“The Appy's get an A” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Vancouver, Canada
“The Appy's get an A”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

The setting on 23rd Ave in the alphabet District on a summers night by the large open windows couldn't be better.
The service was attentive but the recommendations poor (go with your gut).
The Ahi Tuna was amazing with mango..... the plantain chips missed the mark for me but the tuna was so good.
The Chicken Liver Pate was also excellent although we could have used some extra bread to finish it.
The mains were ok. the shrimp pasta had no sauce and was salty. The burger was overcooked.
The white sangria was a hit.
For $70 I thought it was a bit overpriced for a 2 person meal with no dessert and one drink each.
The bill came from Papa Haydens next door so I assume the two are connected - I might try next door next time.

• Visited July 2013

86% Recommend
London, United Kingdom
“Elegant but also relaxing and pleasant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

Excellent New York steak, macaroons and sorbet. Elegantly served by knowledgeable and helpfully pleasant personnel, all of whom worked so hard. Tasteful decor, a mix of local restaurant and cocktail bar, popular with all ages.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Austin & Portland(OR)
“Bar Service at it's best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We go there regularly and sit at the bar, most often during happy hour. After two visits they recognize you, Make great cocktails, quick services on for, interesting guests, good view of the street without being on the street.

• Visited April 2013
Portland, Oregon
“Old Standby”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Been coming here since before I moved here, so it's on my regular list of places. Food is always good. Happy Hour menu is quite good, and they usually have an good white and red for $5/glass. Also some fun drink specials. I've been here with friends, with family, and for business, and noboday is ever disappointed. They have something on the menu for everyone, and the desserts are SUPER. One downer is the parking - it would be great if they could give you a 2-hour voucher to park in their back lot, even if it might be owned by someone else. I've been to JoBar twice in the past month, and the first time we expected to be done with business dinner within 2 hours, so we paid the $6, but the service was unusually slow, and we ended up 3 hours later coming out to a $45 ticket. It was written up 10 minutes after our 2 hours expired, like someone was just waiting there (no leeway). So the next time I came with friends we paid for 2 hours and made sure we limited our time, which results in lost revenue for the restaurant and lost tips for the server. Two other folks asked us, and we told them they would get a ticket if they didn't pay, and they drove off the lot and went elsewhere. I know it's 'the price' to come to shop/eat/play downtown, however it's getting to be a deterrent when you can go to Bridgeport or elsewhere and park for free.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Saint Augustine, Florida
“Northwest Portland At Its Best...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

We to Jo Bar & Rotisserie for dinner with a friend. I was mildly crowded, but I quickly got a seat at the bar while waiting for my friend to arrive. As it got a bit more crowded, I walked up to the host and explained that I was waiting for someone, but was getting concerned about us not being able to get a table. Without a second of hesitation, he grabbed a "RESERVED" sign and placed it on a table for me. This place gets high marks for service.

The meal was excellent. We got plenty of fresh bread prior to the entrees being served, and I got a New York Strip that was perfectly prepared. It was an enjoyable evening all bthe way around. I don't mind a place that's a bit more noisy than it is quiet, and Jo Bar fits that description. My only complaint would be that our table was so close to the next table, it felt as though we were dining with them, instead of just in the same room with them.

This isn't the least expensive restaurant in Northwest, I'm sure, but it's very good, and I can certainly see myself visiting again.

Pretty high marks all around, though.

• Visited January 2013