“Perhaps the best pizza I've ever had” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #65 of 3,621 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner
Indianapolis
“Perhaps the best pizza I've ever had”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

I've eaten a lot of good pizza. I'm such a nut that I have a wood-burning oven at home and make my own pizza about every weekend. However, eating Ken's this week almost left me depressed. First off, I had a good feeling when my daughter and I walked into the place and saw a huge stack of wood and a large wood-burning oven. The restaurant is simple and unpretentious. I ordered the spicy Soppressata and my daughter the Arugula. Both were incredible. The crust was a delightful balance of crunchy exterior and chewy interior, expertly cooked in the way only a wood-burning oven can. The sauce and toppings were delectable, and plentiful. My pizza was accompanied by a very nice draft IPA. Neither of us could finish and we took out nearly a whole pizza most of which vanished before the night was over. If you're looking for great pizza - or just great food - in Portland, I heartily recommend Ken's Artisan Pizza.

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

New Orleans
“Best Pizza!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

Went to Ken's Artisan Pizza on a Sunday in August on recommendation with a friend while in town for a wedding. There was a slight wait, but the place was packed so that was expected. The service was prompt and the pizza was amazing! They had a nice selection of beer and wine available. Definitely on the list for my next trip back to PDX!

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Perfect pizza”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

I love fancy pizza and this was so good. So fresh. So delicious. Our serve was really great, too. It was rather busy but it was worth the wait. Great atmosphere, too.

Visited April 2013
“So so.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

I've been here a few times, and have an always really enjoyed myself. The pizzas are served on extremely thin bread, with a minimum of toppings, but if you order right they can be quite delicious. In true Portland style, the quality of the ingredients is excellent. But the portions are not very filling, and much worse is the inevitable crowd to get seated in the accompanying noise. The service is not particularly attentive. If someone else was paying the bill, and I was guaranteed the table without a 25 minute wait on a quiet day, I would definitely go here. But for old fogeys like me, I think there are better choices.

The owner is a nice guy, and he makes some of the best bread in Portland.'s bakery on the other side of the river is also a worthy destination.

Visited November 2013
Portland, Oregon, USA
“Found it to be merely okay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

This is a very popular place and recommended by many acquaintances so I finally gave it a try. It can be very crowded but I was able to avoid having to wait by arriving early, before the main dinner crowds.

I found the pizza to be okay but not nearly as good as the raves of Portlanders make it sound. Thin crust, crisp. Not my favorite type of pizza but I'm okay with it. In particular, another Portland pizza favorite, Apizza Scholls, also has thin crust pizza and actually does live up to the raves and long lines. What I really care about is not the crust but the toppings and that's where Ken's disappointed: sparse and uninspiring. It was okay pizza but did not live up to the hype.

• Visited January 2013