“Nicks has been ruined by the new owners” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1,538 of 3,621 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Hot Dogs
duvall
“Nicks has been ruined by the new owners”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

I have been going to Nicks since 1977, and Frank Nudo, along with "The Commander Kenny Kell", and Herbie, had that place rocking with awesome coney's, and Burgers, with their "mac salad". Nicks was always the same, you could count on someone coming up to you after eating there, and saying something like "you were just at Nick's wearn't you"? It had a wonderful lasting effect. In a nut-shell, Nicks was the "bomb", along side of "Roakes", in Millwaulkie. The new owners changed the way they do the coney sause, it was like "Hamburger helper", the dogs were some "Hybread", not the long dogs with casings, just like Chicago's "Vienna beef dogs", and the mac salad, made me almost puke. The women who was one of the owners that was working when we went in was nice but, along with her husband changed the atmosphere around. It felt just like all the other "yuppie" kind of places in the Hawthorne District. I was so dissapointed with Nicks that I will never return there again. I live east of Seattle, and Nicks USED to be one of my traditional places I would go to, with "Heidelburg" on tap, "RC' cola, and those wonderful coneys. I will miss Frank, and Nicks. Too bad people screw stuff up, thinking that their way is better. TOO BAD!!! At least the sign outside is the same.

• Visited May 2011

portland,oregon
“Very Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

We were so excited when Nick's re-opened and had been spruced-up. Big disappointment-- the sprucing-up took all the charm, character from the place. So sad. Food was okay--but pretty puny portions for the price-- had a basic cheese burger-- w a few fries. No leftovers here.Crowd was pretty bland--and service lousy--new owner and staff were not friendly at all--kind of stayed to themselves--weird vibe.

Visited December 2011
Portland, Oregon
“Great Hawthorne Neighborhood Spott To Call My Own!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2010

I LOVE THIS PLACE. Great food! It was really busy though so I had to wait for a table, but once I sat all was Fabulous! Really nice sound for the game. Great to go to spot where they put the sound on. I will return!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Portland, Oregon
“flint dog”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2010

This was bad. A cheap dog on a cheap bun. The chili was dry beef not chili! A Flint dog not motor city dog ,the best! Any one who likes this has never had a real Coney island!
Man, how are they getting away with this! I don't care if it's Nicks, which is, I guess some thing in Portland, the dog is bad!!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Cape Meares, Oregon
“Worst "dogs" in the world...AVOID at all costs!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2010

My sweetie loves coney island style hotdogs - Nick's are the absolute worst we've found in many years of searching and sampling around the U.S. We should have done an about-face when we walked in at lunch hour and found the place empty, but no, we stayed and regretted it. According to the waitress, "the fries are terrific!" No, they are actually undercooked, limp and greasy. Back to the dogs....tiny soggy buns covered with a spicy heap of greasy chopped hamburger - the dogs themselves just tasted bad - and undercooked. Want cheese with that? Well yes, it is a coney island dog. Look, I found some - unfortunately it was the plastic-wrap garbage that belongs in the waste....

Anyway, it's hard to figure out why our food was undercooked, unless, maybe they want to get our food out before we left!! AVOID at all costs.

Also, how did the restrooms get so filthy if no one is there?

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere