“make a res” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Dessert
Vancouver Island, Canada
“make a res”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

A MUST for dining in Portland. We sat outside on the picnic style tables. Great food, great staff, loved it.

Visited September 2012

89% Recommend
Vestal, New York
“Excellent food, great staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

We were Portland on a recent weekday evening desperately seeking a meal and walked in after getting a recommendation from a bicyclist at a stop light. Even though the kitchen had closed, the friendly and accommodating staff offered to make us something. They served us some AMAZING jambalaya. We followed that up with some equally amazing dessert. Overall, an unexpectedly great ending to our night in Portland!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Central California
“Doesn't get any better than this.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

We visit Screen Door every time we're in Portland - it's our very favorite place. Unless you time it just right, be prepared to wait as this is not a huge place and the patio is small. I can't say enough about the quality of the food and the service. They offer daily specials which are often sold out if you go later in the evening. One of our favorite meals is the fried chicken. My son and husband claim that they have never had anything better and order it every time. I try different meals each time and always love whatever I order. You will not be disappointed.

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Columbus, Ohio
“Awesome Place for So Many Reasons!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Ok, this was the only restaurant I looked up in Trip Advisor that I definitely wanted to try out because all the reviews were pretty excellent. I like to not plan things when I visit new cities and just explore, but this was an exception--and I'm so glad! First, I showed up around 5pm in case I couldn't find any parking. But this restaurant is not located downtown, it's across the river in a more residential area (very cute neighborhood). So I found some free street parking pretty quickly. As I got closer to the restaurant, there was already a line halfway down the street. I didn't panic because it's just myself--and there's usually always a seat for one person:) The door opened up and everyone slowly streamed in. I got my seat at the bar and ordered one of their special cocktails; I wish I could remember what it was, but I remember liking it. It was a vodka drink with blood orange in it. My plan was to try and order/taste as much food as I could--I honestly thought that their portions would be on the smaller side because it's such a trendy place. And oh, how wrong I was. Their portions are huge--and for the prices--you can't beat it at all. People talk about how expensive Portland is, but I did not find that to be the case with food. The Screen Door is a steal, especially with the quality of food.
Anyway, I ordered the corn fritters which kicked some major booty. I ordered the shrimp and grits and it was EXCELLENT. I ordered the fried chicken and it was probably the best fried chicken I have ever had. Perfectly flavored, perfectly fried and crispy, just amazing. Mashed potatoes and gravy with some tangy collard greens...oh dear. I also ordered dessert: the chocolate peanut butter ice box cake. Well, I don't have to explain how incredible it was. The peanut butter mouse was like real peanut butter--not too sweet and just the right amount of saltiness. It was to die for. Again, the portions are huge. I didn't finish any one dish, so I took it all back to the hotel.
I love this restaurant and everything it does. It's very creative with typical Southern cuisine, the prices are wonderful (I think), the servings are more than enough, and it's all locally sourced/organic/seasonal. Portland is full of these type of restaurants and I want to eat my way through the city. But Screen Door is truly deliciously sinful. If I lived in Portland, I would probably develop diabetes and heart problems because i would eat here all the time...

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Really great. Really”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

My friend and I spent a couple of weeks driving through the Pacific NW and NoCal and have dined at 15+ restaurants in that time. Of all of the places we've been to, our meal at Screen Door was by far, the best. I got the Screen Door plate (fried catfish, collard greens and mashed potatoes), where you choose three "side items" off the menu, but don't be fooled by the name - the portions for each side item were hearty and everything was delicious. All the flavors were well balanced and despite polishing off my plate, I was not feeling sluggish or like a greaseball. The service was very friendly, but not in-your-face attentive. And the wide selection of beers is always a plus.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere