“Good Enough” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Portland, Oregon
“Good Enough”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

The front staff was nice and accommodated our request for a king instead of the 2 queens we had gotten online. Room (bed, etc.) seems to have been updated since our last stay. Not my favorite area, definitely alarm the car and be safe - which you have to do pretty much any place in a big city - but we haven't had any theft or vandalism or problems in 3 or 4 stays. Glad they take dogs!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
BWPortland, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN Inn At The Meadows, responded to this review, March 30, 2014
Hello M J,

Thank you for staying with us! We are glad that we are able to help you on getting a king bedroom. Our hotel has been recently renovated, and we are really happy to hear that you liked it. Hope to see you and your dogs soon.

BEST WESTERN Inn at the Meadows Staff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

My partner and I have been wanting to venture down to Portland for quite some time. After moving to its' northern sister city of Seattle, we decided that Portland would be a fun weekend trip. I purchased a Groupon Getaway for king bed room for two costing $74.43. While reminiscing on our stay, this price was a bit steep yet reasonable. Nonetheless, it is a short 10-minute drive to downtown Portland which has plenty of reasonably priced parking garages. For those who prefer public transportation, the Delta Park/Vanport Yellow MAX Lightrail Line Station is nearby with a Park N Ride lot ($5 for an unlimited ride day pass). Around the hotel are limited attractions other than the Delta Park Sports Complex and Portland Meadows Horse Race Track. There is also a Walmart, Lowe's, Dick's Sporting Goods, Guitar Center, Burger King, Elmer's Restaurant and Burrito House.

Check-in was friendly and brief. We received a code for the free wireless internet which was adequate in speed. The parking lot was plentiful, even after arriving in the evening. The complimentary breakfast was crowded but had a large array of choices: Flour quesadillas, diced potatoes, eggs, sausage, cereals, pastries, fruit, yogurts, pancake station. It did the trick to keep me full during a morning of Rose City exploration.

The room was a decent size. Similar to the lobby, it had been updated with modern Ikea-like furniture (bed frame, desk, entertainment center, dresser, chair), while the bathroom, kitchenette and hallways were forgotten about and remained stuck in the 1970's. The water pressure was excellent, so much that water would splash out onto the bathroom floor. The sink had old nail polish on the table top, which I could have done without. Otherwise, the room was very clean without finding any stray hairs or other nastiness.

We would stay here in the future with a good deal.

Green Features: Great breakfast selection and a card on the bed to skip a wash.
Hello Richie D,

Thank you so much for your stay at the Best Western Inn at the Meadows. We are so glad to hear that you liked many of the commodities that we offer. We are close to main roads so most places are around 10 minutes away from us, so we are glad that downtown wasn't a problem for you. We will definitely tell our front desk staff on how you appreciated our quick check in. We do have plenty of routers for the internet so our complimentary WiFi so we are happy it was good for you. Our breakfast staff will be really happy about your comments regarding the breakfast. They do their best to have a nice breakfast. We are also in the process of renovating our hotel so there are still a few parts that we will get to, such as the bathroom. Next time you;re here we hope to have the hotel completely renovated.

Nampa, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

During our stay the staff entered our room uninvited while we were sleeping. They never approached us about this matter, and we had to seek out answers. The manager never got involved. Would not stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Hello Chasity E

We are really sorry to have walked in on you. We were doing a vacant room check and we thought that the room was vacant. We do apologize for any inconveniences this may have caused and will be more careful next time.

University Place, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

Although the hotel wasn't in our favorite location, (we generally prefer to stay downtown), it was convenient for the business purpose of the visit. I especially liked that we were very close to the Maxx Light Rail line. It was very convenient as we went downtown each day while my daughter was doing some business networking. It's unfortunate that the hotel guide doesn't suggest any good restuarants near the hotel. Either they just aren't available or for some reason aren't listed. Our first evening we found one that sounded good, only to find out it was inside the airport! We weren't willing to pay extra for parking and were perturbed that information hadn't been offered. The location is very close to Portland Meadows so I can see it being a perfect place for horse track guests to stay. The staff was pleasant, rooms were nicely decorated and clean and we were satisfied with the amenities offered. The breakfast offered was predictably bland, but we still appreciate the convenience of a free breakfast before we began our day. I would recommend the hotel with the caveat that the location is less than glamorous, but still a comfortable and pleasant place to retire at the end of a busy day.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

BWPortland, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN Inn At The Meadows, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Hello Dana G,

I am so glad you had a great stay at our hotel. We love it when guests take the MAX Light Rail into downtown. Portland does have some bad traffic and taking the train bypasses all of this. I am sorry that no one let you know about our new website (www.bwportlandhotel.com) . On this site we list all the restaurants near by and all the great attractions in Portland. Thanks again for your stay and your kind words.

