of 133 Hotels in Portland
Portland, Oregon
“Ant infestation, pet hair, meth addicts in the lobby”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2011

This was probably the worst motel experience I've ever had, and I have stayed in a lot of lower budget places in my life. This place was just supposed to be a cheap, no fuss spot to sleep on our first night in town after relocating to Portland, but it was a nightmare. We arrived exhausted after a long drive, so at first the sketchy folks hanging around the lobby didn't really register with us. Upstairs, we discovered mystery pet hair all over the carpet (awesome since two of us are super allergic) and an army of ants marching across the counter between the sink and fridge. To top it off, we'd booked a non-smoking room, also due to allergies, only to find that the entire floor below us was smoking rooms and folks were hanging around outside our door on the balcony smoking as well. Coming back from picking up food, my husband and housemate spotted a couple of obvious prostitutes doing business in the parking lot and got accosted by some strung out woman who asked if she could come stay in our room with us. At this point we realized that anything we left in the car would surely be gone by morning, so we unloaded our mountain of stuff and prepared for an unpleasant night, only to discover 20 minutes later that the ants were also IN THE BEDS. Ugh. Despite total exhaustion, we packed everything back into the car and left. It was 1 am before we found another place to stay.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
EconoLodgePDX, Manager at Econo Lodge at Port of Portland, responded to this review, June 23, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,
I want to sincerely apologize for both the behavior of guests you encountered as well as the ants you mention you found. Be assured that these issues are first time occurances of which we have taken the following solutions to resolve:

1) Authorities have agreed to rountinely patrol our parking lot throughout the night
2) A pest control company was immediately brought in to assess the reported findings and treat the room mentioned.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Salem, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2011

We stayed here due to the good reviews on TripAdvisor and were glad we did! While not a huge room, there was plenty of space for 2 people. It included a small table with two chairs, a microwave and refrigerator, ironing board and iron, and well-equipped bathroom. We really enjoyed the hot tub and it was suitably hot! (All too often hotels' hot tubs are tepid.) All in all, a very good value for the price.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Seattle, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2011

We were very pleased with the accommodations. The hotel was quiet -- no street noise -- yet close enough to the freeway to make it very convenient. The staff was very prompt and helpful. We will be returning in the fall and will definitely stay here. An excellent value!!!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2011

We had a reservation for another nearby hotel and were greeted at that property by a grumpy front desk clerk who would not honor the internet rate we had secured, and while there were no cars in his lot, said they were too full to honor a rollaway request. All we needed was a place to rest to catch in early morning flight out of Portland's airport.

We drove around a bit and found the Econolodge around the corner....so happy that we did. The front desk clerk was very pleasant and brought a rollaway up to our room immediatly, with extra pillows.The room was exceptionally clean and had a fridge and microwave. And they had fresh coffee available very early (5am). The best part was the rate was even lower then the earlier "Days Inn" fiasco. Clean, effiencent and friendly, perfect for our needs that evening.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Toronto, ON Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2010

This lodge provides nothing more than a comfortable bed and a roof over the head. Breakfast is adequate but with very limited choice. But contrary to another reviewer wrote earlier, it DOES have an elevator for higher floors.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2009

I stayed here about a week in summer 2008 and returned for 11 days in summer 2009. I would return again for sure. One must look at what you pay and what you get in order to make a fair review. I prefer a fair price and good value over the Ritz anytime.

This Econo Lodge has very nice beds. Rooms are of decent size and come with micro wave and fridge. Local calls are free, the air conditioner works great, and it has a pay laundry on the bottom floor with one washer and one dryer which was always open anytime I needed it. Free wireless internet too!! My rooms never had a coffee maker but I can go to the lobby as often as I want. My rooms there never smelled.

I like the location across from Parkrose transit center/MAX train line. You can hop on and be in the airport in just a few minutes. Get a daily or weekly pass and go all over! Parking can be hard downtown Portland. This is great. If you lean the bus routes you have many more options!

The breakfast is basic, coffee, OJ bananas, apples, donuts, breads to toast. Its out by 6am. to about 9am. There are only three floors and maybe 39 or so rooms total is all.
Try for the top floor to avoid noises over you.

The sauna jacuzzi isnt open all the time. To me thats not important. Its off the front desk. If thats important to you call ahead and ask if it is open and its hours. Its nothing fancy.

Hotel is Indian owned like almost all in this category but he has turned over mgmt to a Hispanic women and her staff and he wont be seen. She does a great job running the hotel and keeping watch over it. Maybe thats why another reviewer had trouble with her teens milling about. Its not a large property and they can keep a good eye on it.

I was totally pleased for what I paid. And if you have read this far heres a bonus on this and any Choice Hotel...Go to www.choicehotels.com On header line click OFFERS and PROGRAMS. Then right colum almost to bottom click Special Rate ID. Enter 00801847
then click YES. It will give you 20% off this and all others in the Choice Hotel brands. Its a great deal! You can not find similar value for your money in Portland if you use this! If you stay downtown Portland you will pay a TON more and most likely have to pay a hefty charge to park too. So for me, this place is great!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Phoenix, AZ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2009

I should start with all the things that this motel promised but did not have or did not work. The lights next to the beds did not work. There was only one small night stand in between the beds that could only be used on one side. The blow dryer did not work. There was not a coffee pot in the room and I was told that only a few of the rooms had one. There was no iron at all. The heat stopped working halfway through my stay. The hot tub hours are from 6 AM to 10 AM in the morning, this was confirmed by me in the office. My children who are teenagers were continuously harassed by the management. Then I was accused of having underage drinking and parties in my room which was not true at all. The manager was nasty and continued to harass me the entire time I was there. We were quiet and followed the rules but because on of my children's friends had words with her she decided that all kinds of things were going on. I will never stay in any Econo Lodge again for the rest of my life.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family

Been to Econo Lodge at Port of Portland? Share your experiences!