“German Sausages” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch
Milwaukie, Oregon
“German Sausages”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

My wife and I used to own a restaurant and order German Sausages from Seattle. Now that we have settled in Portland, for the time being, we've been searching for German sausages in the area. Otto's are not bad but since our visit there we've founs a few better. My first impression on our first visit to Otto's is that the place did not look very sanitary, maybe it's been or going downhill ? Some of the meats in their deli coolers looked as though they ahd been there a few days and was time to toss them. Overall the few sausages we purchased to try at home weren't bad but have found other more appealing sources.

Visited November 2012

91% Recommend
Portland, Oregon
“Boerewors!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

What is Boerewors? It's a traditional farmer's sausage eaten in South Africa. You just never find it much outside of South Africa. It has distinctive spices and Otto's gets it just right. They told me they import South African coriander to get just the right taste. Whatever the case, it's delicious. It's generally sold frozen in its classic pinwheel shape. Be sure to try it.

I have tried other things at Otto's, but this was a clear standout. I have never actually eaten at the restaurant (there is limited seating), but I have bought various kinds of sausage to take home and grill. It can get very busy, but I have always found the staff to be friendly.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Incline Village, Nevada
“Fun Lunch for Six Mouths”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

While in Portland on unexpected business and my family in Eugene watching the Olympic trials I decided to sneak a meal in with my family. So as many times as I have been in Portland, never had taking the time to experience their cuisine. My Client recommended Otto's so arranged to meet five of the family brood for lunch. The fact it skirts a residential area, that the air is filled with the scent of a variety of meats was diffidently a great start. Walking into the store and looking at the variety was well worth the drive. Though the best part is each of us had different types of sauge sandwiches and no one was disappointed.
The point is that no matter what you order you will enjoy. The service is good as well as quick. Fresh is an understatement. Just watching people coming and going was a treat. It is obvious they have their regulars and it is obvious that they attract new curious guest like ourselves and satisfy them. It is not easy to find but worth the experience. If there is a negative it would be they are a bit expensive.
Give it a try.

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Sacramento
“So Very Disappointing...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

Otto’s isn’t much to look at, and either is its service. I had high expectations for this place, especially after reading all of the positive reviews. Went at lunchtime during a weekday. There were only a few other customers. There was a guy out front grilling sausages, or you can go inside and order from the counter. I don’t recommend this at all. The counter guys were downright rude—with attitudes to match. The first thing they said (more like “barked” at me) upon ordering was that they were out of rolls and bread for the sandwiches. Ok…it’s lunchtime and they are out of bread for sandwiches?! It definitely appeared that that they did not want my business and could care less if I was there. I should have left then. Instead, I went back outside I went to grab a grilled sausage. Sausages were just mediocre--and pricey. Served on a plain hotdog bun. Definitely nothing special. My recommendation? Sad to say, but skip this place and head over to Costco where you will find a much better, quality sausage and will forego the guys’ attitudes and rudeness. Really, really disappointing…

• Visited July 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“excellent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

Stopped by Otto's. For a chicken sausage dog which they grill on site. Excellent.
They also have old fashioned meat counter inndoors where their hot dogs may be purchased to cook at home.

• Visited July 2012