BEST WESTERN Inn at the Meadows staff
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

was the nicest hotel from top to bottom , clean, friendly staff, very helpful ,friendly. room was very nice, lots of space to move around, very quite, easy on and off from freeway, some shopping in area, and if horse racing fan horse track just a walk away

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Hello Robins419,

Thank you for your stay and your kind words. We always like you hear how good were doing (or bad). I will let the staff know what a great job they are doing. We pride ourselves on providing the best customer service and the cleanest rooms in all of Portland. We hope to see you next time you are in Portland.

Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

This hotel was decent enough and relatively clean. The location is a bit far from downtown and from anything else. The noise from the guests upstairs was incredibly loud, and in that regard, it felt like I was staying at a motel.

• Stayed March 2014
Hello Paul S,

Thank you for your stay. We are sorry for the inconvenience regarding the distance from certain places, however we do have a the Max station near the hotel which takes around 15 minutes to take you downtown. We are really sorry about the loud noise. We do take noise issues really serious. We will let the front desk know about it so we can take care of it next time there is a lot of noise.

Woodinville, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

Overall, this hotel was great! I found a Groupon for my stay, which brought my nightly rate down to $75 - my boyfriend and I booked a single room with a King bed. Check-in was simple, though I wish that at some point I'd been warned that the hotel would be placing a $50.00 deposit on my card; I'd been told to bring a card, but wasn't aware of a charge (I'm a student, or maybe $50.00 wouldn't have anything to note), but even that wasn't a problem.

The lobby of the hotel is modern, bright with updated furnishings. You can tell once inside the elevator and hallways that this hotel is dated, likely from the 80's, if not older. But, it's been well maintained, and as soon as you enter your room, it's more modern decor - deep grays, clean whites, nice furniture and a flat screen with cable. There was a counter than run alongside the bed with a sink and mini-fridge, which wound up being way more handy than I'd originally anticipated. My boyfriend and I agree that this hotel was really nice for what we needed, which was just an extended weekend stay. My only complaint was that the A/C unit never seemed to fully turn on; it instead was on a timer, and went off every 30 minutes or so. I can't sleep without a fan on (I should have packed one), so I usually crank the AC unit, but this one just woke me up intermittently instead.

The hotel sits right off I-5, and is the perfect distance away from downtown. It never took us more than 15 minutes to drive wherever we needed to go, and it was really nice to have somewhere quiet to return to when it was time for bed. The continental breakfast was ample - lots of carbs, but there was fresh fruit, sausage, coffee, and yogurt as well; more choices than I had expected! Check-out took literally 30 seconds; they asked for my name, I returned my room keys to them, and that was that.

However, I checked out yesterday and I still haven't received my $50.00 deposit back (I know this may not be the fault of the hotel, but it's worth nothing just for those who may be on a tighter budget). Overall, GREAT experience, would definitely stay again!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
BWPortland, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN Inn At The Meadows, responded to this review, September 11, 2014
Hi Jordan,

Hello, we are glad to see you enjoyed your stay and the hotel was more than what you had expected! We have gone through recent renovations and are in the process of having more updates done to the hotel. One of them is replacing the A/C units which are a lot more silent and can stay on as long as our guests need them to. I agree we are within distance to many great attractions, some just a few miles away. It’s good to see you enjoyed our free hot full breakfast, and also good to see check out was quick and simple for you. Regarding the incidentals authorization, we release it at midnight the day you check out, however most banks take 3-5 business days to fully return the funds. Calling the bank can expedite this process. Hope to see you again soon!

Been to BEST WESTERN Inn At The Meadows? Share your experiences!