“Best secret in Portland” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Via Delizia

Via Delizia
1105 NW Marshall St, Portland, OR 97209-2874 (Pearl)
503-225-9300
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #492 of 3,629 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Coffee Shop, Dessert
Neighborhood: Pearl
Neighborhood: Pearl
Eugene, Oregon
“Best secret in Portland”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

We love love Via Delizia. There are many Italian restaurants to choose from and we have been to quite a few. But, for price, good food, lovely atmosphere and absolutely great gelato, this restaurant cannot be beat. Located in the Pearl, it's the restaurant with the olive tree inside (Maybe you've passed it). Food quality is very consistently good. Service is very nice. The only criticism is that the menu needs to change more frequently. Still, go for the gelato, stay for the linguine!
Ciao!

Visited October 2012

Newport Beach, CA
“Small, intimate Italian food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Lovely small restaurant in the North Pearl area. sitting outdoors you and directly look at Tanner Park. service and food was good and the owner was lovely and gave us tastes of different gelatos while we were leaving. Great lunch and dinner place...have never been for breakfast.

• Visited August 2012
“All round great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011 via mobile

We have been there for breakfast, lunch, and dinner ( on different days!) and it is a great little restaurant. Great food and great service - and very good value. People who know food and how to deliver good food with some flair. Their range of gelatti is also interesting and ever-changing. Well worth a visit.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Portland, Oregon
“Hidden Portland Local Favorite”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2011

I near this cafe/restaurant and stop by at least once a week. Great food for lunch, nice panini and salads. Excellent service and the gelato is genuine. If you are in the area, stop in for lunch, dinner or simply a cup of coffee and one of those wicked pastries they make.

• Visited June 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Corvallis, OR
“Our little secret...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2011

This restaurant is one of those places that I want to tell everybody about but I also want to keep it to myself. It's truly a gem and I'm surprised there aren't more favorable reviews for the place!

Some of our best friends came to the restaurant on Valentine's Weekend for dessert and when they came back they couldn't stop raving about the place, even bringing back menus for us to look at. So when drove up north to do a wine tasting with them, we decided to travel a bit further and try Via Delizia out for dinner.

Though we were not seated right away, we were greeted immediately and the host was quite friendly. We didn't mind waiting for them to clear the tables, we took the time to glance at their collection of gelato (full of flavors such as Strawberry Balsamic, Black Butte Porter, and Caramel Latte) and pastry desserts.

The restaurant is quite small but, as another reviewer said, "cute" and cozy. It reminded us of being in Crete and dining outside. The menu was Mediterranean-inspired and the theme carried into the interior of the establishment.

We started off with appetizers and ordered a Mediterranean tray and the Brie a la Forno. The Brie was delicious, probably my favorite part of the entire meal. The four of us then ordered the Wild Salmon dish, Paella, Pork Tenderloin, and the Diavolo Rustica.

Wild Salmon - The salmon was slightly overcooked but slathered in a delicious sauce. The potatoes accompanying the dish was perfect. The friend who ordered it loved the dish and thought it strange that they paired potatoes with salmon but now she'll want nothing but.

Diavolo Rustica - My husband's dish, he thought it was good. Nothing outstanding but a decent pasta dish.

Paella - The dish I ordered, it was a large portion and had nice sized pieces of Tiger shrimp, scallops, Italian sausage, and chicken. It wasn't the best paella I've ever had but it was good. Unfortunately, after the amazing Brie, I was expecting "fantastic" and I have to say the dish fell short.

Pork Tenderloin - Hands down the best entree ordered that night. The pork was so tender and the butternut squash that came with it was the perfect addition. It was my second choice and when I tried the dish I was really disappointed that I hadn't ordered it myself.

The gluttons we are, we ended up ordering desserts as well. All the desserts were quite good, they all came with a scoop (or two) of gelato. I picked the Honey Crepes, which one of our friends had last time and recommended to me. I can see why he loved the dish so much but the Mascarpone-Cheese filling overpowered all the other flavors for me, flavors that I preferred (a delicious berry compote, sweet strawberries, and the crepes themselves). But the gelato was amazing, flavors were complicated and unique, texture smooth and creamy, and pairings were perfect (especially when drenched in a sweet Port).

Admittedly, the food isn't spectacular, but it's still good. The best reason to go is definitely the service and the atmosphere. Our waiter, I believe his name was Jordan, was the same waiter who waited on our friends during Valentine's. With them he was informative, passionate about the food, super friendly and nice. They took us to the restaurant mostly because of him. And now I'm writing this review mostly because of him.

He apologized profusely for our wait (and it really wasn't so bad) and we reassured him that we didn't mind at all. We even told him that he was our favorite waiter and he came back with a kind of aperitif on the house. He later brought us a glass of Port to tide us over before desserts came out and offered us all a second round of wine. We declined, we didn't want to abuse his generosity.

He took great care of us, was very attentive, informative (he gave me an excellent recommendation on which wine to order to pair with the paella), and very nice.

If you're looking for a nice, casual restaurant with great food and incredible service do come to Via Delizia. It's a hidden gem in the Pearl!

• Visited February 2011