“Clean, comfortable and charming” 4 of 5 stars
Review of A Painted Lady Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
A Painted Lady Inn
Save Saved
You added A Painted Lady Inn to your Saves list
1927 NE 16th Ave, Portland, OR 97212   |
Ranked #13 of 39 Portland B&B and Inns
Bloomington, Illinois
“Clean, comfortable and charming”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

We stayed here in mid-December while visiting family and friends in Portland and were the only guests. The Painted Lady is close to shops, coffeehouses, bookstores and transportation. The house itself was cozy and tastefully decorated. The room itself was inviting (if somewhat chilly), the bed was warm and very comfortable, and the breakfast delicious. We stayed in the only room on the first floor which had a private bath just outside of the room. If staying again, we would choose one of the three upstairs rooms since the downstairs room was above where the owners lived and was somewhat noisy during the day (for our afternoon nap) which was unavoidable and certainly no fault of the owners. All in all this was a great place to stay for our short trip and would definitely consider for future visits.

Room Tip: Choose the downstairs room for more privacy.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Olympia, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I just spend three nights at A Painted Lady in the beautiful Irvington Neighborhood in Portland. I chose to stay in the cottage rather than in the house, because I enjoy that sort of setting. I had complete privacy, and couldn't have been happier with the cottage itself. It was truly charming. Jody was the ideal host, making me feel welcome without being intrusive.

Since the cottage has a kitchen I had my own breakfast and didn't eat in the house, so I can't comment on that aspect. My overall experience was completely positive, however, and I highly recommend A Painted Lady.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet, private, cozy, well-appointed space, you can't beat the cottage.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

I booked a room for a few days at A Painted Lady on the recommendation of a friend who has stayed here multiple times over the years when she visits her brother who lives nearby. Jody has done a wonderful job renovating and furnishing this lovely old Victorian. I was fortunate to come in the spring when the lilac was in full bloom, which was a treat to see (and smell!) from the front porch swing. The common areas downstairs are beautifully furnished, and there are cozy places to curl up with a good book. There is very easy access to downtown and Northwest Portland via public transport. Check out nearby Milo's Cafe for tasty fare, Twisted (a fun yarn shop) and Broadway Books (wonderful independent bookstore with friendly staff), all within easy walking distance of A Painted Lady. Breakfast was delicious (the eggs were my favorite), and a couple of mornings I found that I had stayed and chatted with Jody and the other guests for well over an hour! (My intention is usually to eat and head out, but I totally lost track of time). We stayed upstairs in The Master, which had a very comfortable bed and a sitting area, enough room to visit with our son and daughter-in-law who live nearby. Highly recommended!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

This is my second stay at A Painted Lady and I enjoyed it even more the second time. I now consider this my home away from home while in Portland. The accommodations are cozy and comfortable, the house solid, warm, and charming. And Jody, our hostess, is wonderful and fun, a true original.

I love the charm of this old place (love the porch swing; one of my favorite places!) and as a bonus, it sits smack dab in the midst of one of the most vibrant, beautiful, user-friendly neighborhoods in a city that has its share of these. Give it a try! You won't be sorrry.

Room Tip: If you don't mind a bathroom down the hall, the master is a great room at the top of the house...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Sisters, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

We found and stayed at this B&B with a Groupon. Breakfast was an additional $15 so we opted to eat out. We had the Cottage (renovated garage) so we never went into the house and only saw the owner when we picked up the key. If you stay at a B&B because of the personal interaction with the owner and other guests, this is probably not for you.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Spokane, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I enjoy staying in B&B's having stayed in them all over USA. I do my homework before hand and before making a reservation. They all come in different flavors. Admittingly, some folks just aren't cut out for trying and staying in B&B's and should stick to usual routines.

A nice experience.. in NE Portland( minutes to downtown Portland by car or rail , bus) within walking distance to great food, nice neighborhoods with older homes and shopping (on Broadway Ave ) in this particular area.

This is an Old Victorian home lovingly re-done over the last 12 years. And as all homeowners agree ,always a work in progress. I enjoyed her antiques, you can tell she knows her stuff. There are several bedroom types, some with a shared bath... one with a half bath but need to use the shower down the hall. A cottage out back with full bathroom, kitchen... nice if you stay for a few days., Check the website. You can see the options Pleasant owner. Would return.

Room Tip: The Master is nice and large.... and natural light makes it brighter than a couple of the other room...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

This inn is unsatisfactory in terms of cleanliness, hospitality, quality of rooms/bathrooms, and basic necessities. In one of the bedrooms we rented there was no inside door knob which meant if you closed the door, you could not open to get out. Fortunately, there was a rope ladder for window exit. Our upstairs "suite" had no heat nor extra blankets. Regarding basic expectations, towels were piled in the stairwell and appeared to not have been used for ages - stiff and dusty; no bath mat, dirt everywhere - shower, base boards, lace curtains, lamp shades, windows and likely mold in shower, etc. However, on the guest bath sink was a a dried out container of Lysol wipes that I suppose were meant to be used for us to clean the bathroom prior to bathing! The bathroom drawer contained all sorts of used toiletries from various hotels, including used soaps. There were 2 hair dryers, neither of which worked. Carpets were stained. No cups or glasses in the bathroom so had to use your hands to take medication or brush teeth. I was told I could make some coffee in the morning if I wanted since we were not paying extra for breakfast. Could she not have been up by 8 to make a pot of coffee? In the one bath the exhaust fan was so full of dirt and dust that it could in no way have been effective. Mirrors were smudged and dusty. There are 2 1/2 bathrooms in the guest part of the house with 5 rooms (this includes one bathroom with shower and downstairs bath with one claw foot tub with a nozzle the size of a penny and no shower option in the tub.) For the 4 rooms upstairs, there are 1.5 baths with a shared shower. If one selects the downstairs bedroom, you are stuck with only a claw foot tub with no shower option. The neighborhood around this place is full of dilapidated old Victorian homes. The website says the inn location is "minutes" from the Pearl District. In actuality it is a 10-15 minute drive across the bridge (and longer with traffic). To say this was a disappointment is a HUGE understatement. This place was totally AWFUL and UNACCEPTABLE.
Finally in order to confirm this reservation it took me several unreturned phone calls and several unanswered emails.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
apaintedladyinn, Owner at A Painted Lady Inn, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
This review is rediculous! I bent over backwards to accomodate all of this women's special needs! First of all she purchased a Groupon which is a 75% discount on a two night stay, but instead of two consecutive nights she wanted two rooms on the same night which I graciously accommodated! Her reservation request was confirmed the same day she made it and although we did play phone tag about changing the reservation to two rooms on the same night, her accusations about customer service and the house being clean are rediculous! Breakfast was a$15 upgrade which she did not want to pay , but I agreed and set the table for them to have coffee in the morning for no charge and yet she complains I didnt serve it for them! She called to say they would arrive 5hrs late for her checkin time so we aggreed I would leave a key since I had dinner plans that evening and I checked in with them when I returned home to ask if they needed anything, they thanked me and said they were fine and then write this review. By the way there is a heater, extra blankets and a doornob on the inside of the room so you dont have to go out the window on the emergency ladder! They were the only guests in the house and complain about sharing a bath. The tile in the shower was regrouted six months ago and the hairdryers work fine and by the way the house is located in Irvington historical neighborhood, one of the most beautiful areas of Portland and it takes 15min to walk to the Pearl just across the Broadway bridge, only 5-10 to drive. Note to self, no more Groupons....its not worth having to address this kind of review!

Been to A Painted Lady Inn? Share your experiences!