“Nice place, good value” 4 of 5 stars
Review of La Quinta Inn & Suites Portland NW

You added La Quinta Inn & Suites Portland NW to your Saves list
La Quinta Inn & Suites Portland NW
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4319 North West Yeon, Portland, OR 97210 (Formerly Hawthorn Inn & Suites)   |
Ranked #56 of 133 Hotels in Portland
Portland, Oregon
“Nice place, good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2009

A friend and I checked in here to escape a record-breaking heat wave in Portland. We wanted a place that had high-speed internet access, so we could work, and that accepted pets. La Quinta fit the bill perfectly. The room, though a bit small, was quite nicely decorated and comfortable. The air-conditioning worked well. The front desk staff was friendly and helpful. There is a good area to walk the dog. The breakfast was decent. At first, I was not keen about staying on the first floor, which is partially underground, but I actually preferred it. Since we live in Portland, we didn't care about the NW Industrial zone location, but it is very close to downtown, the Pearl District and Northwest 23rd Ave. I would recommend this to out-of-town guests.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
San Jose, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2009

We had been to this one two years ago before the remodel. That was fine, then, too. This time the room and building were very well-furnished - it was instantly apparent. So it felt comfortable. We like staying out of downtown and then driving in. The location is out in an industrial area, which is weird for those who first stay there, but for those who don't like congested downtown areas it turns out to be fine.

I have only two complaints with this La Quinta. For as nice as the rooms have been appointed, the are still serving breakfast on flimsy styrofoam "dishes." This seemed super incongruous with the updated place. In fact, it seemed stupid. It really put me off. We had stayed just previously in the La Quinta down in Albany, OR and they have not been updated at all, but they manage to provide real plates for the breakfast. Also, the side security door kept being propped open with the outside trash can by somebody, (kind of makes the security keys worthless) and when my husband told the front desk he got the impression that he was telling them something they didn't think was a big deal.

I would definitely stay here again. I like how La Quinta's not only accept dogs, but don't charge extra. This is really great for us as we don't go anywhere without our pooch.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Washington State
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2009

This hotel was nice. Breakfast was awesome! Pool is relaxing! Staff is friendly! Rooms are not huge but good size. I reccomend this hotel!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
mighotels, Regional Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Portland NW, responded to this review, July 15, 2009
I would like to thank you for taking the time to write something about our hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed the pool and our friendly staff.

Kind Regards,
Regional Manager
Brookings OR
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2009

I have to say we were pleasantly surprised. Understand this motel is located in an industrial area. If you want top notch, this is not for you. It is, however, a good deal for the money.The front desk staff were exceptional, especially Daniella. She was delightful. very accommodating, pleasant & helpful. We discovered our dead bolt did not work the first night ( the room was secure& had another lock) & when we reported it, they sent a repairman up asap and corrected the problem. The motel has undergone recent renovations. It was clean, smoke free and pet friendly (No pet smells at all!). Breakfast has a good selection, including a waffle machine, The beds were comfortable, the room we were in was quiet and the pool area was clean. We had no hesitancy about using both the hot tub & pool or walking barefoot in the room. Be sure and ask for nearby places to eat. Daniella directed us to an area just a short distance from the motel ( I suggest driving) which had a very nice selection of places to eat & shops that were upscale. If you don't mind being in an industrial area, this is a good choice away from all the hustle & bustle of the big city. I would definitely recommend this motel to those looking for a good deal.

• Liked — The value
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Thank you very much for responding in some way about our hotel. I am glad that you chose to stay with us.

I am glad that my staff was ready and willing to solve your problems when you had reported the situation. We strive to solve problems that the guests do receive in a timely manner during their stay.

Happy Travels and Hope to see you again!

-Maulin
Regional Manager
Seattle
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2008

