“Really great, but minor details get overlooked” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sentinel Hotel

Save Saved
You added Sentinel Hotel to your Saves list
Sentinel Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   614 SW 11th Avenue, Portland, OR 97205 (Formerly The Governor Hotel) (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
15% Off Room & Free Wifi
Ranked #30 of 132 hotels in Portland
Portland, Oregon
“Really great, but minor details get overlooked”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Overall my stay at The Governor was excellent, but there were minor issues that made me realize there's not as much attention to detail as I would expect from a property such as this.

1) There is virtually no mention of the parking situation anywhere on the Governor's website. I could have called, of course, but for information that would be so commonly requested by a large number of guests, I would think they'd free up their phone queue by simply stating it online. FYI, the only parking options are temporary street parking (if you want to feed the meter), the various private garages in the area, or their own overnight valet parking at $35. I felt that was a bit steep, but I'm also not accustomed to staying in high-end urban establishments.

2) The ironing board provided was in terrible shape. It worked, but again was in a condition more appropriate for a Days Inn than for The Governor.

3) At least in our room, there was no electrical outlet into which one could conveniently plug the in-room coffeemaker. The outlet built into the desk lamp was only a 2-prong (also not ideal for its intended purpose as an outlet for electronic devices such as laptops), so I ended up twisting the LCD TV around at a dangerous angle and putting the coffeemaker next to it so I could access the TV's plug. I've stayed at Marriott's that at least have an outlet in the same cubby as the coffeemaker. I know this is a historic property, but nonetheless...

Our room was situated at the corner of two hallways, one leading to the elevator, so the noise level was higher than I normally experience - but then again as a historic property the walls weren't designed for acoustics, and I'm sure such issues aren't relevant in other areas of the hotel.

I will say, however, that the room was wonderful and the staff absolutely professional, friendly and extremely helpful (which to me is almost as important as the quality of the room.)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

396 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Great old school luxury hotel in a fantastic city. Within walking distance to everything and right across from the famous food truck area. There are great hole in the wall bars in the area all around you and the giant book store a couple blocks away is not to be missed. Take a trolley or explore on foot. Everything is close and we will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the side street, it is a bit quieter. Ours was by the food trucks.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
East Lansing, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

The hotel was beautiful. The lobby was large with a fireplace, large table, sofas. The restaurant at the hotel, Jake's, was very good and reasonably priced for lunch compared to other restaurants in Portland. The location can't be beat, close to transportation and excellent area if you are a shopper. The only complaint I had was the early morning noise which was outside the hotel and something over which the hotel had no control. Excellent housekeeping. The room was very clean and I never heard the staff in the hallways as you do in most hotels.

Room Tip: We had considerable early morning noise outside the hotel. We were on third floor with windows faci...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Yosemite National Park, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

Excellent staff. The penthouse suites are worth it, especially if you plan to have visitors over. Workout center is well stocked with weight machines, aerobic machines, water, towels, even headphones for tv monitor on aerobic machines. Beautiful meeting rooms/ballrooms. Loaner umbrellas were better than our own. Shower amenities worked well, even with my sensitive skin. In room hairdryer, iron & ironing board, and coffee maker came in handy. A small fridge was delivered swiftly upon our request. The safe in the closet was big enough to hold my laptop, video camera and jewelry travel box and was easy to use. The wine we ordered to have waiting was cold and ready to drink, unfortunately it just didn't taste good to us but the red wine might be better than the chardonney we had ordered.

Room Tip: opps, clicked on pool above and couldn't unclick. They do not have a pool or spa.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Stayed here with two friends during a conference. We shared a very large room with two double beds, and the hotel provided a cot as well. Very comfortable beds, quiet too even though we faced Alder street. I did find the lighting in our bathroom rather dim, with only one light fixture :-(

The rooms used for the conference were absolutely splendid, gems of architecture and style. We also had a buffet breakfast served by the hotel's catering, and this was fine as well.

We could easily walk to Powell's Books, the streetcars, and had delicious food carts right on the corner across from the hotel. Did hang out in the Starbucks attached here, as well as in the beautiful lobby. I also used the fitness centre a couple of times, and it was quite well equipped, with nice cold lavender scented towels too! Oddly, didn't have a shower though.

Would recommend this place, as a good place from which to explore Portland.

Room Tip: Do avoid, if you are a light sleeper, a room across from the elevator. I switched rooms on my last n...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

The staff went out of their way to make our stay just perfect! The lobby is beautiful with a warm crackling fire in the fireplace. Our rooms were beautiful and the amenities lovely. Couldn't ask to stay in a nicer place. We'll be returning! The location was great. Parking valets were cheerful and helpful.

Room Tip: We stayed in "Princeton" King rooms. They were fabulous.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Columbia, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

The Governor Hotel is on the National Register of Historic Places. It is a sophisticated hotel noticeable upon entrance. It is well located in downtown Portland with the trolley stop right across the street. We did not need to use the valet parking since there were a number of parking spaces across from the hotel and the doorman assured us he would keep an eye on it for us. The staff couldn't be nicer, offering to upgrade us to the top floor with a terrace for $20.00. We had dinner (food vendors very nearby) on it our first night. It is charming and old without being stodgy. I read that it was recently renovated. There is a Starbucks attached as well as a restaurant called Jake's Cafe. If I returned I wouldn't hesitate to stay there.

Room Tip: Charm them at the front desk. I sent my husband in alone. He usually has this kind of luck. Having...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Sentinel Hotel? Share your experiences!