“Among Portland's Finest” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Portland City Grill

Portland City Grill
111 SW 5th Ave, 30th Floor Bancorp Tower, Portland, OR 97204-3604 (Downtown)
503 450 0030
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Portland City Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #28 of 3,282 Restaurants in Portland
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Sushi, Asian, Pacific Rim
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic, Bar scene, Entertaining clients, Doing business, Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Dessert, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Burnside
Transit: Public transportation is available via Max Transit system and Tri-Met.
Portland, Oregon
“Among Portland's Finest”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Having lived in the Portland area for nearly 4 years, I decided it was time to visit Portland's most popular, highest grossing restaurant: Portland City Grill. Located at a high level of one of Portland's tallest skyscrapers, PCG has an amazing view of the city and surrounding waterways. Walking in, you get the feeling right away that this is a high class establishment. You are greeted by a bevy of beautiful hostesses who take you through the immaculate dining room to a white linen cloth covered table. The servers are all dressed to the nines wearing tuxedo apparel.

The menu has something for everyone. On this occasion I ordered a stuffed chicken dish that was delicious. My tablemate ordered one of their famous filets mignon. I tasted a piece and it was flavorful, moist, and tender as any filet I'd previously had. It was also cooked to perfection. The dessert was equally good, although at this time, several months later, I cannot recall exactly what it was (some sort of chocolate torte dish).

I highly recommend this restaurant for couples celebrating a romantic evening, businessmen looking to seal a deal, and those looking for an exceptional meal. I would not recommend this restaurant to families or those with small or loud children.

The meal, while flawless, may be pricey for some. So please be aware of that fact before booking a reservation.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Princeton, New Jersey
“Outstanding in every way”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013 via mobile

With only 3 nights in Portland we debated long and hard about where to eat. Some of the reviews of this place were a little negative so we walked over to look at it (and their menu) before making a decision. The view was clearly worth even a mediocre meal, but the meal also turned out to be excellent - and a reasonable price for what we got. You can't reserve a window table, but we were told that when we got there we could wait for one to open up. We arrived around 7pm and sat at a window table in the bar for about 20 minutes to get a great window table for dinner. One of the many nice things about this restaurant was that they gave us a card that we handed to the bar waitress when we ordered a bottle of wine for our dinner (and to sip while we waited) and everything was then handled smoothly. Someone came and got us when out table was ready and the wine cost was automatically added to our dinner bill (rather than having to handle a separate tab).

For dinner we each had a salad and a main course. My wife had pan seared tuna and I had Dungeness crab cakes. Both were outstanding. In fact, before having this meal, I always thought that I liked Maryland crab cakes better than any other kind, but these were light, fluffy and very tasty. also they were accompanied with two pleasant sauces and something called (I think) "crab slaw" that seemed to consisted of finely grated crab and some vegetable that was delightful. There was an extensive wine list - we had a modest Malbec at $44 that was good for the price and the bill before tip was just under $130. This was one of the best dining experiences of our two-week trip.

Visited May 2013
Ridgecrest, California
“Good food and a great view”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

Wife and I were there during Sunday Happy Hour and found the bar menu to be excellent and the wine by the glass selection also excellent. The when I ordered a Pinto Noir she asked if I had tasted it before. When I said no, she gave me sample of all the Pinots they were pouring by the glass so I could choose one that matched my preferences. She sold two glasses of a more costly wine rather than 1 glass of something I wouldn't have like. A good investment by the her and the business.
The view of the city is probably worth the trip to the 30th floor and a glass of wine on its own.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Lake Stevens, Washington
“Happy Hour!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Happy hour here is great. The view from the bar is outstanding and the prices are reasonable. Dinner is just ok. Meals have been hit and miss. I have felt I am paying for the view rather than the entrees.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Salem, Oregon
“Unsurpassed Views”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

The view - I dont know that there is a single place in the Portland area, that can beat the views at PCG. As far as atmosphere, not too shabby. If you want to rub elbows or bump into Portland's Elite, this would be the spot.
For an upscale place, it is awfully noisy, but it doesn't seem to bother anyone. There is constant hustling, which from my perspective.. is to ensure the best of service to the patrons.
The food, is above average. Tho I have yet to have anything that I would consider spectacular. That being said, the price is high for the food I am getting. But, I feel like I am paying for the view. I am still ok with that. But the truth is, I have paid a third for similar meals, which have tasted better.
However, all things aside.. THE VIEW! Check it out!

• Visited January 2013