“Close to the MAX...friendly front desk staff” 3 of 5 stars

Save up to 20%
Ranked #35 of 133 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Corvallis, Oregon
“Close to the MAX...friendly front desk staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Check in process was smooth. We had 4 gift cards of varying amounts and she didn't flinch and ran them all thru and then gave us a print out to show they have all been redeemed. The 2 nights ended up costing us less than $25 with the gift cards we had. And we were able to get directions to where we needed no issue.

There was ample parking. And it was just short walk to the MAX station which got us quickly into downtown and to the Rose Garden. And we did enjoy the hot tub 1 night.

The issues are that we when arrived there was a conversation going on at the front desk with 2 other employees that should have been not in a customer area. It was a bit loud and distracting and they were talking about other employees, in some detail. Painting was going on in the lobby when we arrived which was during a busy time right at check in time for most.

Also, breakfast was a bit of a disappointment. The breakfast room was completely packed at 8 am and the food supply was quite low. We grabbed a few things and then brought it back to the room. Then we went down at just before they closed and found some yogurt and a banana. Day 2 we didn't bother with breakfast, but when we checked out (after breakfast ended) the room was still pretty full.

Also, this hotel seems pretty dated in the hallways. The carpeting doesn't really match as you walk down the hall. The bedroom area looks like it was recently updated but the bathrooms were out of the 80's. Although the bathroom had been painted an orangish color, the paint had gotten on the outlets and elsewhere, so it wasn't done well.

It’s not in an area of Portland I normally stay, so I would really only stay here, if I needed to be in this specific area again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
BWPortland, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN Inn At The Meadows, responded to this review, April 14, 2013
Hello Plaidbagel,

I am glad that you enjoyed the hotel and the hot tub. That is great that the room cost you so little after using the gift cards. Gotta love a good deal. We are moving our breakfast into our meeting room as well as the normal room so there should be no more congestion issues.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Surrey, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

When we got to our room it smelled quite strongly of vinegar, espeacialy in the washroom. The overall room was great it had a nice TV and everyhing else you would expect from a Best Western.I have to say I was the least impressed with the washrooms. Unlike most Best Western's, there were no complimentry toiletries which was fine because in the shower there was a soap dispenser with shampoo ,conditioner and shower gel, However, when i went to have a shower that night there was no shampo and i was like if you don't want to have individual toiletries fine but at least refill for each guest, however, there was conditioner but the shower gel smelled like mens care and it stunk . breakfast had very litte selection and what was there wasn't anything to write home about. the pancake maker was empty when i tried to use it and when the lady refilled it the pancake tasted like rubber. The check in/out process was very quick, and for our one night stay it was OK.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
BWPortland, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN Inn At The Meadows, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear FamilyR0adTrip5,

We are glad you enjoyed our Samsung TV! For the bathrooms, we apologize if there was no shampoo in the dispenser. We will notify all personal related to the situation. One of our methods we use to be eco-friendly is by using Shampoo Dispensers which we were told eliminates 1000s of plastic bottles in local landfills. The liquids we use have natural and organic ingredients and do not contain any synthetic fragrances. We are displeased to hear, that you did not enjoy our new Pancake machine. We have been getting great reviews about the machine but will definitely test out the pancakes after the inputting new batter. For everyone, we try our best to have a healthy, nice variety of food options in our Breakfast and are always looking into ways of improving. Next time when in Portland, OR we hope you give us another try and are glad the check in/out process was a smooth process.
Sacramento, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

