“A new low” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Dan and Louis Oyster Bar

Dan and Louis Oyster Bar
208 SW Ankeny St, Portland, OR 97204-2707 (Old Town - Chinatown)
503-227-5906
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #885 of 3,629 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Seafood, Pacific Rim
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Old Town - Chinatown
Portland
“A new low”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

The service is always slow at this place, but the weekend before last they hit a new low! We had a yen for steamers and decided to try it for lunch despite mediocre results in the past. NEVER AGAIN! There were very few customers there when we arrived. Nevertheless it took the better part of 15 minutes for our waiter to acknowledge our presence. Drinks were slow in coming, and his return to take our order was even slower. We ordered - mostly steamers. Then 15 minutes later he returned to inform us that they had not received any steamers that day. We should have known to leave, but were hungry and changed our orders. 30-40 minutes later the food had still not arrived. Fuming, I told the waiter from hell to cancel our food order and bring the check. At that point he went to the kitchen and instantly brought out our food - which was lousey!
NEVER order the Shrimp/Crab "Stew"! It is overpriced drool! A lukewarm broth, mine had exactly ONE small shrimp and a few tiny bits of crab, and nothing else. This place may have been good once, but no more. Go around the corner to the Thirsty Lion or Kells instead.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Valley Heights, Australia
“Had a beer, liked the atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Dropped in for a beer, loved the friendliness and the nook and cranny layout. Bumped into a conference party who were also having a pre-dinner refresher - they were dining. Said it was one of the best eating spots in the district. Shame I am not big on seafood.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
McMinnville, Oregon
“Not bad”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

They have decent drinks, food is pretty good but prices a little on the high side. All in all, not bad.

Visited June 2013
Waldport
“Totally Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

My friend and I had read about this restaurant previously so we decided to give it a try. I am sorry to say our lunch experience was a complete "bust".

I could hardly wait to try the Scallops. I ordered the 1/2 size at $12.95. My plate came and there were 2 scallops, a handful of limp salad greens without another ingredient added to them, and some french fries. I asked the waitress about the 2 scallops thinking maybe it was a mistake? She told me that their food is weighed and they both added up to 6 oz. They were both pretty small, so not sure about the weight being accurate. I live on the Oregon Coast and we know good sized scallops....lol.....these were just regular size, nothing fancy. So who comes to lunch expecting such small portions? The salad was nothing, the fries okay and I left paying $12.95 plus additional tip. I also left still hungry.

They may have better options, but this I will never know as I won't ever be going back. To anyone who wants to eat there, I would say you might want to try another place where you actually get some food. If you do eat there, I would suggest you don't order the Scallops unless you are on a strict diet and don't mind totally overpaying for what you get.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Martinsville, Virginia
“Smoked Salmon Chowder - Yum, Yum!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

We ate at Dan and Louis Oyster Bar while visiting the Saturday Market in downtown Portland. Its a great old bar that is stuck in behind the Thirsty Lion Pub and Grill. We happened on it by chance after seeing the line around the block to get into Voodoo Donuts. It was lunchtime and we didn't get any donuts, but I had the best fish tacos ever and an amazingly tasty smoked salmon chowder. I would go back just for another bowl of that chowder! I think everybody else's food was good too, but I was so focused on the chowder that I can't remember.

• Visited September 2013