“Wow!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Gilt Club

The Gilt Club
306 NW Broadway, Portland, OR 97209 (Pearl)
(503) 222-4458
Cross street: Everett
Medford, Oregon, United States
“Wow!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

Incredible place.... Original with fantastic culinary imagination. Great atmosphere. From the TV in the mirror to the vinyl playing in the bathroom. Very nicely done. Very romantic place to bring your special person...

78% Recommend
Portland, Oregon
“Fantastic Surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2012

I don't know what took me so long to go here - maybe the name or the location? But wow, what an amazing menu. This is one of those places where I wanted to order everything (except the poutine) so I had trouble deciding. Anyway, their poutine may actually be good; it's certainly not the standard recipe.

One of the most amazing discoveries for me at the Gilt Club was an appetizer: the fried oysters, with morcilla, fried egg, latke, and bacon. I thought I had died and gone to heaven. The separate components were all perfectly prepared and came together to create a kind of culinary masterpiece.

We also ordered the Quail in a jar, which sounds strange, but is outrageously delicious. The sturgeon was also very nicely done. If I hadn't been so enamored of the quail, I might have paid more attention to it.

The portions are generous, the prices very reasonable.

The Gilt Club is best for adventurous eaters, people who aren't afraid to order, rabbit, elk, lamb kidneys, bone marrow and other unusual fare. It's not just for show though; they really do an excellent job. You can order more mainstream things here, but the unusual variety and their ability to present it at its finest is what makes the Gilt Club so special.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“Don't Go When the Sous Chef is in Charge”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012 via mobile

Gilt Club is my favorite restaurant in PDX, but unfortunately our last visit in late December was a real downer. In the hands of Chris C, the food at GC is amazing, but he was away that night and the food was a sad mess. The cassoulet was dry and the venison was overcooked and tough. The quail in the jar was greasy and again overcooked unlike our past experiences with that dish.

Even the normally sterling service was lacking. Our waitress was distracted and listless and the restaurant seemed more focused on the big table with the owner and his family than the rest of the customers.

Our meal was such a turnoff that night for us and our 2 out of town guests, we have been reluctant to return since. We will at some point, but only in CC is in the kitchen maintaining his high standards.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Portland
“The World's Greatest French Fries”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

These fries would be great without anything on them - crunchy on the outside, tender inside, tasty throughout - but then they add a foie gras gravy, seared foie gras, caramelized onion, and a perfect cheese. Man, I loved fries and gravy when I was a kid, but The Gilt Club's Poutine fries beat those by ten miles - and that's just for starters. My wife and I loved every bite of every dish. I'd give this place seven stars if I could.

Klamath Falls, Oregon
“worth checking out”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

Great dinner. The main dinner menu is limited, but the food was excellent, and surprisingly large portions for the cost. Interesting house drinks as well. An enjoyable dinner!

• Visited January 2012