“Should be renamed Suck Suck.” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Late Night, Dessert
Newyork
“Should be renamed Suck Suck.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Do you like mediocre semi authentic food?, this guy has a monopoly of semi-par thai restaurants on divison street in portland, OR. let me run down the line, Whiskey soda lounge, over priced. nobody pay's 9 dollars for a jigger of bullet in a broke area of portland. pok pok, over priced decent food but not worth the wait, not to mention there are 5 thai places within a 1/2 mile.
if you like to pretend you are slumm'n it in S.E. portland for outrageous prices then this is your kind of joint. I must say the wings are delectable but other then that, this place is clown shoes to fit the owners over active ego.

Zero stars.

• Visited June 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Fort Wayne, Indiana
“over-rated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Having read the superlative reviews, naturally expectations were high. We got there on a Friday around 1:35 PM. We were told the wait for five people was 20-25 minutes. About 40 minutes later, after people who came after us were seated, we asked how much longer it might be. We had 3 very hungry and hot kids. It seemed we had been forgotten. The maitre d' quickly said, "I'll just add one more chair." No apologies. We were seated inside where there were multiple empty tables. So I have to conclude that this is not an efficient operation. Wait staff, although very nice, seemed harried and doubled as bartenders, taking orders and mixing drinks. There is also a section of the restaurant that is accessed through a completely separate, outside entrance--- stairs leading up to a second floor. This may seem charming, but again was understaffed and inefficient. There is no reason for this kind of budget crunch in a restaurant of this reputation.

Is there? I mean, was the food worth it?

The food was "Asian fusion" with a Thai base. Thai food is not rocket science. Many, many restaurants are very good at it. The legendary chicken wings were good but not transcendent. They were good wings with a fish sauce base, with a caramelized coating that had a hard crunch. The papaya salad ("spicy," though pretty mild by Thai standards) was good but again, routine. The Thai beef salad had a different and pleasant sprinkle of corn meal for crunch and texture. The clear noodle salad was a little overdressed and soupy. And the pork spare ribs were similar to Chinese cha shao style ribs with tender meat and a smokey, sweet flavor. Again--- good, but nothing special. Thousands of Chinese barbecue places do this better.

There were many beautiful young people, trendy patrons. Tellingly, there were few Asians. Perhaps it's a great place to be seen or to say you enjoyed, but it isn't a place for people who are looking for special Asian food. The caliber is not there. It isn't good enough. Something is lacking. And having to pay extra for rice, given the small portions, is something of a joke. Fun's over--- now find a real Thai restaurant.

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Seattle, Washington
“Second Visit Rocked with a Group”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

On my second visit to this destination restaurant with a group of eight friends the experience really showed me the true depth of the menu and level of service. Our reservation was a little delayed so we were sent across the street to the sister operation - The Whiskey Bar (that is another review). Once we were called back to the restaurant we were brought to a side dining room for a relatively pleasant experience. Our server was very knowledgeable about the menu and Thai culinary culture. Impressive since I have spent time in Thailand.

Our group ate family-style and went a little heavy on pork (including boar) but included duck, chicken, fish and prawns. Three different types of rice were floating around the table as well as a few noodles to round it out. We didn't starve and didn't finish everything as we ate very well a rather diverse assortment of foods. Some party members were a little surprised by the spiciness of the chilies but were not that familiar with real Thai cuisine. Well, now they know! From what we knew we wanted and from what the server chose for us the meal was a great experience and a memorable one.

I highly recommend ordering one of the savory drinking vinegars just for the experience. I have had tamarind and celery (separate options) caught my attention and those at the table as I shared. It's something different and DELICIOUS!

I do have to call out to the kitchen staff for having a good production line to execute great food in a rather busy restaurant. We didn't feel neglected by the service team or the kitchen with the food. This place rocks on a Saturday night. Good job, folks!

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
wisconsin
“Very very good food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Ive eaten here twice now and the food is never disappointing. For around $10 you get a small-plate-sized portion of some delicious thia food. Not the ordinary but the extraordinary. Now, ive heard there is limited menu at lunch and this only applies to my dinner experiences. My friends treated ourselves and had great times. Only complaint was the 45 minute wait time. The Prok belly and steak lettuce wraps here mym favorites. Every talks about the wings, which were good, but they werent my favorite part of the meal. Go exotic, best to go with a bunch of people and all share.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
delta
“Very SALTY wings”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

No doubt it is a very cozy and nice decor Thai restaurant. My husband and I ordered the bbq ribs/fish sauce wings & a curry base noodles with beef. The soup base was good, just the portion was on a small size. We saw the very attractive wings next table ordered, so we wanted to give it a try as well. When the wings came, they were huge. However, when we both had the first bite, they were extremely salty outside with very strong garlicy taste, and the inside was tasteless. The bbq ribs was very dry and not worth the 12 bucks.

• Visited October 2012