Overall my stay at The Governor was excellent, but there were minor issues that made me realize there's not as much attention to detail as I would expect from a property such as this.
1) There is virtually no mention of the parking situation anywhere on the Governor's website. I could have called, of course, but for information that would be so commonly requested by a large number of guests, I would think they'd free up their phone queue by simply stating it online. FYI, the only parking options are temporary street parking (if you want to feed the meter), the various private garages in the area, or their own overnight valet parking at $35. I felt that was a bit steep, but I'm also not accustomed to staying in high-end urban establishments.
2) The ironing board provided was in terrible shape. It worked, but again was in a condition more appropriate for a Days Inn than for The Governor.
3) At least in our room, there was no electrical outlet into which one could conveniently plug the in-room coffeemaker. The outlet built into the desk lamp was only a 2-prong (also not ideal for its intended purpose as an outlet for electronic devices such as laptops), so I ended up twisting the LCD TV around at a dangerous angle and putting the coffeemaker next to it so I could access the TV's plug. I've stayed at Marriott's that at least have an outlet in the same cubby as the coffeemaker. I know this is a historic property, but nonetheless...
Our room was situated at the corner of two hallways, one leading to the elevator, so the noise level was higher than I normally experience - but then again as a historic property the walls weren't designed for acoustics, and I'm sure such issues aren't relevant in other areas of the hotel.
I will say, however, that the room was wonderful and the staff absolutely professional, friendly and extremely helpful (which to me is almost as important as the quality of the room.)
- Also Known As:
- Governor Hotel Portland Oregon
- Governor Hotel
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Amex, TravelClick, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Priceline, Tingo, TripOnline SA, Venere, Agoda, Otel and Jetsetter so you can book your Sentinel Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.