“Good...but not what it used to be...and what is "media fee?"” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Quality Inn Downtown Convention Center

You added Quality Inn Downtown Convention Center to your Saves list
Quality Inn Downtown Convention Center
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   431 Northeast Multnomah, Portland, OR 97232 (Formerly La Quinta)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #88 of 133 Hotels in Portland
Costa Mesa, CA
“Good...but not what it used to be...and what is "media fee?"”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

I have stayed here many times during the last six years. The property has undergone an owner/management change.

The good points:
----still has very dedicated employees who are anxious to please
----the breakfast buffet is excellent with many good choices
---clean and comfortable rooms

The bad points:
---I had a pre-paid reservation. Upon arrival, the employee asked me for a credit card to cover "incidentals." When I asked what these were, I was told it was for things like the "media charge."
When I asked what this was, the employee was very cagey and said, "Lots of hotels near the airport have this." But she would NOT explain what this was. I plan to dispute this when I receive my credit card bill.

---When I was riding from the airport to the hotel with an employee, she told me that all the rooms had been "remodeled." I stayed in Room 106 and found the carpet in desperate need of replacement and the furniture scratched up. There has been no remodeling as far as I'm concerned.

Make sure you contest this mystical "media charge" and absolutely refuse to pay it. If it is not reversed on my credit card bill, I will stay elsewhere next time. How tacky!

Room Tip: Don't pay the "media charge!"
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
manager431, General Manager at Quality Inn Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We do require incidental credit card on pre paid reservations. We do not have any media charge. No media charge is accessed for any customers. I incidental cards are taken for any incidentals that can occur during your stay such as damage to the room, phone calls, non declared pet fees, smoking in our non-smoking room. None of these charges applies unless they are incurred by the guest. I will train the front desk agent that told you that the incidental card is for media charge to explain our incidental card better at check in.

As for renovations, we have replaced furniture, TV, a new wifi system for internet, new bedding, new chairs, and working on getting the carpets replaced this coming year.

Again thank you for your feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Blackfalds, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

This is an 80s hotel in need of a makeover. I will never forget the smell and sounds of this hotel. And when I discussed my issues (cleanliness, wifi, smell, noise, etc) I was told "what did you expect it's an old hotel." I don't mind old....it's the poor customer service and uncleanliness I care about. Can't regulate the hotel room temperature...it's either hot or cold. The bed shook every half hour to the point it woke me up. The only positive is the bed was somewhat comfortable. If I could have checked out and left I would have however with being an international conference in town there were no other rooms available under 300 per night.

Stayed October 2013
Redding, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Stayed at the Quality Inn while attending an event at the convention center. WOW! Convenient location, clean and comfortable room, friendly staff, great breakfast, and affordable! What more could you want? I'd especially like to mention Clyde who takes care of the breakfast room and is topnotch. I highly recommend this hotel and will stay there again should I need a room in downtown Portland.

Room Tip: If street noise is an issue, ask for a room not overlooking the street.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Great hotel if you're on a budget, or if you'd rather spend money elsewhere (like on the wonderful food of Portland, or at the convention center). Bonus: decent continental breakfast included. The building is older with worn carpet in the stairwells, but it's clean and neat where it counts: comfortable, clean beds, nice size room and bathroom area (I stayed in a very pricey downtown Atlanta hotel which had far less bathroom counter space).
A short walk to the convention center, only 2 blocks to the Max line--very easy ride into downtown Portland. The hotel is right on the bus line on MLK and the streetcar line to the north and southside neighborhoods. The Lloyd Center mall and restaurants are all within walking distance, Starbucks and other food across the street.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

This hotel is in a perfect location for getting aroud without the high prices of the hotels in the downtown area. Very short walk to the Max line (efficient, frequent and fast) and the Streetcar is across the street. It is friendly, quiet, clean and includes a big breakfast. Lots of free parking, so we parked the car and didn't move it until we left. I have already recommended this to friends and will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

This is the worst hotel I've ever stayed at in Portland, but not the cheapest. We're in Portland pretty frequently as my husband used to live there. This was a last minute trip for a funeral and most places nearby were already booked or we never would have paid so much for this awful dive. I wish we had just stayed further out and driven in for the service. The staff were not helpful or accomodating (in fact, they don't even acknowledge you when you walk in), the room smelled so strongly of bug spray and urine that I couldn't get to sleep, there was mold growing in the bathroom, hair on the "clean" towels, and the wi-fi kept cutting out. Not to mention how noisy it was (and I'm not generally bothered by noise). There's zero chance of sleeping in without industrial earplugs and those aren't going to help with the vibrations from all of the carts banging around the hallway or the slamming doors. Oh, and don't get me started on the "breakfast" or how the staff pops your english muffin out of the toaster while you're standing right there watching it. Even the in-room coffee packet had already been opened (but restocked in the display). On the plus side, we didn't have to bring a toy for our dog since the room was so poorly cleaned that my dog was able to just drag one out from under the bed. I wonder what else is down there...

Don't stay here. Stay in Vancouver or Beaverton, if you have to but don't stay here.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
GMor179, General Manager at Quality Inn Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
I will be asking for this posting to be removed because this is not our hotel. We do not accept dogs in our Quality Inn and they pictures guest took are not pictures of our hotel. This is an interior corridor hotel and our is an exterior. I am sorry these guests had a horrible stay but I am Thankful it was not our hotel.

Been to Quality Inn Downtown Convention Center? Share your experiences!