“Delightful find on Division” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #236 of 3,629 Restaurants in Portland
Good for: Families with children, Outdoor seating, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch
Portland, Oregon, United States
“Delightful find on Division”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

We found Clay's when we were on the way to a concert nearby. There were restaurants all over, but the traffic was heavy, and we didn't want to cross the street. Fate led us there... The decor is authentic funky. We got to feel very comfortable about the time we began studying the menu and pricing. The menu was incredibly varied, and prices were very affordable. From what I saw, there was very little of the expensive side-picking that you get from other BBQ joints. It either came with it or was available for a nominal amount. Now, then... this was good bbq! Nicely smoked, and wonderful sauces as well. I had meatloaf, the special, and my wife had a pulled pork sandwich. Both were superb! We'll be back!

• Visited May 2013

Orlando, Florida
“Great, authentic smoked BBQ, pleasant service/atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

We by chance came upon Clay's while visiting Portland and staying down the street. I had wanted BBQ for some time, and I'm so glad we came to Clay's. It had a nice, casual, eclectic atmosphere. The service was fast and friendly, but above all, the food was excellent. We had the ribs and beef brisket sandwich; both were excellent, but I think the ribs were best. It was just a tiny bit expensive $10 for a sandwich); however the servings were ample, the food was delicious, and the service was very pleasant and fast. We would go back. Try the ribs, the meat falls off the bone.

• Visited May 2013
Portland, Oregon
“Yes, yes and more yes”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

Cozy spot with just enough tables and a glass of wine while you wait. Large portions of perfectly seasoned soul food and a few interesting combinations. The cold smoked seafood platter was big enough for three of us to share as an appetizer, and we still took portions home. Friendly wait staff and greens so fresh I'm near positive they were picked out back. Can't get this place outta my head!

• Visited April 2013
Denver, CO
“Clay's Be Smokin' Something Good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

This smokehouse offers good ribs (special pricing on afternoons, I think just Friday), a nice set of draft beers & a generally comfortable atmosphere for BBQ-consumption. A few outside picnic tables are available if you want to watch the rain come down as you chomp on those ribs. Service is decent with no nonsense. Praise Clay's cuz they be smoking something good!

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Butte
“The way BBQ should be.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

If you are looking for a refined experience, don't go to Clay's. If you are looking for awesome BBQ in the kind of atmosphere that understands you sometimes need draw-string pants to fully enjoy the experience, go to Clay's. They aren't going to judge you if, like me, you like to swim in BBQ sauce. The waitresses are appropriately sassy and fun. The atmosphere is perfect paired with the food, casual and utilitarian. I greatly enjoyed my evening there and would go back again when a BBQ craving hits me. The only tiny downside is that they didn't serve cornbread. As a person who also loves cornbread, let me tell you, what they lack in cornbread, they make up for in every other item on the menu.

• Visited April 2012