“Great food! A little expensive...” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dessert, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Portland
“Great food! A little expensive...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Well, like everyone says, we had to wait about 45 minutes to an hour to be seated. We did go at peak dinner time on a Friday night. Maybe it's better on other nights/times. Upon being seated, it was extremely noisy. I could barely hear my friend across the table from me. It was difficult to carry on a conversation. I noticed that they had some outside seating, which is probably quieter. My wife and I shared a small Butter Lettuce Salad which was very good, with lettuce, bacon, bleu cheese crumbles, radishes with a buttermilk dressing. I ordered the Braised Pork shoulder over beans. The pork was excellent, literally pull-apart tender. The beans were good, if not unusually large beans, not something I've had before. My wife ordered the Shrimp and Grits. Even though I am originally from the South, I had never tried grits before, and neither had she. So it was a novelty order if nothing else. My wife loved the shrimp, plump and juicy. The grits were so-so. The closest thing I can equate them to would be Cream of Wheat. Kind of bland. One of my friends had the Buttermilk Fried Chicken, which came highly recommended, and he said it was the best fried chicken he had ever had! The prices were a tad high. About $40 plus tip for my wife and I. We generally don't spend that much at a restaurant, but all in all, I would say it was worth the experience at least one time, or on special occasions. We might go back for a birthday or something.

vancouver bc canada
“Lively place, good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Be ready to wait in line. Go with the understanding that you'll wait in line. Don't give in to hope that you'll get a table right away. You won't. But you'll be glad you waited. Get a drink from the bar to enjoy while you wait. You can eat beans and greens and salad and be healthy, or you can eat deep fried oysters, corn bread, grits, fried chicken or a burger. It's all good. Really good.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Delta, Utah
“Visited here because of TripAdvisor and I thank all reviewers!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Like I said, I went here because of all the reviews on this website and I am dang glad I did!!

First of all, like some said, you need to be early if you want a table without having to wait. We arrived about 25 minutes before opening and there were approx. 20 people in line when they opened. The place was completely full by the time we left about 40 minutes later.

I had the shrimp with grits and it was delicious!! You may not think shrimp and bacon and grits go good together, but they do!

My wife had the fried chicken and it was just as delicious as the shrimp! The service was great and the ambiance was too. I would definitely go here again!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Portland, Oregon
“Come for the show - stay for the food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

We knew there would be a long wait for Sunday Brunch today, so we planned to enjoy the sunny day and people watching. Arriving at 11:30 we waited for more than an hour. You definitely need to plan it as an event, not a quick meal. It seemed that groups of 4 or more moved through more quickly and we saw that there were alot more tables of that size one we got inside. I'd suggest bringing along some friends to help pass the time with. Next visit, I'm popping into the bar for a Mimosa during the wait, too! The staff were happily working as fast as possible. We sat at the end of the bar with a great view of the kitchen. That was the real show. Organized cheerful chaos! My husband had the Smoked Brisket Hash / 2 eggs over easy and reports that it was YUMMY, VERY GOOD! I enjoyed the Oysters Benedict with grits. Excellent food and generous portions.

Redwood City, California
“Good for the soul soul food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

We timed it perfectly on a Thursday evening. The restaurant was crowded but we were seated almost immediately. As we sat waiting for our food, the crowds were starting to show up and the famous lines were forming. We started with the shrimp and grits, which was superb. I was there with my husband and brother-in-law who both ordered the chicken. I ordered the Screen Door Plate which provided a choice of three house side dishes and I picked the catfish, collard greens and the local organic vegetable side. The catfish was a little overwhelmed by the thick crust but judging by the noises I heard from the other two, the crust was perfect with the chicken. But the fish inside was delicious and perfectly prepared. The collard greens were not my favorite as I like them on the drier side but the vegetables (potatoes, broccoli, onions, etc) were terrific. Service was actually pretty good and the value was not bad either. The restaurant could use some art or something to soak up the din of the place but I like the decor of jars of everything everywhere. We will be back for the chicken!

• Visited April 2013