“Beautiful hotel in a great dowtown” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sentinel

You added Sentinel to your Saves list
Sentinel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   614 SW 11th Avenue, Portland, OR 97205 (Formerly The Governor Hotel) (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #3 of 133 Hotels in Portland
Brooklyn, New York
“Beautiful hotel in a great dowtown”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

Lovely rooms and decor in the middle of a great downtown. I didn't have to pay as I was a guest of the city so I can't comment on what the other reviews say about the pricing. The staff was pleasant and responsive to my requests

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
chris b, General Manager at Sentinel, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
So happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us at Sentinel. We truly value all of our guest feedback and I will be sure to pass it along to the rest of our team. Thanks very much for your business and please consider staying with us again the next time you make it to Portland.

Chris Bebo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Sunnyvale, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

I have been fortunate enough to stay at the Sentinel (formerly The Governor) a few times in the past few years, and I have always enjoyed my stay. Big comfy beds and cozy rooms, close in walking distance to a lot of good food and sights in Portland, and friendly and helpful service. However, the pricing is a little bit steep. Definitely worth checking out, but maybe only for special occasions!

Room Tip: Look for their deals in the off-season (most likely November through March)
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
chris b, General Manager at Sentinel, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Thank you for your honest feedback. So happy to have you back as our repeat guest. Rest assured, our rates are competitive with other hotels in downtown Portland. We are always looking for ways to provide value to our guests and have done a lot in the last year to elevate our product as well as the Guest Service Experience.

Please consider staying with us again the next time you come to visit Portland. We appreciate your loyalty and look forward to your return.

Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

Very convenient location and attractive property. Rates were high but not outrageous compared to competing properties. Based on price and fact that I booked for 4 nights, I expected a good room. Instead, I ended up in an interior room facing an air shaft. Sometimes that is nice as it is quiet, but in this case it was pretty claustrophobic. The worst problem was 2 A/C vents that blew very forcefully on the bed, and could not be closed or redirected. Made for a restless night of sleep. Next morning I complained at desk, thinking maintenance could provide some covers or air diverters (easily found in just about every hardware store I've ever been in). When I returned that night, I had a message that maintenance said nothing could be done, and their only suggestion was to turn the system off. I guess I should be more generous, as they kindly offered to send someone up to instruct me on how to turn the system off...treating the guest as an imbecile is a nice touch when you decide to ignore the issue. Its a shame, as the hotel otherwise seemed nice. They had a vibrant bar off the lobby that I would typically patronize a lot, but on this trip I had a lot of outside obligations and did not get much of a chance to go in. I finally went in about 9:30 on a Monday night, when things were slower. The staff seemed to provide a very authentic Portland hipster vibe, as they acted like they were horrified that someone as old and uncool as me would dare invade their space, and despite a limited number of customers, they made sure I had to wait an extended period before finally breaking down and agreeing to serve me. Pretty sure if I had gone in on a busier night, I would have been completely ignored. Bottom line, it appears they have pumped a lot of money into this renovation/re-branding, and they have a good facility to work with, but think they have quite a few bugs to work through, and I would only recommend giving them a try if you feel you are getting a good buy.

Room Tip: Beware of the interior rooms that face air shaft.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
chris b, General Manager at Sentinel, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your honest feedback. Our goal is toward constant improvement and your thoughtful commentary will help us to get better. I am truly sorry for any inconvenience you may have experienced. By virtue of the many positive Trip Advisor reviews, many of which comment specifically on the genuine care provided by our staff, I truly believe that your experience was not reflective of the way we generally operate. Again, my sincere apologies.

We would love to have you return so that we can show you we do indeed know how to care for our guests. Please consider us again the next time you come to visit Portland.

Respectfully,

Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

we have been living there for the last month, one more to go while our house is being restored, broken pipes. cannot say enough about the quality of the staff, very attentive and certainly going out of there way to make our stay as comfortable as possible. great service top to bottom.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
chris b, General Manager at Sentinel, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to recognize the collective efforts of our team. It continues to be our pleasure having you with us as our guest. Our team works hard and it is very rewarding to be recognized. I will be sure to pass your kind words along.

Respectfully,

Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

We stumbled upon the Sentinel after a day of travel and needing to rest our weary heads. We worked with a desk attendant named Dave, who was beyond belief friendly, super helpful, and had us in stitches, he deserves five stars on his own! We knew we'd found a great spot. The hotel was beautiful: a nice blend of modern understatement with beautiful touches of antiquity...just check out the ceiling when you walk into the lobby. They have a great steakhouse attached, a wonderful hotel bar, and they also tout one of the only late-night Starbucks in the area (also linked to the lobby) that sells beer and wine! There is 24-hour access to a gym with so many features, and seriously, the benefits go on and on...we lucked out with this spot! Great access to the PDX waterfront, so much local scenery and shopping around...if you're looking for a great stay and a great home base to do some exploration in Portland, I'd highly recommend it!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
HotelGM529, General Manager at Sentinel, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Wonderful review, thank you very much. We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay. Kudos to our staff for doing such a wonderful job of earning your business. We really appreciate the opportunity to serve you and hope that you will consider us again the next time you are visiting Portland.

Eugene, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

I had a short but very sweet stay here. I love the decor in this wonderful, historical building. The beds and linens were super comfy, and it was convenient to have Jake's Grill and a Starbucks in the building, but what impressed me most was the staff. They were extremely friendly, professional, and efficient. What a nice addition to Portland's already great hotel options. I'll definitely return.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
HotelGM529, General Manager at Sentinel, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
So happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that both Jake's Grill and Starbucks were on your short list of places to visit. More than this, I am pleased to know that our staff did such a great job of taking care of you.

Please consider another trip to Sentinel should you find yourself back in Portland. We would love to have you with us again.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

On entering this gorgeous old hotel you can tell right away you are in for a treat. The ceiling is tin and the carved borders are reminders of a day gone by. Upon arriving late one Friday evening we were greeted by a friendly laid back staff.
The elevator was a bit old and small but once on our floor (5th) the hallways opened up to both old and new elements that made us excited to get to our room. Lime green doors lined the hall matched with oversized black and white photographs of stars of the past.
Our room was dark and very comfortable, no view out the window other than an inner brickwall but the room was well done. The bathroom was large and the bed was amazingly comfortable.
I tend to be over critical of hotel rooms and ask to see more than one room. For some reason or another I was satisfied and also traveling with a friend that doesn't know this habit about me.
I would of loved a view but I did just book the room two days before.
The new restaurant in the lobby was open late and a lively great place to end the night after we walked around for over three hours.
I love the location of this hotel and the staff from beginning to end couldn't be beat. Also having a Starbucks in the lobby was ever so handy.
There was an event going on in the ballroom in the middle of the hotel. If you have a chance to see this magnificent piece of architecture DO IT! They don't build them like this anymore!

Room Tip: Ask to see a couple choices, you never know what gems could be lurking in an old building like this...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
HotelGM529, General Manager at Sentinel, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
So glad to hear you enjoyed your visit. Very happy to hear that you were able to look at the Governor Ballroom. Agreed, there is no other venue like it in Portland. A true gem worthy of visiting in its own right.

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your thoughtful feedback. Always appreciated.

Looking forward to your next visit.

Chris Bebo

Been to Sentinel? Share your experiences!