“Amazing!” 5 of 5 stars

(503) 546-8796
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Le Pigeon is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 3,621 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American, French, International
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 8th Avenue
Transit: #12 and #20 buses.
Montreal, Canada
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Had a great meal at Le Pigeon. Shared two appetizers, the blue cheese salad and pork belly. Both were delicious, especially the pork belly. For the main, shared the beef cheeks bourguignon. This might have been one of the best dishes I have ever had. Served with potatoes and gruyere and onions, it was delicious. And plenty for two people, we even took home leftovers. The restaurant was small, sat at table with 4 other people, so it was hard not to listen to everyones conversations. Overall, it was a great meal and I would definitely go back.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“A significant step above the rest”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

A friend had recommended this place when he found out I was going to be in Portland for a few days. He said it was a "must not miss" and he was definitely right!

I was lucky to get a reservation without much advance notice, and was offered a seat at the bar overlooking the kitchen. This was a treat as I was able to ask the Chef himself what was the best choices based on what was on the menu that day (check the menu regularly as dishes change based on what is fresh and available). I would suggest this spot is best for solo diners, as it is much easier to find a single seat even on a busy night and at the same it allows you to see plates going out of the kitchen, letting you figure out what you may want to get.

The staff was very attentive and helpful with things such as the wine list selection, and suggestions in relation to the time it would take to prepare and serve each dish.

My choices were a Grilled Porkbelly with greens as the appetizer, and Sweetbreads with boar ragu pasta for the main, which were both absolutely delicious. Since I had asked about another plate on the menu when placing my order, the Chef made it a point to set aside a small plate to let me try it when he put out the next order of the Gnochi - That is attention to detail!

I decided to pass on the dessert, but I could not help but hear the group next to me on the left, as well as the woman to my right complimenting the Chef on their sweet selection.

The atmosphere is great in this little cozy place, with subtle lighting, relaxed attitude and awesome music (the music playing that night was particularly appealing to me with late nineties-early 2000's lounge sounds). Parking can be found right in front of the restaurant if you are lucky, or around the block if not, but this should not be a problem.

If you want to stay within a budget, you still have some menu choices and wines by the glass to fit the bill. I was able to get out of there without going over my spend goal of 60 bucks including the tip, and you can definitely do better than that, or go all the way and spend about 100 on your own!

“Great Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

Called for a reservation with no luck. A very pleasant person suggested that we come over and would most likely get a seat at the counter over lookieng the chief at work. When we arrived we where able to get a table. The table was fine, sitting at the counter may have been more fun.
The food was great. The service was over the top.

San Diego, California
“Chef Gabriel busy in the kitchen at LePigeon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

While visiting Portland during a break from an Archaeology project we dined at LePigeon in the Burnside district…crispy lamb w/ Foie gras, Rabbit Spanakopita, Crab with Chorizo, with a bottle of Willamette Valley Pinot Noir. Amazing. Chef Gabriel Rucker was at the helm and busy as heck...but still came to our table and chatted us up. desert was profiteroles to die for. Since we walked there from the Hilton it was only a short stroll over the Burnside Bridge to get back. Completely satiated from our fantastic meal we bypassed “Voodoo Doughnuts”, homeless shelters, shanties, and throngs of hipsters exploring food carts along the way.

• Visited August 2012
Corvallis
“Wow!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

This was delicious and full of unique flavors. We sat at the bar and got to watch the chefs prepare the food. They were great about talking to us and explaining what they were doing and making. All the dishes were incredible. The atmosphere is quant and cozy. I know why everyone raves about this restaurant. Can't wait to bring my family here!!!