“Questionable booking policy” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Blue Plum Inn Bed & Breakfast

Blue Plum Inn Bed & Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Blue Plum Inn Bed & Breakfast
You added Blue Plum Inn Bed & Breakfast to your Saves list
2022 NE 15th Avenue, Portland, OR 97212   |
Ranked #26 of 43 Portland B&B and Inns
Vancouver BC
“Questionable booking policy”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2010

On the Internet I booked the Tulip room for the night of July 14th 2010.
Received a phone call the next day telling me the room was unavailable
Checked on the Blue Pulm website again today, and the Tulip room still is listed as available for the night of July 14th.
So either the Blue Plum's website is not reliable OR
I suspect that the Owners would prefer to book the room for 2 or more nights, which I understand from a business perspective but if that is the case, I would have appreciated being told the truth, rather than being told a fib which their own website contradicts.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Families
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2010

Suzanne and Jonathan seemed attentive, knowledgeable and were extremely helpful with restaurant recommendations and local infomation. They made breakfast an hour earlier than usual, for four of us staying there attending the same conference, which we greatly appreciated. Breakfasts were ample and creative, using local ingredients when possible. Every morning was a delightful surprise. The Tulip Room was perfect for a single person and was comfortable enough, and the convenience of the light rail was greatly appreciated--direct to the airport and free in the city.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2010

I was very impressed with Blue Plum. In the past we had stayed at Georgian House, but I forgot to make the reservation until a week out...so Willie at the Georgian referred me to Suzanne. I was told we would have the Iris room, but in fact we were given the Hydrangea Suite - which is on the basement level. I wasn't pleased about that, as I live in a split level and would never have agreed to a basement in this weather. It was definitely chilly down there and much more space than we needed - or necessarily wanted to pay for. If you need the space or tend to run hot, the suite is fine. It just doesn't suit my needs.

That said, the location is excellent! Some of my favorite restaurants are close by, and this is walking distance to the light rail station (and major shopping mall if you should so desire). We love taking the light rail into downtown and also took it to a hockey game. If you're flying in, you can take the light rail from the airport and walk the 4 blocks to the house. They even though ahead and asked me on the phone what our plans were, mapped out how to get to where were going, and left us maps of many nearby restaurants - and chocolatiers! The forethought was a pleasant surprise.

Additionally, breakfast was amazing! Both my husband & I are vegetarians and I have a wheat allergy, so I was expecting fruit & oatmeal for me...not to be! We had delicious gourmet breakfasts each day, my husband getting a special baked treat, but I didn't feel left out one bit. Baked polenta with 2 kinds of cheeses, ricotta-yogurt cake with pan seared fruit, yogurt with pan-seared pears & homemade syrup, broccoli & goat cheese frittata...YUM!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Kildeer, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2009

The Blue Plum Inn has exceeded my expectations during both of my stays. The Innkeepers Suzanne and Jonathan are absolutely fabulous hosts. They can answer all and any questions about local attractions, activities, restaurants, etc. The accomodations are very comfortable, clean, charming, welcoming, easily accessible to public transportation, and an easy walk to some great restaurants. Not to mention easy access to the downtown area. Suzanne's attention to detail at breakfast is amazing and her menu excellent. I really can't say enough. Treat yourself and stay at the Blue Plum Inn!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
Perth, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2009

We can empathize with the previous poster who remarked upon being persuaded to cancel his reservation because he couldn't be offered the "optimal experience". We got the same runaround (and the exact same phrase was used!) recently nearly 3 full months after having booked and two weeks before our planned stay. We were called by Suzanne who told us they were afraid they wouldn't be able to offer us the "optimal experience" at breakfast. due to our dietary restrictions. Despite our assurances that we would are easy to please and would be happy with a light, simple breakfast (yogurt and a piece of fruit), the very strong impression we got was that they would prefer us to cancel our booking. In the end, we felt we weren't wanted, so we did cancel. (We did have the feeling our room was wanted for someone else.)

Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
jonhiker, partner at Blue Plum Inn Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, July 14, 2009
Wanted – the best guest experience possible.

It is our mission to deliver the highest level of guest service we can achieve. Our guests have been wonderfully individualistic in their varying needs and interests. We are willing and eager to attend to special needs and requests, but sometimes we do not have the resources to meet each and every one.

Bed and breakfasts are generally small family run businesses and each one is unique. What is most significant to the guest experience is creating the best match. In some instances, the best match is another property or even a different kind of lodging property, such as a hotel. Circumstances can change unexpectedly, for either party, compromising any travel plan.

It is it unfortunate that the writer had a less than desirable experience. We would have welcomed further opportunity to have served him. Beyond his request to cancel his reservation, he failed to respond to our communications, and we honor his choice.
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2009

This was our second stay at the Blue Plum Inn, located in the historic Irvington District. I have to say that our hosts, Suzanne and Jonathan, were attentive, knowledgeable and extremely helpful. I am recovering from shoulder surgery and they could not have been more helpful. We stayed in a room on the second floor with access to a common sitting room. The accommodations were what you would expect of an inn of this caliber.

Breakfasts were quite memorable. The first course served with fresh fruit and scones. The main part of breakfast was equally good, with well prepared egg dishes. Since I prefer savory foods, Suzanne made a special stuffed brioche in my honor. It was lovely.

I have to say that Suzanne and Jonathan love being innkeepers. The inn is nicely decorated with fresh flowers and has a lovely feel to it. Their knowledge of the area, restaurants, etc. is very good, with one of the most extensive collections of local menus that I have come across. The inn is well located and within walking distance of public transportation downtown.

The bottom line: we will be back and have already booked a stay in August. If in Portland, you should take advantage of this gem.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
San Francisco, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2008

Jon and Suzanne have created a cozy, inviting place to call "home" for a few days in Portland. The rooms are small, but comfortable, and the house is charming. The location is perfect, as Portland is easy to get around in, be it by the public transit, on foot or by car.
By far the best part of our stay was the food. Both Jonathan and Suzanne are amazing chefs and take great pride in their creations, using mostly local, organic food. My husband and I enjoyed our first B&B experience, and the bar has been set high for future stays.

• Liked — Fantastic breakfasts
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Blue Plum Inn Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!