Let’s start off with the deception of internet ad saying that this Inn is 1.6 miles from the University of Portland. It is over 8 miles from the University in a heavy industrial zone on the opposite side of the Willamette River. The Inn (it’s really a motel) is a three story cigar shaped (an apropos description) building in the final stages of a cheap make over (paint and carpet). We reserved a room with two beds in advance about a week in a half and upon arrival around 10:00 pm were queried whether we wanted to surrender the room to a larger group for which we declined. We immediately noticed the broken door hasp and wall bump plate placed over a six inch square of plywood upon entry to this room (206) as if it had been kicked in not too long ago. My wife began to get ready for bed and saw popcorn between the sheets which then caused her to inspect the rest of the linens. The other bed had not been changed and had residue of a previous guest’s romantic encounter. The pillow cases on that bed were stained with some kind of oily dirt. I went to the front desk to inform the staff. Danyella at the front desk was extremely apologetic and told us that the sheets would be replaced and while I was there, she reduced the room rate to 59.99 from the 89.99 rate since there were no other similar rooms available. I told her that I would replace the sheets because my wife had already dressed for sleep. We waited about 15 minutes and Danyella called and told us that we were not forgotten and about 20 minutes later she knocked on our door with clean linens and extra towels (I was wondering if there were any other staff?). The time waiting for the linens gave me additional opportunity to inspect the room. We could see that the carpet had not been vacuumed nor the bath tile floor cleaned. The tub had residue splats from construction (a concrete product). Both the entry door and bathroom door were both difficult to lock as I had to physically lift the door by the lockset to find that magic place to get the deadbolt to engage. The windows had not been cleaned in ages and because they were single paned, were sweating and had mildew around the frame. The entry door threshold and sweep were missing and every hallway conversation and vending machine noise was heard throughout the night. Similarly, the construction of this building did not consider noise attenuation for plumbing, floor and wall systems for we could hear talking next door, walking above us, telephone ringing, alarm clock sounds and incredibly loud plumbing emanating from other rooms. We did not sleep during the night’s stay. We decided not to avail ourselves of the morning free meal.

• Liked — The TV and Plumbing worked
  • Disliked — read the review as they are too numerous to list
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
mallorymm, General Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Portland NW, responded to this review, December 3, 2008
These experiences are understandably unacceptable for any guest to experience while staying at a hotel. It is disappointing to read these reviews as our facilities pride ourselves on providing our guests with outstanding customer service and high product quality at a reasonable price. We want every guest to feel that they got a great deal when staying here. This property is recently under new ownership and new management. Our goal of taking over this property is to make positive changes so that we are able to offer each and every guest clean and modernized guest rooms and amenities, higher product quality, and most of all improve our reputation amongst our guests. It is very important to our company that all of our guests leave here pleased with their experience. We will do whatever it takes to make this possible. Our renovations are currently nearing completion and we will be able to impress all guests that visit our property. We appreciate all the comments that we receive, positive and negative because that gives us a chance to make improvements. I would like to add that all of the issues shown in the pictures were brought to managements attention and have all been remedied and completely repaired.
Bakersfield, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2008

This hotel was undergoing reconstruction at the time of our visit.
I did not get the type of room that I had reserved. However, the room that we ultimately got was adequate for a one night stay.
Their recreation center was woefully inadequate with antiquated equipment. The free breakfast was the worst I have experienced at a La Quinta Inn facility. They had a small business center with one computer for hotel guest to use. The printer printed out faded copies. The hotel is located in an industrial area which takes away some of the ambiance of a normal hotel stay.

• Liked — Hotel was located fairly close to some of our relatives
  • Disliked — breakfast selection, breakfast eating area, recreation center, business center
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Plano, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2008

We were looking for a hotel close to downtown (not by the airport) but for a reasonable price. This hotel was close to downtown- only took us 7 minutes. I have stayed at LaQuinta's three times in the past year and have found them to be a good decent clean hotel for an overnight stay. So, when looking for a hotel to just check in for one night and leave early in the morning I figured - how bad could it be?

Well, it was bad. Don't ignore the reviews of the hotel. Here's the list of the issues:

1. The hotel is extremely smoky- the room had a very strong smell of smoke- even though it was a non-smoking room. The whole hotel smelled like it. It gave me a huge headache and everything in my suitcase now smells of smoke.

2. The hotel is under renovation- which is good- it needs it more than any other hotel I have been to. But, it is torn up all over and has trash everywhere- in the halls, the lobby, the parking lot, etc.

3. The room was so dirty I was afraid to walk around without shoes or socks. It was gross- stains all over the carpet, the shower filthy, toilet old and stained, the sink wouldn't drain, the paint chipping, the ceiling had tons of stains..

4. The air conditioner very loud, but worked ok.

5. Pool area dirty- didn't give you a feeling of being clean.

6. Breakfast lacking- no juice, stale bread, bagels, etc. Other La Quinta's have had a very nice breakfast, so not sure why this one was so different.

The only positive thing: the front desk was very nice, and there were pool towels stocked. The pool and spa was open 24 hours which was also a plus. Fridge and micro also nice.

Even for one night, I found it awful! Would not stay here again for sure! Although, it might get better after they are done renovating the hotel- but, it needs to be drastically overhauled. I was shocked that they were able to have the La Quinta label even.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Portland NW? Share your experiences!