The building is beautiful. The rooms VERY clean. Everyone is very polite, but not friendly.
People don't look up at breakfast, and there isn't a lot of 'hi nice to meet you' conversations.
The staff had a sort of ennui that was shocking following a Seattle Hostel that abounds in friendliness. They seemed more interested in talking amongst themselves. I overheard several insipid and self-centered conversations amongst them that I really wished I hadn't.
The staff, being mostly 20-something women was less than diverse, but then Portland itself is not very diverse although I at least noticed men and people of other ages and colors around town.
It was disappointing really.
The clientele did have some diversity in gender, age, and country of origin.
The location is great, but there are also nearby hotels which feature kitchens for a comparable price.
The breakfast consists of delicious, plentiful, but seemingly day-old, breads and pastries from a nearby bakery. There is peanut butter, jam, and butter.
Coffee is available only during breakfast hours.
The communal kitchen is decent and clean although the signs about what you can and cannot cook are confusing and contradictory.
You can't cook foods that create grease-laden vapors, but you should turn on the fan if you could certain types of food that create certain types of cooking vapors.
The clean up process involves washing and rinsing your own dishes and putting them in a 'sanitizing' solution before they air dry.
Kind of gross that they don't go into a steam cleaner/sanitizer. Watching some people washing their own left me with the impression that they could end up less than clean so I was washing my dishes both before and after meals at the hostel.
I should note I am NOT squeamish about a little dirt around the edges, but this was gross.
If you are hoping for a communal atmosphere don't stay here.
I probably would not stay here again. The cost did not make up for the lack of benefits that hosteling can bring.
- Also Known As:
- Hostelling International - Northwest Portland Hotel Portland
- Hostelling International - Northwest Portland Hotel
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Private rooms and dorms, common kitchen, outdoor courtyard and gardens. Central location in NW Portland near the Pearl. Portland's best bargain! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with HostelWorld and HostelBookers so you can book your Hostelling International - Northwest Portland Hostel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.