“Memory Lane...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Dan and Louis Oyster Bar

Dan and Louis Oyster Bar
208 SW Ankeny St, Portland, OR 97204-2707 (Old Town - Chinatown)
503-227-5906
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #915 of 3,282 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Seafood, Pacific Rim
Good for: Entertaining clients, Local cuisine, Families with children, Doing business, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Old Town - Chinatown
Holladay, Utah
“Memory Lane...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

I first came to Dan and Louis' in 1952 - I was nine years old. The place hasn't changed at all except for the oyster shucking room that has now been renovated for some other use. The Oyster stew has always been a highlight and I would recommend it as the best anywhere. Service is excellent (Thanks, Leann!). I wouldn't go for the fried food - it's not so good. French fries are fresh and good. Crab and shrimp salads are tops. A big thumbs up to the owners for keeping this classic place, well... classic!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Atlanta, Georgia
“Really love this place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

I love oysters and pinot, so every time I visit Portland I try to eat here. Truth be told, some of the food is good but not great, and everything is overpriced, but I love this place -- the oysters are really fresh, the wine list is really good, and I always enjoy the experience.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
wrobobrad
“Don't believe the menu”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

Good service and nice atmosphere. I don't recommend the food though. They advertise on the menu that you will get oyster(S) and scallops(S) and prawn(S) for $23. If you like getting what you pay for then DON'T Come here. Pay for a lot of seafood and get a pathetic dish with a boat-load of fries to make up the difference...maybe.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver, Canada
“Come for a drink and a wander, avoid the food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

This restaurant has apparently been in business in downtown Portland since the early 1900s. We ate outside at a picnic table in the bricked alley way. Until I got lost on the way to the washroom and had a gander at all the interior sea going memorabilia in the three or four large rooms made up to look like the interior of a ship, I was really at a loss for the draw. The crab cakes my husband had were so unmemorable a day later that he still isn't entirely sure that's what he ate. My little pan fried oysters were memorable to me because I was so disappointed. They were crusted in something that tasted grey. The tarter sauce was equally paste-like. The sides of coleslaw and caesar salad that I chose were also lacking in any spark of flavour. I wasn't upset when it started to sprinkle and we decided to hurry away.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Isleton, California
“Oyster heaven”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Stopped in just for Oysters and we were very happy with the freshness and quality. The clam chowder was also very good. We had a crab and shrimp cocktail and felt a little ripped off because they charged us $14 and we got about 1/8 cup of crab and 1/8 cup of shrimp. they filled the bottom of the bowl with lettuce so it looked like there was more than there actually was. Other than that the only other negative thing I can say is the place is very out dated. It is dark and dinghy and really is in need of a good make over. I know it is like the oldest restaurant in Portland but that is no reason to keep it looking like it does. You can remodel and still keep it looking like a restaurant from the early 1900.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere