“Good food, interesting atmosphere” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Kenny and Zuke's Delicatessen

Kenny and Zuke's Delicatessen
1038 Southwest Stark Street, Portland, OR 97205 (Downtown)
503-222-DELI
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner
Neighborhood: Downtown
oregon
“Good food, interesting atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

The atmosphere is of a simple diner, but it's the view outside the window that sucks you in. This is classic Portland. A couple of blocks south of world famous Powell's Books, and near other popular eateries and local businesses, you see the best and worst of Portland outside your window.

Ah, but the food. Excellent! It is high priced for lunch ($13.45 for pastrami & slaw). My companions ordered double decker sandwiches for $15.95 each. Not sure if it was the third piece of bread that made it bigger, but it did appear to have quite a lot of meat. This would have been a better choice with a half sandwich left over. Sorry, the auditor in me is doing calculations. The servers got things mixed up and after a couple of attempts we decided just to switch our sides at the table. The coleslaw in non traditional... I'm guessing just cabbage in a raspberry vinagerette? No mayo. The potato salad was German like, but not hot and on the menu it just says "potato salad or coleslaw." No indication you're getting a non traditional side. Still, they were good.

Ok, bottom line, food good, atmosphere interesting (not for kids though), be prepared to spend. There has always been a line at this place when I have gone by, so don't go at noon.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

74% Recommend
Seattle
“Good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

The good sized corned beef reuben was delicious as was the German potato salad. Being Portland, there was of course a selection of good local beers. The server was friendly and helpful. Dessert wasn't particularly remarkable. Combine it with a visit to the nearby Powell Bookstore for a satisfying outing.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Penticton, Canada
“Enjoyed the Environment, Not the Corned Beef”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

We were here yesterday. I agree with Angelia S for the cool, calm environment and awesome music. I asked what their specialty was and the server mentioned that it was the pastrami sandwich.

I really want to give this place high marks, but I just can't. The pastrami in the sandwich was cut way too thick, it was dry, there wasn't enough sauce / mustard and they squished the bread like a panini. It just wasn't what I was expecting. I guess once you've been to Schwartz's in Montreal, all other smoked meat sandwiches just aren't the same.

Other than that, the mimosa's were good, and so was the coffee. I would go back and maybe try breakfast.

One last note:

I almost never mention decor in a restaurant, however all the walls were bare, which was a little weird. If you're going to say that pastrami is your specialty, then why not put up some black and white pictures of your history? Who is Kenny? Who is Zuke? How do they make it? Where? It would taste better if there was an explanation behind it. If you're proud of your product, own it. Make me understand why you serve it like that.

Yorkton, Canada
“Great environment, ample food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

We were unsure why the prices were a bit more than expected (15+ for salad and sandwich) but when we got the plates it all made sense. Tons of delicious food. The servers should actually warn you how much there actually is. Cool, calm environment. Had great service and awesome music.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Louisville, KY
“Enjoyed the corned beef, but not much else”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

I ordered a corned beef sandwich and a bowl of matzoh ball soup. The corned beef had great flavor. It wasn't overly salty and was perfectly moist. The rest of the meal was lacking. The rye bread tasted stale and was crumbly and hard and my soup was almost inedibly salty. My meal was over $20! I'm used to sandwiches at NY style delis to be piled high and my sandwich had maybe 3-4 slices on it, total. Not a good value at all. The staff wasn't especially friendly and seemed annoyed that I didn't know what I wanted to order as soon as I was seated.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere