You added Hostelling International - Northwest Portland Hostel to your Saves list
Hostelling International - Northwest Portland Hostel
425 NW 18th Avenue, Portland, OR 97209   |
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“The Best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

Pros:
- Great value
- CLEAN
- Centrally located
- Loads of bathrooms with hot water.
- Awesome front desk personnel, volunteered info and organized tours. I just felt like they wanted to ensure my stay was fun.
- Plenty of common areas, so much so that finding a nook to have to myself was not a problem.
- Coin laundry
- NO charge for lockers, locks or towels.
- 2 full kitchens with everything you'll need to make your meals (Flatware, plates, pots, etc)The house I stayed in had 2 ovens.
- Very light breakfast (mostly toast and coffee).
- Plenty of info in the hostel about local events of all sorts. Perfect for the lone traveller.
- We stayed in the 8 bed coed dorm. I was expecting one big room with bunks, however in was a room with two side rooms. So the main room included a full bath and a bunk bed, the second room had 2 bunk beds and the other room had 1 bunk bed with a sheet as the door (My husband and I were blessed to snag this one).
- Key card entry to everything. Another bit of assurance of being in a city with an active "transient" population ;-)
- So many more pros, but I'll stop there.

Cons:
- If your room faces a common area it can get a little noisy, but all we did was close the window.

Bottom Line:
Go!! This is a top notch operation. Very organized and obviously guided by customer service for the light traveling adventure bound of all ages.

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Annandale, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Just finished 4 nights at the Northwest Portland Hostel. For me, the location was great. Never too far to walk anywhere I needed to go, close to public transit, and perfect for someone touring the city.

The room was more than sufficient. I stayed in both a twin private room and queen private room, and both were acceptable. Both rooms were above the office, had access to shared bathrooms (two full baths, one half bath) and a quick set of stairs got me to the kitchen and dining area. Outside the hostel were two seating areas for enjoying the weather, having a beer, reading a book, etc.

This is the first hostel stay for me, so I'm unable to provide comparison. However, for the price, I saved about $100 a night over what a downtown hotel would have cost me.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

We rented one of the private upstairs twin rooms in what would have been a family home in a classic Portland old wooden residence. Beautifully appointed rooms, with fans. Shared bathrooms upstairs and downstairs that are clean and water is hot. (The upstairs shower had problems with water drainage which meant you were standing in a puddle). Kitchen facility downstairs and two comfy reading rooms. The adjacent main hostel has a kitchen where daily(make your own breakfast) is provided. The staff are helpful and there is plenty of info about what to do in Portland. Close by is a very nice restaurant strip and a Trader Joes food store. There is attention to recycling.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
The Woodlands, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Recently completed two different stays here while travelling through the Northwest. Both times I had private rooms, and they were both nice. The building on the 18th Avenue, with the main building, is the better choice. There are plenty of food and coffee options in the vicinity, and the trains in to downtown are only about a 5 minute walk away. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone looking to save a few bucks if you only plan to be in your room sparingly.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Salmon Arm, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

This is one of the cleanest and friendliest Hostels I have stayed in. It was also pretty quiet (Rare for a downtown hostel.) The bathrooms and dorm rooms were very clean. There is a nice kitchen area to make your own food, also very clean. I have been in some NIGHTMARE hostels and this is definitely a shining example of how a hostel should run. Great job ladies! Thank you, I will recommend this place to all who are coming to Portland.

My girlfriend and I stayed in a Co-ed Dorm room. Even though we couldn't sleep in the same bed, it was very inexpensive for both of us to stay. ($52 for 2 people)

Breakfast was sparse, but really good... Coffee and Toast, but both really nice quality. Great bread from a local bakery and beautiful coffe from the shop across the street.

Room Tip: Book early if you want a private room.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
NWPortlandOR, Manager at Hostelling International - Northwest Portland Hostel, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Hi David!

Thanks for the kind review! We really appreciate it! Please visit us again next time you're in PDX! THANK YOU!!!
Port Townsend, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Yes, this was one of the prettiest and cleanest hostels I have been, having had a membership and traveled the world in them. But beware, they rip you off! The hostel guide had them at $30, we were going to stay there before when I checked it out so I had cut and pasted that info. Indeed, some reviews mention $25 rooms.

I was checked in by a young English woman, that turned out to be a manager. She said private rooms were full, so I could use the private apt, at $75 apprrx [with tax and parking I paid well over $82, which is how much the Marriot goes for dtn]. She said I could use half the flat, as long as I didn't touch the kitchen or other bedroom. Fair enough, we are from Port Townsend and I have rented many a honeymoon suite with the same directions not to use certain rooms to get a discount. I also had to wait for them to use my room for a meeting from 4-5, but I was gone and my plans had fallen thru. I came back, had to dump my purse to find all the keys, was talking to my husband, who runs a hotel here in PT, when a worker and a man came waltzing in! It was not explained to me that they bumped me from my room, I could use the bunkbed room, I had NO choice, was livid and demanded refund and they REFUSED. I was told to wait til morning, had no choice but what they did to me! My husband moves people to different rooms all the time for tiny reasons; sharing with this man was a HUGE reason. Again, I was told PRIVATE. My husband told them how to move me to another room, he had to walk then thru it. I was bumped, that room was cheaper [either $30 or $52, depending upon whom you speak to]. Also, FYI the place is LOUD and 'breakfast' is Dickension bread and runny peanut butter, no napkins. I don't know how many hostels I have stayed in, from tiny villages to big cities in Europe, and been lovingly given a hot meal, with a folded napkin and silverware; this was worse that prison service or food!

I waited til I got back, spoke to same manager, and she admitted booking me nad telling me all that, but no refund. They also had said I could have rented the whole flat at $170. same price as Hotel Monaco. This is a HOSTEL not the Hilton, and they are charging way too much of they think they can get it. We are disputing it on our credit card. Cute and clean, but you may as well stay at a hotel for less!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Garden Grove, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I stayed here for 4 nights in a 4 bed male dorm. I had an overall pleasant stay with no major complaints. The dorm was clean, quiet and comfortable. I was assigned a top bunk bed which is smaller than the bottom beds and a little small for my height. There were plenty of showers and restrooms- I never had to wait for one. Everything was kept clean, and the staff were very friendly and full of local information. Free wifi worked great. I enjoyed the fresh bakery breads and jams in the morning. Don't expect a full breakfast. The hostel is in a nice quiet neighborhood, about a 15 minute walk to downtown. Lots of events and activities if you're interested. I paid about $35 a night after tax & the HI membership fee, not exactly cheap for a bunk bed. But it's still the best value when you compare it to hotel prices in the downtown area. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: If you're tall- ask for a bottom bunk bed, they're bigger.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Been to Hostelling International - Northwest Portland Hostel? Share your experiences!