“Lovely Place to stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of A Painted Lady Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Prices are for rooms, adults
Ranked #15 of 40 Portland B&B and Inns
Yakima, WA
“Lovely Place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Lovely and quaint. Offering several options from the cozy den to a separate guest house. Very convenient to transportation options to the city. We stayed in the den. It had a small gas fireplace, small sofa, and queen sized bed which was very comfortable. The bathroom, with a claw tub, was just down the hall. Jody, our hostess, prepared delicious egg hollandaise for breakfast served with basil and dried tomatoes.

Room Tip: Rooms upstairs are larger, particularly the Master. Their bath does ave a shower, but if a soak in a...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

30 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Corona, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

I visited this bed & breakfast in April for Admissions day with my daughter. Our stay was pleasantly welcoming, clean, private, & very comfortable! Myself & my 2 teenage daughters stood in the cottage. The breakfast was healthy & well portioned. My teenagers as well as I were elated to know we had free wifi as I needed to connect with my employer & they their social sites. I will definitely stay again but only in the cottage!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Kauai
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

We were referred to The Painted Lady by another BB which did not have rooms
available. We called owner and she was very helpful and said she had a room
available for four people.

The room was not a room but the remodeled attic, extremely hot without
proper ventilation - also impossible to stand up straight due to low
ceilings. We shared the bathroom with other rooms. The shower floor linoleum
had been painted and was peeling with mold showing - the shower temperature
fluctuated between hot and cold

The breakfast was not very good. The location was very central in a
beautiful neighborhood, the owner of the bed breakfast was kind and very
good in giving us directions.

The prices were excessively high at $140 + $16 for additional person. The
price for a bed and breakfast of this kind should have to be $70 max.

We have traveled around the world and for the money your are best staying at
a motel were basic necessities are met.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
apaintedladyinn, Owner at A Painted Lady Inn, responded to this review, May 2, 2012
I should have known when I took this reservation that this review would follow. The husband was overly concerned that his wife would not be satisfied with the room. When he made the reservation I explained to him the rooms were small and if after the first night they wanted to move to my cottage it was available for them to do so, but they did not complain at the time about anything. There is an air conditioner in the room and all the windows open for ventilation. Each morning they came down at least 30-45 minutes late to breakfast being served at 9am, so yes their breakfast was warmed up for them. As far as the shower is concerned it has since been stripped and re-grouted and the water heater is an instant hot water heater, so the water is hot on demand!
Hagerstown, md
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

Prior to making my reservation with A Painted Lady Inn I did a fair amount of research looking at different B & Bs in the area. I chose the Painted Lady, because the price seemed fair, and it appeared from the ad and pictures to have the look, feel and location I was looking for. Upon my arrival for my 5 night stay, in the "Den" I discovered that when the ad said "full bath with tub" this meant it had NO shower. Upon commenting to the owner that this would not suit for 5 nights she offered to move my wife and I out to the cottage for an additional $40/night. We stayed for one night in "The Den", and although we loved the home, its antiques, the parlor and the charming dining room, the lack of a shower was not going to work for 5 days. Having felt as though the ad misled me I asked the owner if I could cancel my remaining nights and opt for a motel. At this point I let the owner talk me into staying in the "Cottage" for an extra $15 rent. The "Cottage" is what was once the detached garage now renovated into living quaters, with a shower. However, once you've been moved out to the garage you are no longer a guest in the house, no charming living room, no using the dining room, no conversation with other guests, no antique furniture, all the things one stays at a B & B for. I was "Moved Out" and banished to the cottage, an oversized motel room. Breakfast was delicious, and well prepared although four days of eggs was probably too many eggs for me.

Room Tip: when staying at a B&B do not assume you have a bath room, you may share a bathroom, and it may b...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
This guest arrived and was unhappy that their bath did not have a shower. I immediately told him I could move him to the cottage with a shower and he fumed off needing to speak to his wife about it who would arrive later in the day. That night I didn't hear anything from them and the next morning there fuming was so distasteful to the other guests at breakfast that it made them feel uncomfortable and the other guests hurriedly left the breakfast table. They then came to me to cancel their reservation and I again offered the cottage. They complained about being deceived and I told them I wanted them to be happy and that I would be happy to move them to the cottage for the same price and that's what I did. There was no up charge! The received a room that normally rents for $179 for $119/night for five nights and then have the nerve to continue to fume here on their review. The cottage is a beautiful space with wonderful light, if they had wanted to have access to the main house as well, all they needed to do was ask, but there was obviously no satisfying this guest.
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2011

Have stayed at least 6 times here and this time stayed in the Den on main floor with private hallway bath and claw foot soaking tub. Room is Beautiful with Gas Fireplace, House is Elegant in Design especially since it was built in 1894. Great Location, close to places to eat, shopping and Bus's and Light Rail (Max) Milo's Cafe around corner on 14th and Broadway has Great Food and there Mushroom soup is Heavenly. Try Pix for Dessert, ask Jody and she will give you directions.
Breakfast was Great!!

Thanks Jody!! Your Fabulous -:)

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Beaverton, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2011

I look forward to going to bed and breakfasts for two reasons. The building is usually very nice and interesting looking, and the breakfasts are wonderful. Well, not at the Painted Lady.
She said we'd eat at 9:00. Nothing was happening in the kitchen until 9:05. By 9:15, breakfast was served. Not much effort there at all. It consisted of boring scrambled eggs with nothing in them, seven raspberriers, coffee, some cheap cider, and some round tasteless scones, very disappointing. We were never asked if we wanted more of anything, but coffee.
I would never go back.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Wilmington, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

I travelled 8,500 miles this summer through national parks and stayed in a wide variety of places. This scores near the top!

The property is located in a historic neighborhood, a few blocks walk from great places to eat and visit. Jody's home is a two story charmer beautifully dressed in lovely antiques. I stayed in a downstairs bedroom down the hall from the bathroom that featured an authentic old porcelain tub with claw feet! Wonderful ambiance.

Breakfast was delicious and I enjoyed my fellow guests. I was treated like a good friend and I was sorry to leave. I had two superb meals at Milo's, one of the owner's favorite hangouts.

I was en route from Crater Lake to Mt. Rainier so I did not visit Portland itself.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to A Painted Lady Inn? Share your experiences!