“Quiet, convenient, friendly” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Kailua, United States
“Quiet, convenient, friendly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

The Pony Soldier Inn is one of those airport hotels that is always busy, carefully appointed with a bit of sophistication, with a staff that works efficiently and professionally. Although a bit pricier than most BWs, this one is definitely worth it for the 6 min. courtesy shuttle ride to the airport and the lovely courtyard pool and Jacuzzi.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
SoCal
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

When we looked for this hotel in early July, our criteria was close to the Portland airport, non-smoking hotel and reasonably priced. It is definitely close to the airport (within 5 minutes), and the price was . . . ok. However, this is listed as a non-smoking hotel. It may be now, but it is clear the moment you walk in the lobby that smoking used to be allowed - it smelled of stale smoke in the lobby, halls and dining area. The room did not smell of smoke, but it had a highly chemical smell to it (maybe to mask the smoke odor). When we checked in, the front desk staff was taking a call from a guest requesting an ionizer for their room (so it appears it wasn't just our room that smelled weird).

As for the other amenities - the lobby, guest room and breakfast area were all very dated. The breakfast was average at best (not bad, not good - i.e., the "fresh fruit" was a fruit salad with some fresh fruit and some frozen fruit - yes, it was still frozen when we bit into it). The airplanes could be heard from our room (which was to be expected), but we didn't hear much noise from other guest rooms.

I am very sensitive to smoke, so this hotel was not the right place for me. Also, the amenities were nothing great. Since there are plenty of other hotels near the Portland airport, I would recommend trying somewhere else.

Room Tip: If smoking bothers you, do not come to this hotel.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Barrington, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Very close to the airport across the street from a gas station for fill up before rental car return. The room was very nice and it was exceeded in quality by the friendly and helpful staff. Internet is free but a little slow. Breqkfast is standard BW fare and very adequate for our needs. Could use a little better location for the public computer, it is in the lobby with your back to the main room--privacy is the concern when doing airport check ins.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Alberta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

I think I may have stayed in the same room as Dale K, because our fridge didn't work either, and our room looked out on a mobile home park. I know we were put in the back because we are smokers, but I was happy that they had such a great room where we could actually smoke!

The king sized bed was very comfortable, and I really liked that they didn't have night tables, but a counter all the way along the back of the bed. They also had a dimmer switch above the bed if you wanted any ambiance. There was a huge tv, and a desk where they had a plug in to charge several devices at once. There was also the aforementioned fridge that didn't work, free wifi, and coffee service. I really liked the recliner in the room, as I like to read in a chair, not in bed.

The air conditioning worked well...perhaps too well. My husband got up in the middle of the night to shut it off because it was too cold. We chose this hotel for it's proximity to friends that we were visiting, so we didn't have any experience with the airport shuttle. The pool and hot tub were nice, and there was ice and vending machines on both floors. We were driving, not flying, so we appreciated the location for being able to get on the 205 with no trouble, and it was also very close to I-84. There was a restaurant next door, but with free breakfast at the hotel, and dinner with our friends, we didn't use it. The breakfast was good and filling, and I noticed that on our two mornings there they switched up the eggs and meat dishes. They also had the basic waffles, cereal, yogurt, muffins and bagels. The coffee station was available all the time, and while it was nice, they put the creamers away after breakfast, so you had to use the powdered stuff afterwards.

The staff was extremely nice and helpful, especially Dee. She checked us in, joked around with us, greeted us each time we came in, and gave us directions to outlet shopping.

Being that my friend lives very close to this hotel, I'm sure I'll stay here again. With all the amenities, location and extremely reasonable rates, it's pretty close to a perfect hotel for us.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

My mom and I stayed here on two separate nights, flying into and out of Portland. Our first stay we arrived around 11:30 p.m. to a cheerful and prompt check-in. The door was busted and the lock didn’t work, but we were quickly moved to another room with no problem, very quiet on the non-street side and we got a good night’s sleep in the comfy beds. The breakfast was good and lots of selection, however set up very poorly as there is no room for people to move around and it’s very unorganized and hard to form a line. The breakfast attendant seemed overworked and needed a bit of help to keep up with everything. We were told at check-in that breakfast didn’t start until 8 so we waited even though we’re early risers…only to find out it really started at 6. No biggie, but would’ve liked to get on the road sooner and just wanted a quick bite to eat. Our second night was an earlier arrival and we heard the desk clerk telling a customer they were at capacity and unable to move anyone to a different room. We had booked our room 6 months in advance, requesting 2 queens. We were given a suite and when we walked in there was only one king. I went back to the desk to ask and of course couldn’t be moved, but was assured there was a hide-a-bed in the couch. Ugh! Not something you want to hear after traveling 5+ hours by car from southern Oregon. Also, if they try to put you in the corner suite ask to be moved…there was so much traffic on Sandy Blvd and the on-ramp to the I-5, that I barely slept. I understand if a hotel is overbooked you won’t always get the room you want (I have worked in the hotel industry), however we booked 6 months out and felt we should’ve been given somewhat of a priority. The pool and hot tub area were nice and relaxing. Everything would’ve been great except for the room we were given the last night. I think they tried to make up for the bed situation by giving us a suite. Not a bad place to stay all in all though, especially if you have a 6 a.m. flight like we did…literally 5 minutes from the airport.

Room Tip: Make sure you are away from I-5 and Sandy Blvd as much as possible! Lots of traffic noise!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Employees completely negative, from complaining about the owner to someone calling for information. Not to each other but to me as a paying guest. Used stay, park, fly. What a joke. Other hotels made 2-3 pick ups while waiting for our shuttle. 20 min after calling hotel for pick up. Called a second time. Was told we didn't know when to pick up. Really why did you ask if I had already got my bags? Were you listening when I said yes? Not a happy customer. Would definitely not recomend

• Stayed June 2013
Orem, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

This was my first stay here and I have mixed feelings. The check-in process was excellent and the young man was very friendly and courteous also. The room was large and clean. It had a nice flat screen TV, good internet service, a coffee pot, microwave and a frig. The frig didn't work but that was OK with me. The A/C unit worked well. The daily room clean-up was very good. I really enjoyed the breakfast and the lady handling it took good care of us. A variety of meats, eggs, waffles, fruits, etc. All that I needed. And for the other meals there's a good restaurant right next door. My only negative comments about this place is I was given a room on the back side of the building. My view was of a very trashy trailer park. It looked like folks one step above being homeless lived there. There wasn't a trailer less than 20 years old in there along with many home made sheds that appeared to be being lived. I'm really surprised the city allows those conditions. I'm just glad I was on the 2nd floor as if I was on the 1st floor I would have felt very uncomfortable. The other thing is this hotel is very close to a very active train track. As in 24/7 and there must be a crossing near by as all of the trains are using their very loud horns. It was a nice cool time of the summer and it would have been nice to sleep with the windows open and have some fresh air but the trains wouldn't allow that.
I'll be coming back here but I'll request a room with a pool view. The one's on the 1st floor have a sliding glass door and a little patio with a couple of chairs. The rooms on the 2nd floor have a small balcony with a couple of chairs. One of those rooms would have been perfect.

Room Tip: Get A Room With a Pool View
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to BEST WESTERN Pony Soldier Inn - Airport? Share your experiences!