“Still consistently good!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mother's Bistro & Bar

Mother's Bistro & Bar
212 SW Stark St, Portland, OR 97204-2603 (Downtown)
503-464-1122
Neighborhood: Downtown
Portland, Oregon
“Still consistently good!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

When I lived in Portland, I'd make Mother's a work-week breakfast stop. I've been gone for seven years now, and when I was visiting family/friends for New Years, I made a breakfast stop and was pleased to see that they haven't changed much (except for higher prices).
This review is only for breakfast, but I've been told their lunch an dinner menu is excellent.

The vibe is homey and welcoming. The food is like mom’s cooking, only a better.

My favorite breakfast choice is their Migas. Thankfully, they still had it on their menu: eggs, corn tortillas, jack cheese, onions & peppers, scrambled together,
topped with chipotle sour cream, salsa & green onions. The corn tortilla seemed soggy this time, but the flavor is still to die for. Great coffee, too.

So stop by for a great meal. They "make everything from scratch, using the best possible ingredients Pacific Northwest wild salmon, Carlton Farms pork, Painted Hills beef and the finest European-style butter in everything we cook and bake."

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

88% Recommend
Portland, Oregon
“This is Portland "food scene" at it's best.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

This is a must visit when in Portland, We go several times a year and have never been disappointed. Not sure whether we prefer breakfast or lunch but a bloody mary and either is great.

The food is fresh, hot and served as it should be. The quality of the ingredients jump out as soon as your first bite hits your mouth and stays there until the last.

It is well worth the wait.

Visited October 2012
Vancouver, Washington
“Very Good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Mother Bistro is the the day time restaurant counter to Mama Tora. The menu has a bit of a Jewish/Greek theme to it, but they have regular items like burgers, but they have a twist to them.

We had breakfast for lunch, it was very good. They serve a excellent cup of coffee there as well. The servers were helpful and pleasant. I have been before and had to wait a long time for a table over the noon hour (very crowded), but today the wait was less than 5 mins.

This is a nice place to hit up if you are downtown, but I don't wouldn't specifically drive into downtown just to eat here. Don't get me wrong, I am recommending it, the food and service was worth the visit.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Keller, Texas
“cute restaurant, good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

we went here for breakfast under some recommendations and it was not disappointing. fresh squeezed juice was yum. and they had really good biscuits and gravy, i was surprised that these northerners could make it right. :P

Visited January 2013
Taipei, Taiwan
“This was an alright breakfast.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I had breakfast here yesterday morning. I choose the place because the review and also most importantly pictures that showed a very nicely decorated space. When we walking in however, we were guided to a different dinning room that looked very casual, I was a bit disappointed coz I wanted to have breakfast in the main space, which was very, very nice.
Breakfast in itself wasn't something to remember and at the end neither my wife nor i had that "We've got to comeback here" feeling.
I had the frittata, which was alright and my wife had the Mikes' special, both were very good serving and we couldn't even finish it, but again, we weren't left with that special Wow feeling.