My recent stay at Best Western Inn at the Meadows has been one of the worst travel experiences of my life. I was falsely, and unlawfully charged a $500 smoking despite the fact that smoking did not occur in the room. The management is sticking to this claim, bolstering it on each occasion, that his opinion is firm, the smell was verified by several staff. However, this cannot be the case as I DID NOT SMOKE IN THE ROOM. He is basing this solely on discriminatory opinion and bias. My credit card was initially charged $500, that charged was reversed soon after, a subsequent charge of $352.68 was made, the charge was then voided and my card was again unlawfully charged $500. This is a blatant attempt to steal my money. I fully comprehended the non-smoking policy, and I was well aware of the fees associated with violation of this policy. Also, having worked in Property Management for several years, and being a non-smoker myself, I completely understand and agree with this policy. upon check in on 3/22/13 I checked-in to the hotel directly off of a flight from Hawaii. I was only physically in the room for approximately eleven hours total before exiting the property for over 24 hours at around 11:00am on the 3/23/13. I left Portland for the night to continue my vacation and upon return around 10:30pm the following night I noticed neither of my door keys worked. I proceeded to the front desk, showed my identification and returned to my room to rest after a very long day. The front desk then proceeded to call my room near midnight, demanding I come down to discuss something. In all of my years of staying at hotels dispute, issue, or whatever the situation I have never been instructed to get out of bed at midnight, put on my clothing, and engage in dialogue with the front desk clerks, not even management, to settle a matter.When I arrived at the front desk I was greeted by a very rude and unprofessional employee that was not previously at the desk when I was there earlier, (fixing my keys that coincidentally had been deactivated). This employee proceeded to shove a paper across the desk at me instructing me to sign a $500 “smoking fee.” I immediately disputed this! It was past midnight, I had no idea what was going on, this is the first I've ever heard of such a thing, I had not smoked in the room or even been there for 24 hours for that matter. They have no evidence irrefutable, conclusive, or otherwise that smoking occurred in the room. Furthermore, I was not provided with proof that services for a room recovery were actually completed by your hotel. In addition to this, and with regards to business practices and financial institutions, although you made a pre-compliant charge, it was not authorized or validated by me. They need my signature to validate a charge and I need proof that a violation has or had occurred and proof that services were rendered (which was not provided.) When I got pissed and refused to pay and called the manager out of trying to steal my money he increased the fee from $362.68 to $500! This was was unauthorized and charged solely because he didn’t like what I had to say to him. I’m sorry I do not take kindly to people trying to steal from me. The manager would not provide me with any contact information for anyone besides himself and said I had no recourse, it was his opinion I had smoked therefore I was paying the fee. After doing some research, I found this is common practice by lesser quality hotels who are in the business of scamming their guests. Perhaps the housekeepers were expecting a tip? Or they have gotten away with this type of scam in the past and unfortunately no one disputed their shady business practices? Whatever the case, I am in no way paying any $500 smoking fee charged to my account by the Best Western Inn at the Meadows, for the simple fact that no one smoked in the room. Each establishment is independently owned, however, Best Western Inn at the Meadows is a horrible example of what a customer service oriented business should be. I sincerely hope my experience wasn’t indicative of how you treat all of your guests. If so, I suggest Best Western Inn at the Meadows rethink their business strategy, as they are in the market of treating your guests fairly, courteously, and with respect. Having worked both in the customer service industry and management, along with traveling frequently, I am still having trouble conveying to you how astounded I am by the unprofessional treatment by those working at Best Western Inn at the Meadows.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
BWPortland, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN Inn At The Meadows, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear Brandi M,

The General Manager has been in contact with you regarding this situation and hopefully everything works out.
Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Exactly what you would expect from a Best Western. Clean room, quick check-in and check-out. Unfortunately you would have to drive to find a more upbeat restaurant although the food next door was acceptable.

Dear Gregoirepierre,

That’s fantastic to hear! We try to keep our rooms very clean to make your stay as enjoyable as possible, and try to be efficient for your needs. Within walking distance we do have Elmers, Burger King, Shari’s, Mars Meadows, and the Burrito House. One of the things the city of Portland is known for is for its restaurants. We are close to Alberta street, which does have many nice restaurants!
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I have stayed in Best Westerns and this has to be one of the best run of the brand I have been in to date. The room was nice, the check-in process was efficient, they had my room key and information printed out and waiting when I arrived at the hotel even though I arrived about an hour earlier than the "normal" check in time.

The breakfast was better than I see at most places that advertise free breakfast with your stay. It included scrambled eggs, pancakes, sausage, home fries potatoes and oatmeal on the hot side with the normal assortment of breakfast cereals and yogurts. There was also fresh fruit available with the oranges already cut into thick slices.

I strongly recommend this location.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Dear Ebruce7347,

Thank you so much for your excellent review!!! We try our best to make sure all Guest feel welcomed and try to help everyone have a great relaxing stay in Portland, OR. One way is to make sure you get the room you prefer, and if the room is available before guaranteed check-in time, to allow early check-ins with no charge. We try our best to have a great healthy breakfast. Again, thank you for your kind comments and your recommendation! We hope to see you soon!
Aztec,NM
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I lost the paper with the names of the two guys that helped us. Andrew(?) checked us in and helped us with a priority mail box. Chad(?) checked us out the next day. BOTH of these guys were VERY freindly and courteous!!!! However, if you like to be treated lower than dirt, have Joe help you!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
BWPortland, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN Inn At The Meadows, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Hello DougClow

Thank you for your kind comments. Hearing any great comments about our Team, motivates and puts a smile on our face. :) We will notify all Front Staff to make sure all communication is clear.
Bellevue, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Very nice place to stay in Portland for a short time.Easy to reach just next to I5 North of downtown. Clean and confortable rooms. Recently renovated and at a very good price. The breakfast was good too. The front desk guys were very helpful and the check-in/check-out process was streamlined.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
BWPortland, Guest Services Agent at BEST WESTERN Inn At The Meadows, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Hello

Thank you for your stays. It is a pleasure to have you as a loyal guest and we look forward to seeing you again. We are very happy to see that you enjoy your stays and that our accommodations meet your needs. See you soon!

Been to BEST WESTERN Inn At The Meadows? Share your experiences!