“Great Hostel Experience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hostelling International - Northwest Portland Hostel

You added Hostelling International - Northwest Portland Hostel to your Saves list
Hostelling International - Northwest Portland Hostel
425 NW 18th Avenue, Portland, OR 97209   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Hobart, Australia
“Great Hostel Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2011

I generally don't stay in a lot of hostels due to bad past experiences, however I was very pleasantly surprised by this place.

Tucked away in a lovely neighbourhood, we found that it offered everything we needed: a comfy bed, clean room and bathroom (shared), security, and great location.

We were within a short walk to the city centre, numerous hiking paths, restaurants, shops and convenience stores.

I would definitely stay here again, although would be sure to complain to the front desk about noisy neighbours next time!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
New York City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2010

I have never stayed before in a hostel so it was a surprise when the short lady (spiky hair and glasses) said that my federally-issued U.S. Passport was not sufficient enough identification to stay! She then asked if I had a license and was not amused that people from NYC rarely have drivers' licenses. We then settled on a business card showing my work address and this seemed to work. Short story: bring a drivers' or non-drivers' I.D. to avoid a tense "welcome".

The working practice is that the hostel discourages area people from using them as cheap accommodation (which I fully understand). There was even a tenser moment at checkout when a young man was asked to leave the lobby (with the police threatened to be called) since he did not seem to have the right I.D. either!!

I booked a single room (I think it was #14?). Very clean and simply furnished. It was located directly above the front door so the only negative was the sound of the door opening and closing when I tried to take a quick nap. Bathroom for the singles was shared but you could lock it for privacy. I would definitely recommend bringing some flip-flops for walking around from your room to the bathroom.

Unique Qualities: In an excellent neighborhood known as the "Alphabet District"- very attractive looking shops, restaurants, etc..

There is internet service (just bring singles if you use their terminals). Not sure about wireless.

Plenty of useful maps (since my general tips for more about Portland maps) in the Lobby.

Good way to meet people from around the world in the lower lounge. Smallish outside area to chill. There was a fairly mixed age-group, too.

There is a locked luggage room for those needing to store a bag.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
Boise, Idaho
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2010

Noisy furnace on full blast all afternoon on a warm day. Then switched to a noisy blower fan all night long. Vent blasted cool air right over the bed. In the bath the vent was right over the shower which blew cool air and forced the (too short) shower curtain to bellow allowing water to spray all over the floor! The thermostat, located in the hall, was locked. Employee tried to adjust it to no avail. Guy in room next door put ice cubes on it to shut off the heat. Worked for awhile. No amenities such as extra roll of toilet paper and box of tissues in the bath, or roll of paper towels in the kitchen. Front desk help didn't seem to care that much.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Bainbridge Island, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2010

When we arrived at this hostel they charged us way more than we originally booked for. They said that it was because of tax and service costs that no one told us about when we called and asked for the prize. Very misleading.
The rooms were very nice and comfortable.
The location was pretty far from the city center. Especially with your luggage. Also the staff repeatedly told costumers at the desk and on the phone different amounts of time it would take from the hostel to the city center. First she told us a 20 minute walk, and then a second late someone called and asked the same question, and she said 10 minutes.
There was no breakfast included, and all in all it was just not worth the price.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Port Saint Lucie, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2010

I loved that this hostel was in an old victorian home. I was there one night on a Tuesday so I got to attend a "Concerts in the Secret Garden" night. The garden was very nicely decorated with a little wooden stage for the performers and the hosts had available local bratwurst served on local bread and local beers (for a small cost). It's located right next to the historical downtown Portland so the location was great. The decor in the rooms was nil but each area of the rooms had a desk and chair and window. My room had 4 bunks that were very comfortable. Everything was clean and the only thing I can complain about was the poopy smell coming from the bathroom we shared, I mean it wasn't gut wrenching but any poopy smell is a bad smell. Maybe there wasn't enough ventilation? I don't know. The service was great and the common rooms were really cute and the kitchens were huge. Also, all the girls were in bed and lights out by like 10:30 so that was good.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Toronto, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2010

Thank you so much to the guy who stayed a bit late for us when our flight was very delayed. The cab was much pricier than our planned MAX train from the airport but got us there very quickly. Private room was surprisingly spacious and fairly comfortable, close to the bathroom. We could hear our neighbours during the day, but it was quiet at night. There were at least three toddlers in the building at the time but we only really noticed them in the breakfast room. Fridge was pretty full but we found room for our haul from Trader Joes which is a short walk up the road. Pretty walkable to most of downtown. Room was pretty spartan, but the bed was comfortable. We didn't spend much time in the room. Bathrooms got pretty steamy if people didn't prop the door open after a shower. Tub floor + slippery soap made for a dicey combination - a mat or some kind of textured floor would be safer.

Great four night stay, only complaint was that it was a bit warm when first going to bed during a rare very warm June weekend. Would stay again. Might bring a fan if I were planning a long stay in warm weather. Free Wi-Fi.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Chevy Chase, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2010

I stayed in the hostel in Dec 2009 with my wife. The service was good, they were polite and gave us maps and explained us how to get to different places. My wife and I wanted privacy so we stayed in a private room. The room was ok, with no TV, no closets. It was clearly what we were expecting. But what we did not expect is to have the bathroom outside the room and shared with other rooms. We thought that because of the fact that it was a "private" room we will have all incorporated in the room. The bathroom was very clean, though. This is hotel is more for backpackers than people looking for a nice and warm stay with your couple. I would recommend it only for people with low budgets and that are willing to share bathrooms and the facilities with other people staying at the hostel.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Hostelling International - Northwest Portland Hostel? Share your experiences!