“Quintessential Portland” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Stepping Stone Cafe

Stepping Stone Cafe
2390 NW Quimby St, Portland, OR 97210-2626 (Northwest District)
503-222-1132
Neighborhood: Northwest District
Portland, Oregon
“Quintessential Portland”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

This place is a classic example of why I live in Portland, Oregon. The food is not gourmet dining, nor is it greasy spoon. It's a relaxed, informal cafe that serves a great variety of well-cooked comfort food at a reasonable price. My wife and I had our weekly breakfast meeting there last Friday. The hot chocolate was not the frothed-up foo-foo $3.50 from Starbucks but the $2 standard mug that I remember from childhood. The eggs benedict was perfectly cooked with lots of sauce, the canadian bacon was great quality, though the english muffin could have been toasted a bit more (quibbling...). The hash-browns were lightly brown rounds of potatoes, no bits of burned onion or crumbs, no greasiness at all, and lightly seasoned, maybe too lightly for my taste (more quibbling). Service was friendly and extremely fast Friday morning at 8:30 with the place half-full. If that isn't enough, what really sold me on the place is the decor: signs like "ACID SPILL: when blue light flashes, evacuate immediately" and dynamic superheros & helicopters that drop down from the ceiling every few minutes. The menu gave me a few good laughs, too. I imagine if I were in my 20's I'd be here late-night drinking a beer, but, alas, those days are over. I'll be back to try the burger, hopefully soon. Thanks for keeping Portland weird.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Chicago, IL
“eh, okay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

We went on a Tuesday morning and there was literally no one in there. If I had to wait for this place, I might be upset. I ordered the cinnamon french toast which was blah and very dry. My husband ordered an omelet which was not bad. We also had the "man cake" which was kind of disappointing. Yes, it was larger than my head but had no flavor at all. (we had the buttermilk) The syrup helped but I was not really impressed. The one thing that I loved? The coffee! It was by Portland Roasting Coffee.
I honestly didn't see what the hype was but if you're in the neighborhood and its not crowded I'd say go. Otherwise, skip it.

Visited September 2012
liverpool
“Good food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

After seeing this cafe on Man v Food, just had to visit when we were in Portland. My son had the "Bad*** omelette" - I really don't know how he managed to finish it! The omelettes and "mancakes" are really good too.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Good food, rude service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012 via mobile

I've eaten here several times. The food is always good, but man... The service staff is just plain rude. If you can ignore that, try it. If not, try The Original Pancake or nearby Cameo.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Lenexa, Kansas
“Home cooking”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

Cute little cafe with wonderful food, large portions and a good value for the money. The service is fast and friendly.

Visited February 2012