“Cozy and comfortable, located near all the good food spots, a tiny bit loud.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Bluebird Guesthouse

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Bluebird Guesthouse
You added Bluebird Guesthouse to your Saves list
3517 SE Division St., Portland, OR 97202   |
Ranked #15 of 43 Portland B&B and Inns
Hamburg, Germany
“Cozy and comfortable, located near all the good food spots, a tiny bit loud.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

Centrally located near all the tempting food alternatives of Division street, this guesthouse has the feel of a family home. We stayed in one of the two basement rooms, which had a window without a view. The downside of being in the basement is of course that everybody walks on the floor above you, which was not helped by the wooden floor. If you suffer from light sleep like I do bring earplugs or take one of the rooms on the first floor.

The guesthouse is nicely furnished, there is a spacious area to sit in, including two porches - one on either side of the house.

Breakfast is available in the fridge as you wake up - you are welcome to help yourself to a variety of bread, fruit, oatmeal, muffins and bagels. If you fancy pancakes there is pancake mix available - although you have to cook them yourself.

There are several jams and spreads available to have with your bread.

The bathrooms are located on several floors - there is a toilet near the kitchen, as well as a bathtub/shower on first floor. I have to say that I was not really happy with the water pressure the shower had. I have fairly long hair and it took me quite a while to get rid of all the shampoo in my hair.

There is a computer and phone near the kitchen, which can be used by guests.

All in all, this was a nice place to spend to nights at. However, next time I would definitely choose an upstairs room to avoid all the guests walking on what felt like my head.

• Stayed July 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2012

I stayed for a week in January, when Portland is pretty cold and cloudy, if not rainy, and really enjoyed this beautiful old house. Division street is a great neighborhood, with lot's of interesting places to eat nearby. It is convenient for going into the city or visiting in the suburbs. Great wine shop just down the street. The rooms are comfortable and the place is very well run; manager was accomodating and helpful, but not intrusive. Loved the big kitchen with everything you could want to cook a few meals. Although continental breakfast is provided (including a fresh pot of coffee and fresh fruit), I enjoyed keeping some eggs and cheese in the refrigerator and making an omelet in the mornings. I need decaf and there is a coffee place right next door where I got my decaf latte every morning. I started my mornings with an omelet, latte, toast and the Oregonian to read. Just as good, if not better, than home. Besides the breakfast nook in the kitchen, there is a large dining room, inviting living room and comfy den with a fireplace, so even staying in an economy room in the basement was OK. The place was not that busy while I was there, so the limited bathroom facilities was not a problem; I can see how sharing the bathrooms could be a bit of problem if the place was full. However, they provide a nice bathrobe and the other guests I saw were all very polite so I think it could be worked out. Another nice feature is the availability of a washer and dryer; it was nice not to bring home a lot of dirty clothes.

Room Tip: Nicest rooms are upstairs, but if you are not going to be spending much time in your room, the more...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011

My sister and I stayed one night in the Ken Kesey room, having called from Eugene on our way north. The innkeeper was most accommodating; he texted us instructions, and we found the property in the dark with no problem, parked in front, went right inside and slept through the night. We had no sound at all from the street, and while the bed is not necessarily luxurious, it was very comfortable. The room was quite cozy, and I was surprised to find robes available for our use. The house was very quiet, and we heard no noise from the bathroom right next to our room. There was never any problem using the common bath facilities. We enjoyed having breakfast in the dining room while planning our day in Portland, and noticed that the kitchen is well-equipped for guests who might desire to cook meals. The common rooms are very welcoming, and the architecture of this beautiful old home has been nicely preserved.
The location is excellent, in a very fun part of the city, and we spent a lot of time walking in the immediate vicinity, enjoying everything we experienced. I look forward to returning to the Bluebird whenever I visit Portland, as the value for the price is exceptional.

Room Tip: Ken Kesey is quiet, inexpensive but comfortable, is roomy enough for two people and their bags, and...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Oxford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2011

Arriving late at night it was very hard to find (no outside light or sign). Rooms were clean and comfortable but a long way from a bathroom. Breakfast good but entirely D-I-Y. The house itself had character and was welcoming but with no-one around apart from other guests it lacked the warmth of other Oregon B-and-B's.No real complaints but should be cheaper!

Room Tip: Any with en-suite
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2011

This was either or third or fourth stay at the Bluebird. The location is great. The house itself is full of vintage charm and has the wonderful front porch for relaxing and enjoying the lovely Portland nights. Our previous stays were in the small and very cozy Raymond Carver room. This last stay we "splurged" and stayed in the roomier Sherman Alexie. Both have full beds(with extra pillows/blankets),window A/C, dressing tables, hair dryers, cotton robes and plenty of hangers for your clothes. There are two bathrooms on the second floor (one is full with a claw foot tub/shower and the other has a separate W/C and shower stall so waiting is usually never an issue. The kitchen downstairs has the utensils/cookware needed to make your own meals. Breakfasts are provided (bagels,muffins,English muffins, fruit, coffee) and it is also self serve. The refrigerator is full size so you can store your own purchased food. They even have a "free" drawer to take or donate unused food. A nice perk is the washer and dryer and the free internet/computer. Nina was a fantabulous hostess and we look forward to our next stay.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

This place makes me want to open my own B&B - it's beautifully decorated with a really unusual floor plan. Everything is clean, tidy, organized and thoughtfully arranged. The kitchen is a warm, inviting place and the breakfast, though spartan, includes good coffee and there are plenty of cosy places to sit as you enjoy it. You can really tell that someone takes a lot of pride in the building and the business.

I stayed in the Raymond Carver room - it's tiny, but has everything you need. Folks who aren't traveling solo might ask for one of the bigger rooms, however. There's easy, free street parking nearby, and wow - the neighborhood is wonderful. Terrific bars and restaurants, great little shops, more good coffee, really everything you think of when you think of Portland. Despite having all of this fun stuff available practically at your fingertips, the house is quiet and restful.

Oh - and the price? You just can't beat it.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Hollywood, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

Let me preface this review with the knowledge that I usually go to B&Bs, so the guesthouse experience was a little different from what I'm used to. That being said, my boyfriend and I chose the Gabriel Garcia room because it had a private bath. The room itself was pretty nice, great view and comfortable bed. Unfortunately, the shower head was a little short for my boyfriend who is 6'2''. Other than that, this room was located on the main floor, connecting to the kitchen and another common room, so we were unable to sleep later than the earliest riser in the house. I awoke to the voices of the other people in the house, so I didn't wake up in the best mood. The parking here is a little difficult, there is parking along the road but it took us some time to find a close spot. The neighborhood is really cool, it's full of young people, and there is a nice beer place within a short walk of this place. I'd recommend checking out the neighborhood.

Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Bluebird Guesthouse? Share your experiences!