“The food is good. I've had the beef, the pork, and the chicken and have not been disappointed. The "hawaiian tea" is...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Ohana Hawaiian Cafe

Cuisines: Polynesian, Hawaiian
Good for: Families with children, Outdoor seating
Good for: Families with children, Outdoor seating
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2010

The food is good. I've had the beef, the pork, and the chicken and have not been disappointed. The "hawaiian tea" is too sweet for my taste, but still was refreshing. My only complaint is they need a better ventilation system. I've been there 3 times, and 2 times I've had to air out my close because they were innundated with the smoke from the cooking. So if you're going to go there, get it to go.

Portland, Oregon
“Look Brah, this place broke da mouth !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2008

(English translation - "Hey friend, this place has delicious food!")

I've driven by this place countless times, finally give it a shot several weeks ago. I found really good food there and have been back three times since the first visit.

First - understand this place is extremely casual, as is usual and proper for Hawaiian places. When you walk in, catch the eye of a server or cook, grab some menus, stop by the soda fountain and pick up what you want and have a seat. The menu is concise, with lots of combo dishes to mix and match what you want.

I'll start with the chicken teriyaki chicken. It's moist and flavorful, maybe a little bit tougher than I'd like, but they cook it fast to order. The sauce is pretty sweet, one portion was two breast halves, a nice sized portion.

Short Ribs: Very good. they offer them with either a Hawaiian salt rub or marinated with teriyaki sauce. I opted for the salt rub, and was very happy with it. The little bit of course salt left on the meat really set the taste buds off. Meat like this is always a bit chewy, but I have come to like it that way.

Kalua pig: my dining partner had this and said it was very good. It looked rich and moist.

Breakfast - Yay! They serve breakfast all day on the weekends! When I visited the islands, I got hooked on Spam, Rice and Eggs for breakfast. (Add a little soy sauce, and you'll be hooked too!) Kinda oddly, they served this common breakfast combination with macaroni salad. Wasn't expecting it, but the mac is good..so - why not? :)

i really enjoy this place, and to be honest - we'll probably be back for lunch there later today. It isn't fancy, but it's clean. If it gets crowded, it will get noisy in there, so be forewarned if that is an issue for you (noise). Their business seems to be concentrated around meal times and clear out other times - so maybe go in the off hours for a quieter meal.

So - if you want to try a good example of casual Hawaiian food, please give this place a try. I bet you will enjoy it.