“Good food and service, would return” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #476 of 3,629 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Mexican
Mount Vernon, Washington
“Good food and service, would return”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Stopped by mid-week about 5PM, and got seated right away.
Found the service to be very attentive, the food very good, expecially for the price.
Very large portions, and hot.
Could not see any reason why I would not return.

• Visited March 2013

Portland, Oregon
“After a disappointing trip to the Heathman, Mazatlan fixed EVERYTHING!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I also left a review for the restaurant at the Heathman hotel, which gives this review a little more context if it's needed.

Short story: I pay for quality food and service, not an attitude. The Heathman very nearly ruined my birthday, and Mazatlan resuscitated it.

I called ahead to ask if there was a wait, since it was the day after valentine's day. There wasn't, but I was hesitant, since I know we could very well be sacrificing atmosphere or quality for convenience. We were not disappointed.

The food wasn't amazing, but it was really good, especially for such reasonable prices. My fajitas were well seasoned and our server was willing to make accommodations (I hate mushrooms and asked for extra peppers and onions instead, got way more food than I expected). The steak fajitas and had tender, juicy chunks of steak rather than the thin slices than mexican places usually use to cut costs. My boyfriend had the "special" steak tacos, and his steak was amazingly tender and very well seasoned. We both took home a lot of leftovers, which were equally delicious the next day.

Our server was attentive and friendly, came to check on us often (but not too often), chatted with us, and when the meal was over, very kindly called us a cab as we were too tired to walk back to where we had originally parked (almost 40 blocks away, closer to the Heathman). The cab ride cost five bucks and our driver was also incredibly friendly and attentive, commiserated with us about the poor service at the Heathman, and agreed that Mazatlan was a bargain with good food and great service!

Thanks, Mazatlan! You saved my birthday!

I would recommend the strawberry margarita (best one I've ever had), although the guava, banana and kiwi margaritas were all lackluster. They're not exactly "margarita-ish" flavors, but it they were pretty tasty experiments. My fajitas were delicious, as was the steak in my boyfriend's tacos (not a euphemism, I swear). If you're sensitive to abrasive noises, watch out for karaoke night, although after a couple of margaritas, the amateur version of "Beinvenidos a Miami" by Will Smith was quite spectacular.

• Visited February 2013
Portland, Oregon
“Favorite Place for Mexican in PDX”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

We go here once a week. Delicious old school Meximerican fare. Not a "foodie" establishment, just great service and large portions of tasty food. Abundant parking which is rare for the area.

• Visited December 2012
Vancouver, BC
“Excellent Mexican food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

We are in Portland for the Vancouver Whitecaps game and tried this restaurant out as we were craving Mexican food and it was close by our hotel. It didn't look like much from the outside but as there were any people eating outside we thought we would give it a try. The food was fantastic. We were served fresh salsa with home made chips which were yummy. I ordered chicken fajitas and my dining partner had chicken enchiladas. Both meals were excellent. We both had the retried beans, which are vegetarian and very tasty. There was a large selection of beer. The price was mid range and this is a must eat at place if you are visiting Portland.

• Visited May 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Port Coquitlam BC Canada
“ice cold margaritas...yum!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

We were staying close to this restaurant so we decided to check it out. After walking all over downtown Portland we stopped in and had blended lime margaritas. Fantastic! Our server was friendly and quick to get our order in. We tried the Mazatlan natchos (made with chicken) as we were not that hungry, just peckish...they were to die for! If I am ever back in Portland I would go back.

• Visited May 2012