“Really nice place in Portland.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hostelling International - Northwest Portland Hostel

You added Hostelling International - Northwest Portland Hostel to your Saves list
Hostelling International - Northwest Portland Hostel
425 NW 18th Avenue, Portland, OR 97209   |
Mexico City, Distrito Federal, Mexico
“Really nice place in Portland.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

This hostel is very nice. It's clean, comfortable and inexpensive, the staff is really friendly. The house is beautiful, it has a nice garden with tables, the rooms and bathrooms are very pretty, the kitchen is well equipped, big and comfortable. It is in a nice neighborhood with lots of restaurants, bars and a Trader Joes really close, but it's not very near to Portland downtown. I would totally recommend it, it's a great place to stay in Portland.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

Centrally located in the Pearl "Alphabet streets" section of Portland, OR. In the area of good shops, restaurants and services. Close to the train and bus stations and a short walk to area buses.
The first night I stayed in the men's dorm and switched to a private room the second night. The single room was definitely to my liking, small but adequate.
Kitchen is well equipped and if you bring your own food you can find all you need to prepare a good meal. Artisan bread assortment for breakfast with beverages available.
Staff is very helpful with directions and maps to local attractions. A computer is available in the office as well as Wi-Fi.

Room Tip: Be sure to reserve online as they fill up fast and just walking in you might not get a place.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Auckland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed in one of the guest houses in a private room.

Although it was a bit confusing to find our way to our room from the main HI reception, we figured it out pretty quickly and the ladies at check-in were very friendly.

What we loved;
- The building was a lovely old Victorian style and felt like a converted home rather than a purpose built cheap hostel (a good thing!)
- The room was SUPER spacious with a comfy bed, chest of drawers, desk, chair, wardrobe, mirror, lounger
- There was two lounges in the building featuring La-Z-Boys, comfy loungers, heaps of books etc
- Rooms while comfy old-school style, were cushy and had electronic locks on the doors
- Bathrooms were spacious
- Location is amazing - directly opposite World Cup Coffee shop (yum), 1 block from the most awesome Movie Theatre ever ($3 admissions, pints of micro-brews and pub food :) :)), and only a few blocks from 21st street (cafes and pubs)
-15 minutes walk to Washington Park

Overall would stay here again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Make sure you go to the cinema nearby - so awesome!!!!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

I'd give the hostel 5 stars if it had own normal-sized parking and if rooms were better designed, but have to give only 4 stars. Hostel's location is great and close to interesting NW Portland areas, where you can easily walk. Whole Foods, Powell's Bookstore and many other places are quite close and the walk through the city is pleasant. The hostel has a small parking with is always occupied and it's hard to get a spot there, it's first come first serve, so I had to park on the street; it was easy to find parking, but I did worry about my property left in the trunk. This hostel is big, has 2 large kitchens, and has awesome organic breads donated by a local bakery for travelers to enjoy in the mornings. You have to pay for coffee there and has free filtered water (in one of the kitchens). Hostel stuff is very helpful and friendly and will take their time to help you with directions. A lot of interesting non-local people tend to stay in this hostel, and you can always count on good conversation. What I didn't like is that the dorms were too big--they were, however, split in 4-bed sections separated by curtains--which still doesn't block the noise; also people smoke in the patio and you have to walk by them to get to your hall way entrance. Overall, it was a pleasant experience and I'd stay there again.

Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
San Jose, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

I agree with almost everything else the other reviewers have said: The staff is really helpful and quick to give directions and suggestions. The location is great--in a pretty cool neighborhood and within easy walking distance of public transit and everything you want to see (Powell's!). It was pretty clean; the bathrooms were a bit musty, probably due to the age of the building, but nothing felt icky. And I felt totally safe and secure: I was traveling by myself, and all of the other women who passed through my 6-bed female-only dorm room were also solo. I had no problems on my own in the hostel or in the city. I would be totally fine with staying here--by myself or with my traveling buddy--again.

Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
JKTraveler77, General Manager at Hostelling International - Northwest Portland Hostel, responded to this review, February 3, 2012
Thanks for the rave review! We put a lot into making our hostel a fun and safe environment for travelers. It’s always great to get the feedback like yours, letting us know it’s happening!. Come stay with us again when you can, either solo or with a travel buddy!
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

We liked Portland a lot -- clean, friendly, and small enough to explore comfortably. This hostel just on the edge of the northern part of the city center is a complement to the city and provided us a fine place to stay.

We traveled via Amtrak and the hostel was in walking distance from the Amtrak station (about 10 blocks; a 15-20 minute walk). The hostel is comprised of three buildings; we stayed in one of the side buildings in a great room with two bedrooms for our family of four -- easily the nicest hostel accommodations we've ever had. No private bathroom, but that was hardly a problem with several bathrooms in the house.

The only problem I found was that I couldn't get the WiFi working despite numerous attempts. It may have been an odd router configuration, but I'm sure I was just unlucky, as no one else had problems as far as I was aware. We also had trouble receiving a message from local friends -- our friends had to make three attempts before the hostel staff passed on the note to us. But I think these things are incidental and do not reflect the service and staff.

In the summer they have regular music nights outside in the quaint backyard -- what a great atmosphere and setting. To explore the city, it's only a short walk until you get to the free transit zone.

Overall, this is a great hostel and we would certainly stay here again

Room Tip: The adjacent house with private rooms is much quieter
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
We’re happy to get your “great hostel” review, especially since you had issues with the WIFI and messages. We agree with you on the WIFI, so much so, that we just invested in a whole new system, which is up and running with no complaints!! Nothing worse than not getting connected when you need to. We are usually good about delivering messages to rooms or the message board. Sounds like we messed up with yours. With up to 130 guests a night it can happen during hectic times. With you taking the time to let us know there was a problem, we will work to make it better. Good to know you will be back!! If you hit us in the summer, we’ll be doing our popular music/BBQ nights again, every Tuesday!!
Jacksonville, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2011

I have been to quite a few hostels and this one if by far my favorite. Built into an old house, it has an old time feel on the outside but the inside is %100 Portland. It was warm and cozy and the staff where plenty nice and helpful. Now, if you're looking for something upscale, this place may not be for you. We stayed in a private room but still shared that bathroom that was fairly clean except after some hikers checked in after what looked like a very ling walk from Canada or somewhere, and filled the shower with leaves. like most hostels you bring your own soap and such, but towels are provided. Be warned though, this place does not have AC, so if you are visiting in the summer you may want to grab a fan by the front desk. Other than a few minor flaws, this place was the best.

Room Tip: If you get a private room, they are all on the top floor away from the kitchen and washers.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Been to Hostelling International - Northwest Portland Hostel? Share your experiences!